d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > Ladder Slasher >
Poll > Ls Community Guide - Magician > The Judgement
123Next
Closed New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
przy
Group: Member
Gold: 1,400.00
Sep 5 2009 12:07pm
This was another very difficult guide to write. I will ask for any input and discussions to modify it before It gets its final placement. I decided to leave out "weller builds" because it is something you will learn as you progress. I am trying to achieve the same goal as all of the other guides, clear, concise. Please provide any valuable input/feedback so we can make this right!

The Magician:

The Magician uses Staffs and Daggers, along with Robes and all charm types.

Starting Attributes:

Strength: 20
Dexterity: 50
Intelligence: 60
Vitality: 20

The Offensive Caster Magician:

The Offensive Caster Magician utilizes charms to attack. There are several variations on how to start. For new players, it is highly recommended to add your first 10 stats in to Vitality, other options may be 5 to Vitality and 5 to Intelligence or all 10 stats in to Intelligence. For the lower levels, there are several approaches to starting. If casting, you should try to find items with Maximum Mana, Mana Per Kill, and Mana Per Attack. These items are generally effective until level 15 or 20. Another alternative is to Melee until level 15 or 20 until your mana pool is sufficient enough to cast entirely. The Magician items are very basic. You should try to find items with Intelligence as the primary modifier. Other helpful modifiers may include Heal Mastery, Mana Syphon, Mana Per Attack, Mana Per Kill, Experience Gain, Magic luck, and Dexterity. The most effective way to use an Offensive Caster Magician is by using an Enhanced Effect charm in the primary slot and an Enhanced Effect healing charm in the accessory slot. The charm types are preferential.

The Defensive Caster Magician:

The Defensive Caster Magician is one of the most desirable classes because it focuses around healing. The primary function of a Defensive Caster Magician is to be the lifeline for other players in the Catacombs. There are several variations on how to start. For new players, it is highly recommended to add your first 10 stats in to Vitality, other options may be 5 to Vitality and 5 to Intelligence or all 10 stats in to Intelligence. When starting you will still need to begin your level up. If casting, you should try to find items with Maximum Mana, Mana Per Kill, and Mana Per Attack. These items are generally effective until level 15 or 20. Another alternative is to Melee until level 15 or 20 until your mana pool is sufficient enough to cast entirely. Once at a satisfactory level you need to switch your items to the healing gear. The gear is primarily focused around Heal Mastery. Additional modifiers which may be helpful include Intelligence, Mana Syphon, Mana Per Attack, Mana Per Kill, Experience Gain, Magic luck, and Dexterity. Additionally, the healing charm in the primary slot can have heal mastery as well, while using an Enhanced Effect charm in the accessory slot. The charm types are preferential.

Key Points:

Most people use Enhance Effect weapons for levels 1-20 while playing any form of melee. Daggers are recommended for this because Samurai, Monk and Ninja can use them in the future.
The Offensive Caster Magician is best suited for the Arena.
Currently, offensive casting in the catacombs is frowned upon.
Mana Regeneration items are essential for Offensive Casting.
The Defensive Caster Magician is best suited for the Catacombs.
Magicians must go to the BACK of the group because they have low defense and health!
Casting Magicians have limited item usage. Staffs are preferred because Warlock can use them. However, Daggers are much less expensive.

*This guide was created through the input of fellow Ladder Slasher players and are not to be taken as absolutes. These are merely a stepping stone in your path to perfecting your own build or building upon the ones in this guide.

**This guide is based around ideals for softcore ladder slasher.
DyingTickles
Gold: 877.50
Sep 5 2009 05:30pm
Especially for newer players, shouldn't their vit be higher than 30?
Other than that this is very good.
Stok3d
Gold: 33,836.87
Sep 5 2009 08:09pm
The Magician uses Staffs and Daggers, along with Robes and all charm types.

should read:

The Magician uses Staves and Daggers, along with Robes and all charm types.

:) nice guide & looks accurate to me. You may want to include a descriiption of each type of heal & caster charm at the end. I would suggest including cost as a consideration to it as well. This will be the obvious question ppl will have after reading--which charms do i choose.
FyreStorm
Gold: 12,546.10
Sep 5 2009 08:12pm
Quote (DyingTickles @ Sat, Sep 5 2009, 07:30pm)
Especially for newer players, shouldn't their vit be higher than 30?
Other than that this is very good.

I think that newer players statting vit are wasting points. They'll just complain about how low their chains are later on, I say all int all the time... unless you play hc of course.

Also, don't lie to those poor kids with no fg. Making a fighter with tier 3s and rerolling for shrines is probably faster than regenning, especially at higher levels.

E/ Very good on the whole, though. Will prevent a lot of questions. Hopefully will inspire some newb healers.

This post was edited by FyreStorm on Sep 5 2009 08:14pm
Meeker
Gold: 9,417.13
Sep 5 2009 09:17pm
Quote (przy @ Sat, Sep 5 2009, 10:07am)
For the lower levels, there are several approaches to starting.  If casting, you should try to find items with Maximum Mana, Mana Per Kill, and Mana Per Attack.

Mpa? Mpa is garbage for magician. Its only use if for a hybrid melee character. Its a nice bonus at best.
Dougis8up
Gold: 1,390.71
Sep 6 2009 12:08am

What about shrining? I keep at least 4 mules just to hold shrines that I farm, it may just be me, but climbs seem faster going the shrine route instead of mana regen gear.

FDSupRa
Gold: 25,150.00
Sep 6 2009 04:24am
As this is a guide for all I voted not because if some1 will use 20-30 vita on HC is just a suicide for me
przy
Gold: 1,400.00
Sep 6 2009 08:36am
Quote (FDSupRa @ Sun, Sep 6 2009, 06:24am)
As this is a guide for all I voted not because if some1 will use 20-30 vita on HC is just a suicide for me

Please read the very last line of the first post.

Quote (dugis8up @ Sun, Sep 6 2009, 02:08am)

What about  shrining?  I keep at least 4 mules just to hold shrines that I farm, it may just be me, but climbs seem faster going the shrine route instead of mana regen gear.

Shrines are not always available. Mana Regeneration is 100% necessary unless you're buying shrines, being fed shrines or play something else to acquire shrines. There is no way anyone will ever argue differently that you will shrine everything to mq unless those conditions are met.

Quote (Meeker @ Sat, Sep 5 2009, 11:17pm)
Mpa?  Mpa is garbage for magician.  Its only use if for a hybrid melee character.  Its a nice bonus at best.

You have proven my point sir "It's a nice bonus"
Edit; Additionally, if you use a 6mpa tier 3 item x2 with any kind of additional modifiers, you can gain 12 mana per attack on a 25 mana usage charm which does grant a few more casts - making shrine finding more feasible to achieve your regeneration.

This post was edited by przy on Sep 6 2009 08:44am
Inaya
Gold: 4,364.59
Sep 6 2009 08:51am
perhaps include information on a weller?

in your key points you write this:
'Daggers are recommended for this because Samurai, Monk and Ninja can use them in the future.' in the first point

and this:
'Staffs are preferred because Warlock can use them.' in the last point.

contradictory? confusing? which weapon is preferred/recommended as there are only 2 weapons available to the mage? you really cant recommend both. I mean you can but its not really helpful.

you also state daggers a much less expensive. are they really less expensive? I always thought staves were cheaper. sorry if im wrong.
Jewhannes
Gold: 259.62
Sep 6 2009 08:54am
1st page again ^_^

This post was edited by Goss3N on Sep 6 2009 08:54am
Go Back To Ladder Slasher Topic List
123Next
Closed New Topic New Poll