d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Football & Rugby > Official Baltimore Ravens Fan Thread
Prev1126312641265126612671388Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Banned
Gold: 3.69
Warn: 10%
Apr 16 2018 09:04pm
Quote (Terps @ Apr 16 2018 07:54pm)
I know this is a troll comment, but it's true.

The Ravens time is probably over, at least in terms of being a SB contender. Flacco got us a championship, but he seems to be declining at such a rate where keeping him under his current contract will become untenable. Whenever the FO and owner finally accept this, I hope they do an earnest rebuild. Our history would suggest that the philosophy of Bisciotti and Ozzie (who will no longer serve as GM) is to spend to the cap every season and try to compete every year despite the talent they have at QB. Only one year in our franchise history (2002) did the FO make a clear plan to shed money and tank... and they still didn't do it right (they finished 7-9). I'd like for this franchise to do a serious rebuild after they cut ties with Flacco, similar to the Raiders or Browns, by shedding tons of cap, tanking for high draft picks, amassing assets, and finding a starting QB via the draft.

Frankly, outside of a few young players like CJ Mosley, Ronnie Stanley, Alex Collins, Marlon Humphrey, and Justin Tucker, there are no untouchable players on this roster, so trading assets and slashing veteran salary would make sense for our near future. That's a result of poor drafting and cap management: we have few players worth re-signing, yet we're always strapped for cap space because the FO has allocated cap towards veterans and FA signings who don't pull their weight, creating dead cap space. Backloading every single contract also is hurting us. That seems to be an Ozzie philosophical decision, perhaps necessitated by a desire to compete every single year instead of shedding cap once in a while.

Also, the FO needs to address the backup QB position to at least try developing a future replacement for Flacco. They've seemed disinterested in doing this, however. That's why the notion of drafting Lamar Jackson excites me. Even though it's probably smoke, and even though Jackson doesn't appeal to me as a prospect, it would show me that the FO acknowledges Flacco is declining and is planning for the future.

Looks like a whole lot of excuses and crying.
Gold: 20,023.46
Apr 17 2018 05:04am
Quote (Terps @ Apr 16 2018 07:54pm)
I know this is a troll comment, but it's true.

The Ravens time is probably over, at least in terms of being a SB contender. Flacco got us a championship, but he seems to be declining at such a rate where keeping him under his current contract will become untenable. Whenever the FO and owner finally accept this, I hope they do an earnest rebuild. Our history would suggest that the philosophy of Bisciotti and Ozzie (who will no longer serve as GM) is to spend to the cap every season and try to compete every year despite the talent they have at QB. Only one year in our franchise history (2002) did the FO make a clear plan to shed money and tank... and they still didn't do it right (they finished 7-9). I'd like for this franchise to do a serious rebuild after they cut ties with Flacco, similar to the Raiders or Browns, by shedding tons of cap, tanking for high draft picks, amassing assets, and finding a starting QB via the draft.

Frankly, outside of a few young players like CJ Mosley, Ronnie Stanley, Alex Collins, Marlon Humphrey, and Justin Tucker, there are no untouchable players on this roster, so trading assets and slashing veteran salary would make sense for our near future. That's a result of poor drafting and cap management: we have few players worth re-signing, yet we're always strapped for cap space because the FO has allocated cap towards veterans and FA signings who don't pull their weight, creating dead cap space. Backloading every single contract also is hurting us. That seems to be an Ozzie philosophical decision, perhaps necessitated by a desire to compete every single year instead of shedding cap once in a while.

Also, the FO needs to address the backup QB position to at least try developing a future replacement for Flacco. They've seemed disinterested in doing this, however. That's why the notion of drafting Lamar Jackson excites me. Even though it's probably smoke, and even though Jackson doesn't appeal to me as a prospect, it would show me that the FO acknowledges Flacco is declining and is planning for the future.

CJ was sitting 3 seats down from me at barco on sunday. I see him out all the time.
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 80%
Apr 19 2018 09:22am
Over the last few months, lots of deals were discussed among NFL teams and agents with free agency taking place. One of the biggest aspects of the process is how much agents respect the teams and executives they are dealing with.

USA Today conducted a poll with about 25 agents and the results found the Patriots and Bill Belichick are at the top of the list of being most respected across the league.

The poll results had the Patriots being the third-most prepared team during contract negotiations with the 49ers and Eagles being Nos. 1 and 2. In addition, Belichick was the second-most respected decision-maker agents deal with. Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome was the most respected.

As far as the least prepared teams, those included the Bengals, Browns, Redskins, Bears, Jets and Raiders. The least respected decision-makers were Redskins president Bruce Allen, Dolphins VP of football operations Mike Tannenbaum, Broncos GM John Elway and Bengals owner Mike Brown.

😑
Gold: 79,366.46
Apr 26 2018 09:50pm
Welp, not going to dwell on missing DJ Moore by a pick. Just happy to see the dawn of a new era -the Lamar Jackson era.

Finally something to look forward to, rather than always looking back to what Flacco once was. Even if Jackson eventually busts, it's nice to be excited again.

/also they swapped 4ths and gave up next year's second to move up, so the trade seems like fair value

This post was edited by Terps on Apr 26 2018 09:55pm
Gold: 1,235.56
Apr 26 2018 11:31pm

Str8 Russel Westbrook Style. BEWARE 31 previous teams.
Apr 28 2018 01:45pm
I enjoyed the comment: "Looks like we won't be picking up Perriman's 4th year option"
Apr 29 2018 01:39am
1 Hayden Hurst TE South Carolina
1 Lamar Jackson QB Louisville
3 Orlando Brown Jr. OT
3 Mark Andrews TE Oklahoma
4 Anthony Averett CB Alabama
4 Kenny Young LB UCLA
4 Jaleel Scott WR New Mexico State
5 Jordan Lasley WR UCLA
6 DeShon Elliott S Texas
6 Greg Senat OT Wagner
6 Bradley Bozeman C Alabama
7 Zach Sieler DE Ferris State

Overall, pretty happy with how the draft went. Seemed like Oz really worked the trades like a pro. The loss of next year's 2nd round pick is mitigated by the picks we gained from trading back (especially the first pick in the 3rd round from the Bills).

• Hayden Hurst seems like a complete, reliable TE with a low chance to bust; the only knock seems to be his age.

• Orlando Brown sounds like he needs work /w his technique and conditioning. Hope he reaches his potential because I'd love to cheer for the son of Zeus.

• Mark Andrews sounds like a WR playing TE.

• Anthony Averett sounds like an athletic corner who is just a bit lightweight. I've never really cared a whole lot for height issues unless they're really short, and he's just barely under 6'.

• Kenny Young sounds like his instincts were off last season, as if maybe it was a down year. Otherwise, he sounds like an ideal Will, which we need because Peanut and Correa were pretty underwhelming.

• Jaleel Scott sounds like he has reliable hands and good size for a WR, but went the JUCO route and has little experience.

• Jordan Lasley sounds like a quick receiver with bad drop problems.

• DeShon Elliott has over-hyped stats. His film looks more like the ball found him in the box, rather than him making plays. Plays SS. Doesn't seem like a special prospect.

• Senat played basketball for two years before switching to FB. He's all H/W/S upside, little experience.

• Bozeman is a safe prospect.

• Sieler reminds me of Judon. DII prospect, dominated the competition, great H/W/S. Hope he can develop, since our depth at 5T is still weak (Urban is coming off an injury that takes 2 years to rehab; Wormley did nothing last year and was usually inactive; Kaufusi seemed like a liability every time I watched him)

--

Going forward, the main questions are: what will our OL will look like (who plays C, LG, RT?), who will play Will LB (Bowser, Onwuasor, Correa, Kenny Young, Bam Bradley?), and who will play 5T DE (Urban, Wormley, Kaufusi, Sieler?)
Jun 28 2018 09:29pm
expiration bump
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Jun 28 2018 10:29pm
Quote (Terps @ Jun 28 2018 11:29pm)
expiration bump

Orioles are gonna need this in a few weeks/months
Banned
Gold: 3.69
Jun 28 2018 10:36pm
Quote (Terps @ Jun 28 2018 11:29pm)
expiration bump

Newson had a sick draft for his final draft.

I don’t see ravens making the playoffs with those RBs.

This post was edited by DeShaunWatson69 on Jun 28 2018 10:40pm
Go Back To Football & Rugby Topic List
Prev1126312641265126612671388Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll