d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > Ladder Slasher >
Poll > Ls Community Guide - Magician > The Judgement
Prev123
Closed New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 1,400.00
Sep 6 2009 05:00pm
Quote (Cloudfire @ Sun, Sep 6 2009, 06:57pm)
But I could still kill wells and climb without mana regen gear. It makes it faster but isn't in any way nesesary.

Intelligence items are not necessary either. It just makes it faster.
Every solo warlock / magician and likely alchemist have a stash of mana regeneration items. Now, a lot of more 'rich people' do choose to buy shrines off the market place or store shrines on several mules and their vault. However, this is a concept you grow in to and is definitely not recommend or advised for new players (particularly buying shrine items)

edit; a lot of people seem to lose the sight this is about being fundamentally sound.

This post was edited by przy on Sep 6 2009 05:02pm
Gold: 0.70
Sep 6 2009 05:11pm
Quote (przy @ Mon, Sep 7 2009, 11:00am)
Intelligence items are not necessary either. It just makes it faster.
Every solo warlock / magician and likely alchemist have a stash of mana regeneration items. Now, a lot of more 'rich people' do choose to buy shrines off the market place or store shrines on several mules and their vault. However, this is a concept you grow in to and is definitely not recommend or advised for new players (particularly buying shrine items)

edit; a lot of people seem to lose the sight this is about being fundamentally sound.

I'm just saying that the way you worded it is like "if you dont have mana regen, you won't be able to kill anything", which isn't true.

You almost put more emphasis on needing mana regen than needing int.
Sep 6 2009 05:19pm
Quote (Cloudfire @ Sun, Sep 6 2009, 07:11pm)
I'm just saying that the way you worded it is like "if you dont have mana regen, you won't be able to kill anything", which isn't true.

You almost put more emphasis on needing mana regen than needing int.

I feel you're being a bit hypercritical. In fact, anyone with common senses can figure out what the purpose of mana regeneration is. Even if they have no clue how it functions, as soon as they see how it works, it would be very well understood. Using intelligence is strictly keyed in the primary captions. Mana regeneration is exactly what it is, a key point. It is a FYI, and it is essential to comfort and playability, there is no question about it.
Gold: 30.00
Sep 6 2009 07:38pm
I belive this guide is a great magician base and I don't rly see why every1 is whyning about tiny details.

Gold: 372.80
Sep 7 2009 09:53am
Quote (Svartermetalisk @ Sun, Sep 6 2009, 08:38pm)
I belive this guide is a great magician base and I don't rly see why every1 is whyning about tiny details.

Because that's clearly the best way to put the best guide forward for the community, duh.

Here goes, attempting to not change content ;)

Quote (przy @ Sat, Sep 5 2009, 01:07pm)
The Magician:

The Magician uses Staves and Daggers as weapons, only Robes and Padded Robes as armor, and all charm types.

Starting Attributes:
Strength: 20
Dexterity: 50
Intelligence: 60
Vitality: 20

The Offensive Caster Magician:

The Offensive Caster Magician uses charms to attack.  It is highly recommended to add your first 10 stats in to Vitality, but you might want to try 5 to Vitality and 5 to Intelligence or all 10 stats in to Intelligence.  Regardless of what starting build you try, all further stats should go into Intelligence.

Even though this character is primarily a caster, many people prefer to melee for the first 10-20 levels using Enhanced Effect Daggers and/or Staves and items that add to stats like Maximum Life, Life Per Kill, Strength, Dexterity, or Life Per Attack for their armor and charm, because it is generally easier to reach a higher level of efficiency that way.  Many “true casters,” however, would cast from level -10 if they had to.  They use items that add to Maximum Mana, Mana Per Kill, and Intelligence on their weapons and armors, and Enhanced Effect on their charms.

Nearly every Magician, however, is casting by level 20, and the desirable items all have one thing in common: Intelligence.  Heal Mastery, Mana Syphon, Mana Per Attack, Mana Per Kill, Experience Gain, Magic luck, and Dexterity are all great sidemods. The most effective way to use an Offensive Caster Magician is with an Enhanced Effect charm in the primary slot and an Enhanced Effect healing charm in the accessory slot. The charm types are preferential.

The Defensive Caster Magician:

The Defensive Caster Magician is a real crowd favorite because it is one of the best healers in the game. The primary function of a Defensive Caster Magician is to be the lifeline for other players in the Catacombs.  The basic difference between this style of play and the Offensive Caster is the substitution of items that add to Heal Mastery rather than Intelligence.  Many players still melee for the first 10-20 levels.  Note, however, that the popular “Explore the Maze” objective is available at level 5, so you may want to plan on leveling in the Catacombs from there on out.  Additional modifiers which are helpful include Intelligence, Mana Syphon, Maximum Mana, Mana Per Attack, Mana Per Kill, Experience Gain, Magic luck, and Dexterity. Also, the charm in the primary slot should have heal mastery as well, and the Enhanced Effect healing charm goes in the accessory slot. The charm types are preferential.

Key Points:

Many people melee, using Enhance Effect weapons, for levels 1-20.  Daggers are slightly preferable because Samurai, Monk and Ninja can use them in the future, but Staves, though less versatile, are an essential part of the dynamic Sword and Staff setup.
The Offensive Caster Magician is best suited for the Arena.
Offensive casting in the catacombs is disfavored because you eventually run out of Mana and become nearly useless.
Mana Regeneration items make Offensive Casting go a lot faster.  Less regen time means more playing time!
The Defensive Caster Magician is best suited for the Catacombs.
Magicians must go to the BACK of the group because they have low defense and health!
Magicians can only use a few types of items.  Caster Staves are preferred because Warlock – a coveted caster class – can not equip any other weapon.  For this reason, Caster Daggers, though quite versatile, are significantly less expensive.

*This guide was created through the input of fellow Ladder Slasher players and are not to be taken as absolutes. These are merely a stepping stone in your path to perfecting your own build or building upon the ones in this guide.

**This guide is based around ideals for softcore ladder slasher.

edit: More readable version without the strikeouts -

doh, I just deleted them :( Iso an undo button! Oh well.

This post was edited by Behemoth on Sep 7 2009 10:18am
Sep 7 2009 10:19am
Quote (Behemoth @ Mon, Sep 7 2009, 11:53am)
Because that's clearly the best way to put the best guide forward for the community, duh.

Here goes, attempting to not change content ;)

edit: More readable version without the strikeouts -

doh, I just deleted them :(  Iso an undo button!  Oh well.

Thank you for a very constructive feedback!
I think we could definitely mix it up a little and change some things around. It's definitely not out of the realm of possibilities :)
Gold: 372.80
Sep 7 2009 10:31am
Quote (przy @ Mon, Sep 7 2009, 11:19am)
Thank you for a very constructive feedback!
I think we could definitely mix it up a little and change some things around. It's definitely not out of the realm of possibilities :)

hehe np. mostly syntax/diction, but yeah, kinda important ;)

one last thing -

*This guide was created through the input of fellow Ladder Slasher players and are not to be taken as absolutes. These are merely a stepping stone in your path to perfecting your own build or building upon the ones in this guide.

**This guide is based around ideals for softcore ladder slasher.

My version:

*This guide was created through the input of fellow Ladder Slasher players and is not to be taken as an absolute. This advice is merely a stepping stone in your path to perfecting your own build or building upon the ones in this guide.

**This guide is geared towards softcore Ladder Slasher.  The general rule for hardcore is: get to 50 vitality as soon as possible!  After that, the same advice is generally applicable.

This post was edited by Behemoth on Sep 7 2009 10:34am
Sep 10 2009 04:48pm
bump it up

had to let the forum settle down some since reset :lol:
Gold: 1,534.72
Sep 10 2009 09:55pm
Quote (przy @ Sun, 6 Sep 2009, 23:51)
What's this you say???  (Items found on your weller)

Rare sapphire dagger
Level Req: 30
Damage: 41 to 72

+48 Max Life
+10 Mana Regen

Rare seamist robe
Level Req: 30
Defense: 0 to 10

+9 Mana Regen
+2% Magical Damage Reduction

Rare earth VI
Level Req: 15
Spell Damage: 70 to 123
Mana Cost: 55

+7 Mana Regen
+2 Critical Strike

Mana Regeneration items are absolutely essential for an Arena magican.
It is 100% physically impossible to survive off of shrining alone without buying shrines, someone feeding shrines or harvesting shrines with a different low level character.
I have probably done the most Mage climbs in the history of any 1 season in this season (115 magician mqs), I am quite sure I know a lot about it.

self owned is well owned!!!
Gold: 206,700.00
Sep 11 2009 12:14am
Quote (dugis8up @ Sat, Sep 5 2009, 11:08pm)
Mana Regeneration items are essential for Offensive Casting.

What about  shrining?  I keep at least 4 mules just to hold shrines that I farm, it may just be me, but climbs seem faster going the shrine route instead of mana regen gear.

Vouch this, regen is useless :D
Go Back To Ladder Slasher Topic List
Prev123
Closed New Topic New Poll