d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Wilderness Survival Techniques Thread
Prev1293031323338Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,250.00
Dec 15 2018 04:33am
Quote (Cantfitedathielen @ Dec 14 2018 09:52pm)
I’ve always applied.

In that case then, NO.
Banned
Gold: 66.00
Dec 15 2018 08:26am
Quote (SheriffCool @ Dec 15 2018 06:33am)
In that case then, NO.

Marry Christmas
Dec 15 2018 01:53pm
Quote (Cantfitedathielen @ Dec 15 2018 10:26am)
Marry Christmas

Happy New Account
Jan 13 2019 07:17am
Opening a sports store/ pawn shop so hopefully I'll get some cool survival gear in to share with everyone!
Feb 15 2019 06:59pm
Quote (SheriffCool @ Jan 13 2019 09:17am)
Opening a sports store/ pawn shop so hopefully I'll get some cool survival gear in to share with everyone!

Getting there! No Survival stuff yet!
Gold: 166.00
Feb 18 2019 08:23am
Quote (SheriffCool @ Dec 15 2018 01:53pm)
Happy New Account

Well played
Gold: 849.09
Feb 18 2019 07:40pm
I hope this fits here. I'm super excited about this, anyways..

Just dropped $495 to back a new camping setup from a great company, Kammok, from Austin, TX. It's called the Mantis UL (UltraLight - packs at less than 2lbs for you weight junkies)

Here's a link for those interested (Sheriff, are you familiar with hammocks? You could set up a sweet demo between the two poles in your store- also congrats on the store!)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kammok/mantis-all-in-one-hammock-tent

I've been an outdoors type of person, hiking and camping, for my entire life. About 2-3 years ago, I was introduced to the world of hammocks. At first sight, I fell in love. Slowly, I've been transitioning my setup from tents to hammocks. Especially in New England, with a true 4 season environment, and also lots of wet grounds, it makes so much sense to hang from a tree for shelter.

My new setup will be an all-in-one hammock which includes an integrated (and removable) bugnet, structural ridgeline, and hexagonal rain fly. The tier I supported on kickstarter also includes some really exciting things which were the dealbreaker for me. It includes a winter cover which integrates just like the bug net via zipper, and the Firebelly trail quilt which is down and rated to 30* (I don't camp any colder anyways). The Firebelly will be used as an underquilt in my setup, but it could also just be a regular throw blanket or serve function as a sleeping bag. It also includes a puffin camp pillow (Never used one, but seems like it could be cool).

$495 is a hefty price tag, and there are most definitely comparable and lesser priced alternatives. However, the "all-in-one" hammock is newer-ish to the hammock world. Kammok is high quality stuff, I have had a few different hammocks over the years and fell in love with this company not only for their quality, but also what they stand for. With a MSRP of $672, I couldn't help but jump on this. The underquilt (Firebelly) was the deal breaker. You can easily spend $200-$300 on a quality underquilt alone.

Anyways, it is expected to begin production after this round of funding ends on March 5, and ship out by the end of May. Kammok has already done 5 or 6 rounds on Kickstarter, and reached their $70,000 goal in less than 24 hours this time around (at the time of my contribution, they were are 191% of their desired funding). Super excited to hang on this!

Tried to include some images, sorry for making it look like an advertisement. Since it hasn't been released yet, there's really only Kammok-released promotional material. Happy hanging to all!

Feb 18 2019 09:34pm
That is pretty bad ass. I have a few hammocks but mainly military style for my rucksack. We have a few around the yard in the summer just to chill on. I have slept high a few times in bear country and it's an awesome experience of you have never done it
That would be something I would be personally interested in, but probably wouldn't be able to sell many if any at my store.
Gold: 849.09
Feb 18 2019 09:56pm
Quote (SheriffCool @ Feb 18 2019 10:34pm)
That is pretty bad ass. I have a few hammocks but mainly military style for my rucksack. We have a few around the yard in the summer just to chill on. I have slept high a few times in bear country and it's an awesome experience of you have never done it
That would be something I would be personally interested in, but probably wouldn't be able to sell many if any at my store.

Never really been to bear country, but do you mean you were hammocking high up in the trees? So bears wouldn't eat you? That's really cool. Would love to experience that.

If you like to backpack, hammocks make much more sense than tents in my opinion. They each have their advantages and disadvantages, though.

I need to decide if I want to go olive green or bright orange... my brain is telling me to go all bright orange in case I ever need to be seen. But I love my privacy and blending in. I'll probably end up with the gray rain fly, a bright orange hammock (which typically hangs under the rain fly and isn't seen) and the red-orange underquilt (that hangs around and beneath the hammock). I wouldn't be opposed to a green rain fly, though.
Feb 19 2019 06:19pm
Quote (Zigity @ Feb 18 2019 11:56pm)
Never really been to bear country, but do you mean you were hammocking high up in the trees? So bears wouldn't eat you? That's really cool. Would love to experience that.

If you like to backpack, hammocks make much more sense than tents in my opinion. They each have their advantages and disadvantages, though.

I need to decide if I want to go olive green or bright orange... my brain is telling me to go all bright orange in case I ever need to be seen. But I love my privacy and blending in. I'll probably end up with the gray rain fly, a bright orange hammock (which typically hangs under the rain fly and isn't seen) and the red-orange underquilt (that hangs around and beneath the hammock). I wouldn't be opposed to a green rain fly, though.

Yes for bears and other predators/scavengers. We have bears, wolves, wild pigs, wild dogs, and mountain lions at the top of my list of stuff to avoid, and most of them can't climb, and mountain lions generally don't mess with you too much. It's nice to sleep up high and pull up all your food and stuff you dont want messed with. You just have to make sure you seal yourself up right so you cant roll out and make sure to set your lines well and make sure they dont have any frayed spots or have been compromised in another way such as dry rot or something, because its a long way to fall, and trees sway the higher you go and your roes will get more wear up there, even overnight. I always carry a 50 ft roll of 550 para cord to make any repairs and use for raising /lowering gear and tying my hammock shut once Im in for the night. I would go with a green or another color that blends in as long as you have the inner orange stuff to aid in rescue if you ever need it. Just my 2 cents...lol

This post was edited by SheriffCool on Feb 19 2019 06:22pm
Go Back To Sports Coliseum Topic List
Prev1293031323338Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll