d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Football & Rugby > Official Detroit Lions Fan Thread
Prev123456782Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.01
Sep 13 2010 12:49pm
Quote (Honestly @ Sep 13 2010 12:48pm)
even with stafford you will be lucky to go 1-15

If his healthy which I don't think he'll be 100% till after the lockout we will take at least 3-4 we his back.
Gold: 250.00
Warn: 10%
Sep 13 2010 01:17pm
Quote (Shroom2 @ Sep 12 2010 02:55pm)
ne1 else think that call was total bs?

I got fucked hard because of that, I have Stafford + Johnson on my team so I got raped this week. Would of actually won if they wouldn't have fucked the lions over on that call.
Gold: 315.00
Sep 13 2010 03:19pm
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Sep 13 2010 02:17pm)
I got fucked hard because of that, I have Stafford + Johnson on my team so I got raped this week. Would of actually won if they wouldn't have fucked the lions over on that call.

Same. In a few leagues actually (I only had CJ tho...well and Best...but i won't complain about him)
Gold: 69.19
Sep 13 2010 05:56pm
a detroit lions fan thread O_O

you all must be sum loyal fans im from the detroit area haha

they will get their good season soon possible even this year ^_^
Gold: 13,891.00
Sep 13 2010 10:45pm
Quote (Pete1028 @ Sep 13 2010 07:56pm)
a detroit lions fan thread O_O

you all must be sum loyal fans im from the detroit area haha

they will get their good season soon possible even this year  ^_^

nope their chances this year are shot. Stafford is out for a while and I dont see Lions winning games without him.

On top of that - robbed on a win on Sunday...If he would have spiked the ball it would have been a damn TD...

How the HELL is this a TD... http://www.nfl.com/videos/carolina-panthers/09000d5d812c187e/Rosario-11-yd-TD-catch
Gold: 69.19
Sep 14 2010 03:46am
Quote (Stealth_7788 @ Sep 14 2010 12:45am)
nope their chances this year are shot.  Stafford is out for a while and I dont see Lions winning games without him. 

On top of that - robbed on a win on Sunday...If he would have spiked the ball it would have been a damn TD...

How the HELL is this a TD...  http://www.nfl.com/videos/carolina-panthers/09000d5d812c187e/Rosario-11-yd-TD-catch

yea i saw all that, was a load of bs

lions gunna go for another 0-16? haha
Sep 14 2010 05:06pm
Lions have faith in backup QB Shaun Hill

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100914/OPINION03/9140323/Lions-have-faith-in-backup-QB-Shaun-Hill

He's a "wily veteran." And he's a "football-playin' dude."

But whatever he is, we'll find out sooner than anyone intended whether Shaun Hill is still a winning quarterback as an NFL starter.

Because with Matthew Stafford out because of a shoulder injury suffered in Sunday's season-opening loss at Chicago, that's the role Hill will be asked to play Sunday when the Lions host the Philadelphia Eagles at Ford Field.

Stafford's down, though not technically out yet. So Hill's moving up the depth chart in relief, a reality the Lions weren't ready to officially announce Monday, even amid reports Stafford could miss a month or more.

"We have a lot of confidence in Shaun," coach Jim Schwartz said at his weekly news conference, adding that the mid-March trade with San Francisco that brought Hill to Detroit "was one of our biggest offseason acquisitions."

Whether that's true, we're about to find out. The Lions haven't had a backup quarterback win for them as a fill-in starter since 2005, when Joey Harrington and Jeff Garcia took turns doing it. But they're going to need one now if they're going to keep this season from beginning an all-too-familiar spiral.

And Sunday, Hill will get another chance to do what he did in San Francisco, where he went 10-6 as a starter the last three years, with most of that success coming as an elevated backup in 2007 and '08.

"Obviously, my job is to step in and pick up where (Stafford) left off," Hill said Sunday, after a shaky debut (9-of-19, 88 yards, one interception) in the second half of the 19-14 loss at Soldier Field. "That's the job of the backup and I feel like I'm very qualified for that."

The Lions certainly agree.

That's why they dealt a seventh-round pick to the 49ers six months ago to snag the 30-year-old Hill before he hit the open market. And it's why they opted this summer to extend his expiring contract through 2011. He knows coordinator Scott Linehan's system well after spending his first four NFL seasons playing in it in Minnesota, and he has his teammates' trust.

"Shaun's a wily veteran," said receiver Calvin Johnson, "and he knows what to do."

Added linebacker Julian Peterson: "We'll feel confident with Shaun coming in this week and running the offense the way it's supposed to run."

Effective, if not pretty just don't expect it to look quite the same, though, because Stafford and Hill aren't cut from the same mold. That's why one was the No. 1 overall pick who signed a $72 million contract and started from Day 1, while the other went undrafted and didn't take a snap until he got to take a knee at the end of his fourth NFL season.

"Shaun's a football-playin' dude," Schwartz said. "He doesn't always look pretty. But he knows where to go with the football, he's been very productive, he's got a lot of experience, he's very smart and he understands not only our offense but opponents' defenses.

"And like he said, he's a football-playin' dude. He has a good feel for the game. He just knows how to go out there and play."

Sunday, he'll get another chance to do just that.

"I'm very comfortable," Hill said. "It's my job to be ready, no matter what. And I feel like that's been my M.O. my whole career."

Schwartz stuck to his modus operandi Monday -- he wasn't about to offer many details about Stafford's injury status. All he'd say was that Stafford was "very sore" and that the team did get some good news from the MRI results in that "it doesn't look like surgery is going to be needed."

So, at the very least, it would appear his season's not over. Still, if it's a second-degree sprained AC joint in his throwing shoulder, as multiple reports have indicated, then it seems likely he won't be back playing until October.

"We don't want to rush him back," Schwartz acknowledged. "We don't want to put him out there if he's not able to make all the throws."

Instead, they'll put Hill out there. And understandably, the fans are wondering whether he can make enough of the throws after Sunday's showing.

Offense needs a spark

The Lions' offense wasn't exactly clicking with Stafford under center in the first half. But when Hill came in to start the third quarter, the offense went from bad to worse. His first seven possessions produced five punts, an interception, a fumble and only one first down.

But to be fair, all but one of those drives began inside the Lions' own 22-yard line, and four began backed up inside the 15. That and the fact the Lions, who couldn't muster any semblance of a running game against the Bears, were trying to protect a lead made for some too-conservative play-calling.

And as Schwartz was quick to point out Monday, but for the infamous non-catch by Calvin Johnson in the final minute, Hill might've been hailed as the hero who rescued the Lions with a six-play, 83-yard touchdown drive to end a 20-game road losing streak.

"That was a heck of a drive," Schwartz said. "If that ball's complete right there, the Shaun Hill 2-minute drive at the end of that game is a story that would've been easy to write."

Easier said than done, obviously. But Hill will get a chance to write another Sunday, from start to finish.

Getting to know ...
Shaun Hill

Shaun Hill

Height/weight: 6-3, 220

College: Maryland

NFL experience: Vikings (2002-05), 49ers (2006-09), Lions (2010)

Career record as starter: 10-6 with 23 TDs, 11 INTs, 61.7 completion percentage

2009 as a starter: 3-3 with five TDs, two INTs, 56.1 completion percentage

Eagles at Lions
Kickoff: 1 p.m. Sunday, Ford Field, Detroit

TV/radio: Fox (subject to blackout)/WXYT 97.1

Records: Eagles 0-1, Lions 0-1

Line: Eagles by 3

I hope Shaun Hill can provide us the needed yards we need to beat the Eagles.

This post was edited by LetsG0Blue on Sep 14 2010 05:07pm
Gold: 201.02
Warn: 100%
Sep 14 2010 05:10pm
Yeah hopefully Shaun Hill can just manage the game and we can just get some sort of run game going to help him out.
Sep 20 2010 08:22pm
Head Coach Jim Schwartz said he was proud of his team following a 35-32 down-to-the-wire loss to the Philadelphia Eagles Sunday at Ford Field.

Different than last week when he was upset due to the high number of mistakes resulting in the loss, he addressed adversity the team had to fight early on in this game, which included injuries on both sides of the ball.

“It's a bottom-line league,” said Schwartz. “You'd take a bad win over a tough loss, but I’m proud to stand among the players. This is a tough team.

“This is a team that's resilient, that fights through a lot of situations. I wasn't proud of the result, but I was proud of the effort today.”

The injured player that made things tough on the Lions’ offense was wide receiver Nate Burleson, who suffered an ankle injury on the first play of the game.

Burleson tried to re-enter the game after getting his ankle taped, but was unable to play.

His absence resulted in significant change to the packages Detroit is able to run. Instead of Burleson in as the slot receiver, the Lions had to use tight end Tony Scheffler.

Though the Lions use that personnel often, it typically comes when they are trying to create specific match-ups, not because it is necessity.

“What they were able to do in those situations is go nickel with it and play down and distance, because we didn't really have a whole lot else,” said Schwartz. “It hurts when you lose a player, particularly a starter on the very first play of the game.

“I was proud of our offense, for being able to juggle a lot of different things. A lot of stuff that we went to today, we hadn't really practiced. It was stuff we had run in training camp but it wasn't part of the game plan.”

It marked the second-straight week the Lions’ offensive game plan was adjusted due to a personnel switch. Last week, it was quarterback Shaun Hill entering the game for the injured Matthew Stafford.

Against the Eagles, Hill was named the starter on Wednesday and went through the game plan throughout the week.

"He battled,” said Schwartz. “He had a couple picks. You never want to get picks but I thought he was being aggressive, and he was putting the ball in good spots. I'm sure he was disappointed with the last drive, to go four-and-out on that last one.”

“That last one” was Detroit’s attempt at a fourth-quarter comeback. After a LeSean McCoy touchdown to put Philadelphia ahead 35-17 with 6:27 remaining in the game, the Lions went on a tear to make it a game.

It took the Lions just over two minutes to score a touchdown on a 2-yard run by rookie Jahvid Best.

The touchdown marked his third of the game, capping off a 232 total-yard performance.

"He did what we expected from him,” said Schwartz. “He can give you that ability to take a pass where the quarterback throws it about three yards and go for a touchdown."

After that touchdown, the Detroit defense held Philadelphia three-and-out with the help of big plays from Ashlee Palmer, Ndamukong Suh and Louis Delmas.

“We gave up big plays, but we made big plays,” said defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch. “It’s another one of those games where we have a lot of things to clean up, but also have some things to build off of.”

Detroit came back with a touchdown drive, completed by a 19-yard touchdown catch by wide receiver Calvin Johnson.

The score put Detroit within five, 35-30. The two-point conversion – also to Johnson – put the Lions within three.

With 1:55 remaining in the game, the Lions attempted the on-side kick and recovered it, bringing Ford Field to a roar.

Detroit wasn’t able to convert, however, giving the ball back to the Eagles after four pass attempts and dropping the 35-32 decision.

“It’s deflating; every loss is deflating,” said Hill. “Same thing as last week, we’ve got 24 hours. It should hurt. It better hurt. But after that, we let it go (and) you move on to the next week.

“This is a long season; 0-2 is not out of it. You can’t dwell on that. You go in, you learn from your mistakes and you better come out next week ready to go.”

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/article-1/Schwartz-Proud-of-his-Teams-Response-to-Adversity/bb586ab0-e850-4f6a-b377-ba7f882f9437

Since starting 6-2 in 2007, the Lions have a record of 3-39. Now excuse me while I go cry in the corner.
Sep 24 2010 01:54pm
Best Voted Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Week
Posted by Tara Altman on September 24, 2010 – 1:20 pm
http://nfl.com

Voters on NFL.com have made their choice and selected Detroit Lions Rookie running back Jahvid Best Pepsi’s NFL Rookie of the Week for his remarkable performance in Week 2 against the Philadelphia Eagles.

Best compiled a total of 232 yards from scrimmage (78 rushing, 154 receiving) and and three touchdowns in the Lions 35-32 loss. Best became the first rookie in NFL history with at least 75 yards rushing yards, 150 receiving yards and three touchdowns in a single game.

Best on the honor of being Pepsi’s NFL Rookie of the Week: “That makes you feel good because it’s not just an ESPN analyst, or the guys that do that for a living. It’s the actual fans who are voting, so that makes you feel good because it’s the people that enjoy the game who are voting for you.

“I just go week-by week (when asked about the prospect of being named Rookie of the Year), because if you focus day-in and day-out about getting better as a player and helping the team win, all of the stuff at the end of the year will take care of itself.”

Best was selected from among five finalists through fan votes on NFL.com/rookies.  The other finalists were wide receiver-kick returner Antonio Brown of the Pittsburgh Steelers, wide receiver-kick returner Dez Bryant of the Dallas Cowboys, wide receiver Demaryius Thoams of the Denver Broncos and wide receiver Mike Williams of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

After the regular season, five players will be nominated for Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Year honors.  Fans can vote for the winner on NFL.com/rookies throughout the month of January.  The winner will be announced at a press conference at Super Bowl XLV in North Texas.

This is Pepsi’s ninth year as the official soft drink sponsor of the NFL and the ninth year that Pepsi will present the NFL Rookie of the Week and NFL Rookie of the Year awards.

Gucci, yaahhhh meeeehhhh...
Go Back To Football & Rugby Topic List
Prev123456782Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll