d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Wilderness Survival Techniques Thread
Prev13435363738Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 849.09
Nov 12 2019 01:17pm
Quote (SheriffCool @ Nov 6 2019 03:44pm)
Awesome scenery for sure. That looks like your getting the hang of it and getting it tuned in good for what you like. nice lightweight setup sure makes it nice I bet. I always clear the leaves around my spot just to lessen the noise I make in the woods, helps to see more animals.

Haha, I see what you did there... but yes, definitely getting the hang of it :P

I never considered it would help me to see more animals. I'm typically a 3-season camper, but I'll be dabbling with some winter hikes this year. Would you clear the snow from your surroundings as well? Either push it aside or stomp it down?

Gold: 1,250.00
Nov 12 2019 01:28pm
Quote (Zigity @ Nov 12 2019 02:17pm)
Haha, I see what you did there... but yes, definitely getting the hang of it :P

I never considered it would help me to see more animals. I'm typically a 3-season camper, but I'll be dabbling with some winter hikes this year. Would you clear the snow from your surroundings as well? Either push it aside or stomp it down?

If you clear it away, it won't get all slushy from walking on it and generally is less slippery. Being careful not to twist an ankle or something when you get out away from civilization is important too.
Gold: 3.82
Dec 16 2019 09:43pm
To the pros of these techniques. Does Bear Grylls show on surviving techniques actually work?
Dec 29 2019 06:50pm
Quote (A1RES @ Dec 16 2019 10:43pm)
To the pros of these techniques. Does Bear Grylls show on surviving techniques actually work?

I imagine some of them do, but I haven't watch much of his stuff, it seemed like he was just kind of trying to be shocking from the few outtakes I saw of his show. Survivorman is a pretty good series on solo survival in various climates and conditions, Les Stroud is a hell of a woodsman from Canada.
Gold: 222.69
Warn: 30%
Feb 22 2020 08:20pm
Nvm

This post was edited by Greater on Feb 22 2020 08:20pm
Mar 18 2020 12:30pm
With quarantine and self isolation, it might be a good time to practice some techniques out in nature away from people.
Gold: 849.09
Apr 6 2020 10:06am
Quote (SheriffCool @ Mar 18 2020 02:30pm)
With quarantine and self isolation, it might be a good time to practice some techniques out in nature away from people.

I have been using all of my extra free time to strengthen myself in two areas (since my strength in the gym is no longer an option); the kitchen and the outdoors. I am becoming quite the chef and meal prepping now. That's another story. As far as my time outside, I am trying out all sorts of new configurations with my hammock and tarp setups. I've been learning and practicing a lot of knots, starting fires with a striker (and cheating with dryer lint to help me get it started if it's extra windy), and other miscellaneous stuff. I am starting a blog and youtube channel about my adventures, nothing serious where I am trying to be a promoter or anything like that - just as a hobby.

Working on optimizing my 3-season New England climate backpack setup for a 2-3 day trip. I have a 65L backpack that fits everything I need. I would like to optimize my cooking setup. I am stuck between a JetBoil MiniMo and the Trangia setup. If I was a better fisherman, I would just bring a collapsible pole and use a campfire in some situations. Other than that, my shelter setup is beyond on-point as long as I am below the tree line. There will be times in the White Mountains this year where I will need to improvise with a sleeping pad or configure some sort of hammock stands. The next thing I am realizing is that I may become a weight weenie. I consider myself strong and in shape, so I never really cared about the pounds and would sacrifice weight for comfort. But as I tote around my whole load, I am starting to see that I don't need to be such a diva at the cost of my aching back after a long day. While I originally converted from tents to hammocks to save weight, my bling'd-out setup is now the same weight, if not more, than a small tent. It is a lot more comfortable, though.

Wishing health and happiness to my fellow outdoorsmen.

Also taking suggestions for new things to learn!

I've been following this guy, Shug, for a while. He's entertaining and informative when it comes to all things hammock. Here's a look at him reviewing a nice tarp, I just recently ordered this as well and will be setting it up for the first time this evening.

Apr 8 2020 04:51am
Quote (Zigity @ Apr 6 2020 12:06pm)
I have been using all of my extra free time to strengthen myself in two areas (since my strength in the gym is no longer an option); the kitchen and the outdoors. I am becoming quite the chef and meal prepping now. That's another story. As far as my time outside, I am trying out all sorts of new configurations with my hammock and tarp setups. I've been learning and practicing a lot of knots, starting fires with a striker (and cheating with dryer lint to help me get it started if it's extra windy), and other miscellaneous stuff. I am starting a blog and youtube channel about my adventures, nothing serious where I am trying to be a promoter or anything like that - just as a hobby.

Working on optimizing my 3-season New England climate backpack setup for a 2-3 day trip. I have a 65L backpack that fits everything I need. I would like to optimize my cooking setup. I am stuck between a JetBoil MiniMo and the Trangia setup. If I was a better fisherman, I would just bring a collapsible pole and use a campfire in some situations. Other than that, my shelter setup is beyond on-point as long as I am below the tree line. There will be times in the White Mountains this year where I will need to improvise with a sleeping pad or configure some sort of hammock stands. The next thing I am realizing is that I may become a weight weenie. I consider myself strong and in shape, so I never really cared about the pounds and would sacrifice weight for comfort. But as I tote around my whole load, I am starting to see that I don't need to be such a diva at the cost of my aching back after a long day. While I originally converted from tents to hammocks to save weight, my bling'd-out setup is now the same weight, if not more, than a small tent. It is a lot more comfortable, though.

Wishing health and happiness to my fellow outdoorsmen.

Also taking suggestions for new things to learn!

I've been following this guy, Shug, for a while. He's entertaining and informative when it comes to all things hammock. Here's a look at him reviewing a nice tarp, I just recently ordered this as well and will be setting it up for the first time this evening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33YokdK6oTg

Pretty cool man! Might as well make the best of it. Morel mushrooms will be popping here soon, I have been taking my dog out looking for them and deer antler sheds. I was going to do some videos too, but I am just too lazy...lol
Gold: 5,895.00
Apr 8 2020 04:42pm
Big fan of Joe Robinet on Youtube. Lots of informative channels to watch there.

Apr 8 2020 06:09pm
Quote (said_aouita @ Apr 8 2020 06:42pm)
Big fan of Joe Robinet on Youtube. Lots of informative channels to watch there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsiKGZRlJS8

Nice! Thanks!
Go Back To Sports Coliseum Topic List
Prev13435363738Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll