d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Wilderness Survival Techniques Thread
Prev123438Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,250.00
Jan 2 2013 05:46am
Quote (CeMeTeRy @ Jan 1 2013 08:59pm)
get a pharoah rod or some sort of magnesium stick to start a fire.
Iodine or similar water purification tablets are a must in a survival kit
replace shoelaces/bootlace with 550 paracord

For a car survival kit, I wouldn't mess with a mag stick, or chlorine or iodine tablets, I just bring water and a lighter. Now in a pack made for survival, I would certainly bring those things, because the tablets are easier to carry than water, but they have a straw now you can buy that will purify like 50 gallons of water and its about the size of big ink pen. A lot more convenient than carrying some sort of container and drinking water that tastes like ass, if you have ever drank chlorinated or iodine cleansed water you know what I mean. This pen has a charcoal filter, removing like 98% of waterborne pathogens. There is no "right way" to do most of this, more like, what fits me best. Everyone has different capabilities and skills, I do like your idea of trying to make a shelter, the 2 main things a shelter should provide is protection from the wind, and protection from rain/snow. The best thing for a roof in my area is pine bows, or branches cut from a pine tree then overlapped from the bottom point on the roof to the top to allow the water to run off. The pitch from pine trees can be used for several things including Glue or gum, or as a fire starter as it is will com bust easily and holds water out. You can also use a pinch of pine sap to help cure a toothache if you put the sap on the gum next to the tooth it helps to draw infection out.

This post was edited by clawcool on Jan 2 2013 05:50am
Jan 2 2013 04:43pm

These are Morel mushrooms I found this spring, edible, and taste much like a nut does, like a walnut, if I had to describe it.
They are a delicacy here and sell for $40 a pound.
Jan 2 2013 05:27pm

They can blend in well and be different colors depending on the environment they are in.
Gold: 3,000.00
Warn: 40%
Jan 3 2013 04:00am
cool thread. or could just watch man vs wild :) haha
Jan 3 2013 09:12am
Quote (Kimtown @ Jan 3 2013 06:00am)
cool thread. or could just watch man vs wild :) haha

I made this more to answer questions, which you can't do very easily watching a show.
Gold: 0.26
Warn: 30%
Jan 3 2013 09:39am
join ufc to learn to kickbox bers and shit
Jan 3 2013 12:19pm
I can make a dead fall trap out of logs to kill a bear.no ufc needed. The mind is the strongest weapon one can posess.
Gold: 0.03
Jan 13 2013 10:59am
Glad to see a thread like this up. lacking info in here, but that is more than likely because no one has asked any questions. :)

Clawcool, what resource did you use to learn your edible wild plant knowledge and what do you use for a field reference?

I have read Samuel Thayer's books and found them full of good insightful knowledge. They seem to be much better than the rest, however they are not really a book to pack with you when you are out on adventures due to their thickness. I usually take a Peterson's hand book with me as a field reference, but unfortunately some of the info in it is straight up wrong and it lacks the high quality pics that Thayer's books have.

Quote (TeaRs- @ Jan 2 2013 02:53am)
I will be up this year somtime lol. Watching dual survival atm actually rofl

You should check out some of Ray Mear's vids, they have some pretty useful info too.

and btw this statement....
Quote (clawcool @ Jan 2 2013 05:46pm)
A lot more convenient than carrying some sort of container and drinking water that tastes like ass, if you have ever drank chlorinated or iodine cleansed water you know what I mean. This pen has a charcoal filter, removing like 98% of waterborne pathogens. There is no "right way" to do most of this, more like, what fits me best.

...absolutely absurd. Not the part about drinking chlorinated or iodine cleansed water, but that fact that you are suggesting carrying a drinking container to be not convenient. Not only is it more convenient, it is a pretty big necessity. If you do not carry one, be prepared to make one or go for long stretches without water.. Them straws would be good to use to drink water from your container AFTER you boil it or use UV to treat it. And there most certainly is a right way of doing stuff. Those straws might remove 98% of stuff, but anyone who knows anything about water filtration knows that 98% is actually not very high of a removal percentage, it lets lots of nasty things threw still. Using that straw alone is a good way to get sick, and in a real survival situation becoming sickly is basically the same thing as becoming dead.

This post was edited by Bear_Grylls on Jan 13 2013 11:16am
Gold: 0.00
Jan 13 2013 02:14pm
Quote (TeaRs- @ Jan 1 2013 02:53pm)
I will be up this year somtime lol. Watching dual survival atm actually rofl

dave isnt on there any more but he has many youtube videos of his survival camps he is running

this is his youtube name wildernessoutfitters http://www.youtube.com/user/wildernessoutfitters?feature=g-high-u

he shows just about everything from making tools/weps/ traps to using modern traps and building shelter ect

This post was edited by Raley on Jan 13 2013 02:17pm
Gold: 678.00
Jan 13 2013 06:49pm
Nice thread

I recommend this book as well for anyone interested:

John 'Lofty' Wiseman's SAS Survival Guide.
Go Back To Sports Coliseum Topic List
Prev123438Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll