d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Hockey > Official Vancouver Canucks Fan Thread > We're All Canucks
Prev1756757758759760869Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 17,801.00
Aug 28 2021 07:41pm
Quote (Secksii @ Aug 27 2021 01:29pm)

These are the kind of players you want to draft in the later rounds.

Serviceable players that can come in on the 3rd/4th line and be serviceable on an elc or cost effective contract.

Teams win when their depth players are drafted from within because if gives you that extra cap space to acquire that one player to puts you ahead of the pack.

Looking at successful teams it is a trend that 3rd/4th players and bottom pair d-men are drafted and built from within in the later rounds. If you have to fill the all roster spots with these type of players from outside the organization you won't be as competitive.

This post was edited by Killingyouall on Aug 28 2021 07:44pm
Gold: 12,140.00
Sep 16 2021 11:13pm
Can't wait for the season to start.

My expectations aren't extremely high but it'll almost feel like a fresh team. Most of the baggage that we gripe about is gone and we have some new faces that could be major factors, OEL and POD especially.

At the very least this should be the official start of the upward trajectory. Looking forward to a strong season from all our young core guys led of course by the two guys who aren't even signed yet lol

I wouldn't be shocked if we miss the playoffs but if we aren't right there fighting for it til the end, it'll be a disappointment. Although that would be a blessing in disguise cause Benning would be outta here.

This post was edited by LuLer on Sep 16 2021 11:15pm
Gold: 2,647.74
Sep 17 2021 01:19am
The future has been mortgaged, anyways. This is the last year this core will have together, God knows how many other players will the OEL trade and Myers signing cost us. And this is barely a bubble team. Seven years of Benning have led us to be the Jets for one season, and seven more years of mediocrity beyond that. What a time to be alive as a Canucks fan. /s

This post was edited by Hizkuntza on Sep 17 2021 01:21am
Sep 17 2021 09:44am
Quote (Hizkuntza @ Sep 17 2021 12:19am)
The future has been mortgaged, anyways. This is the last year this core will have together, God knows how many other players will the OEL trade and Myers signing cost us. And this is barely a bubble team. Seven years of Benning have led us to be the Jets for one season, and seven more years of mediocrity beyond that. What a time to be alive as a Canucks fan. /s

I think most of the core will be intact for the season after, as well (22-23). Whatever raises we have to give will be covered by Luongo's cap coming off.

The year after that will be the problem as Horvat, Miller and Hoglander will all need new contracts with not much cap coming off and at that point the cap probably isn't going to be much higher than it is now.

That said, the roster is average and capped out. We'll need some young guys like Rathbone and Pod to really be impact players while they're still cheap to give us a push. Fingers crossed.

This post was edited by LuLer on Sep 17 2021 09:45am
Gold: 8,732.50
Sep 17 2021 03:22pm
I think Benning should trade Miller, but I doubt it cuz he rarely trades anyone while their value is high and they leave for basically nothing. He's 28, and will be 30 by end of his current contract. I rather not see a 6x6 benning special. Unless ofc, Miller goes another notch above with Petey.

Sep 17 2021 03:31pm
Quote (Secksii @ Sep 17 2021 02:22pm)
I think Benning should trade Miller, but I doubt it cuz he rarely trades anyone while their value is high and they leave for basically nothing. He's 28, and will be 30 by end of his current contract. I rather not see a 6x6 benning special. Unless ofc, Miller goes another notch above with Petey.

Can't see it happening. Trading Miller would likely mean a step back and Benning has no room for that, he's used up all his good will and time.

If we don't make the playoffs this year, he's fired.

If we don't make noise in the playoffs next year, he's fired.
Sep 17 2021 04:02pm
Quote (LuLer @ 17 Sep 2021 14:31)
Can't see it happening. Trading Miller would likely mean a step back and Benning has no room for that, he's used up all his good will and time.

If we don't make the playoffs this year, he's fired.

If we don't make noise in the playoffs next year, he's fired.

He definitely won't trade him now or start of next year, the timing should be towards the end of next year. However, I agree with you, he won't do it. After the results of next year, Miller will sign his last cash in contract or be gone for nothing through FA.

This post was edited by Secksii on Sep 17 2021 04:05pm
Gold: 17,801.00
Sep 17 2021 07:44pm
I feel the Canucks will make the playoffs.

After that anything is possible.

Demko can steal a series and the Canucks are pretty strong up front.

If some of the young D-men perform better than expected I could see them being a solid team.

This post was edited by Killingyouall on Sep 17 2021 07:45pm
Sep 17 2021 10:31pm
Gold: 2,647.74
Sep 18 2021 04:05pm
Quote (LuLer @ Sep 17 2021 08:44am)
I think most of the core will be intact for the season after, as well (22-23). Whatever raises we have to give will be covered by Luongo's cap coming off.

The year after that will be the problem as Horvat, Miller and Hoglander will all need new contracts with not much cap coming off and at that point the cap probably isn't going to be much higher than it is now.

That said, the roster is average and capped out. We'll need some young guys like Rathbone and Pod to really be impact players while they're still cheap to give us a push. Fingers crossed.

At this point Petey and Hughes will probably get bridges that will take up the rest of the cap room.

In 2-3 years it will be logistically impossible to retain a lot of the core without major trades.

Next season, maybe we retain Boeser and Motte with Lu off the books but there's no room for additions and the team is still deeply flawed. Only Podz and Rathbone figure to contribute ELC's, if even that.

Then Miller/Horvat will need raises and term if they're to be retained, and that might coincide with the Hughes/Petey bridges. If Hoglander keeps impressing he will also need a decent payday. There will still be a year left on Myers/Pearson and too many on OEL. That's when the wheels WILL come off - you're talking an extra +10 million at the margin and there's no room unless the cap increases a lot.

Teams know the big caps are immovable, and Benning never thinks a year ahead. No one will be traded when their return can still be maximized. Most likely Miller walks and Boeser gets traded more like a cap dump than a valuable player. Because of all the trades no one will come remotely close to filling the gap they will leave behind.

So our "window" is only two seasons. The team can barely play defense and doesn't stand to get any better. We're basically asking Demko to be our Giguere to get anywhere because Green is not the guy to get the team to play a rigid structure.

/e and it's ridiculous we essentially lost last season because of Benning's bad contracts, then he decides to "salvage" this year by mortgaging 2-3 years into the future. the clown knows he's gone if he misses the playoffs now, and the clown owner is just as shortsighted.

This post was edited by Hizkuntza on Sep 18 2021 04:15pm
Go Back To Hockey Topic List
Prev1756757758759760869Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll