d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows > Name The Last Movie You Watched>
Prev1200420052006200720082184Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2.66
Jul 1 2020 08:11pm
Vivarium

Mind fuck of a movie.
Gold: 2,900.49
Jul 2 2020 01:28pm
Finally got around to seeing The Thing (1982) last night. I've seen it mentioned so much as one of the best movies ever and finally got in the mood to give it a proper viewing.

First and foremost -- the effects. Holy. Shit. This movie probably had some of the most grotesque practical effects I've seen in a movie and they seemed generally terrifying, repulsive and unique. I think one aspect that really adds to this movie's effects is that the "thing" doesn't have a definitive form. Other movies that have tremendous imagery as far as monsters, villains, etc., like Alien, Predator, beasts and such in Star Wars, etc. all have a definitive form. This one doesn't. The thing adopts whatever it is able and makes it valuable as a way to express abstract concepts, like paranoia, which seems to be the point of the movie. It's the classic setting of a few characters in a remote location, substitute the barren wasteland of Antarctica here space in something like Alien. Works absolutely perfectly as a setting, it really narrows the viewer's focus and enhances the action sequences.

Russell was badass in this one, for sure. Huge fan of his beard and hair, they should have received an acting credit.

One issue I'm uncertain how to evaluate was the extremely blatant placement of J & B scotch in multiple scenes, basically bookending the movie. Maybe they had a bidding war with different spirit companies to see who gets featured? Does that have any specific relevance as a product to the actual plot of could that have been an empty bottle with a "XXX" label achieving the same effect?

Very good.
Jul 3 2020 07:10pm
The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

Been a while since I watched this one beginning to end. Honestly, I enjoy it more every time. I know what's going to happen but the violent scenes still have such tremendous weight. The dialogue they wrote for Lecter's character was so precise and brilliant. I don't know of much of a flaw in this one.

This post was edited by Kamahl16 on Jul 3 2020 07:10pm
Gold: 6.69
Jul 4 2020 01:11pm
Volcano
Jul 4 2020 03:11pm
Watched two more:

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Rob Ford (2007)

Heard a lot of people claiming this to be one of the best Westerns ever made, so I watched it. It was far more of a drama than a Western in the sense I expected it to be, i.e. pinpoint shooting scenes and bullshit like that. Given that I will have to come back to this one to try and appreciate the dynamic that Pitt's character establishes with all the supporting characters. The cinematography was pretty awesome. Apparently they were very influenced by Days of Heaven, which I was thinking when I watched it having just seen Days. I'll probably watch it on a better screen next time, the dark scenes didn't view too well on my monitor and apparently those are the ones they were most proud of.

and this morning I watched:

The Great Dictator (1940)

What hasn't been said about this one already?

My experience is that this was the first "talkie" I saw that Chaplin made. I expected to be off put by it and was, initially. His dialogue was amazing and he threw in a lot of extremely well choreographed sequences reminiscent of his early work. Have to remember this was 1940, so this must have been hugely important at the time. According to Wiki he stated in his 1964 autobiography that he wouldn't/couldn't (can't remember which) make it had he known the extent of the Nazi regime's cruelty. I was thinking that watching it. I kept thinking, "there's no way he knew about how bad concentration camps were making this?" That fact aside I feel the film still would have been appropriate, given the hugely applicable and affirming speech he ends it on.

Goddard is also hot as fuck.
Jul 6 2020 03:50pm
The Boxer (1997)

Watched it on a recommendation from an old work friend and because Daniel Day-Lewis is in it. Standard movie, a little long for what it was, probably won't come back to it though.
Gold: 174,000.00
Jul 7 2020 03:24pm
Remedium 2014
Gold: 63,142.89
Jul 7 2020 07:55pm
I recently watched Jerry Maguire. I thought it had some problems but overall an above average movie. It helped me realize that a lot has changed since the 90s.

Also watched The Lincoln Lawyer. I found it to be below average and very typical. Not worth bothering to watch.
Gold: 0.00
Jul 8 2020 09:21am
Memento

Always a favorite
Jul 8 2020 03:18pm
Watched two movies I've never seen,

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (1989)

I think this falls into the category of nostalgia movie that I am just too old to really love at this point in my life. I didn't find it particularly funny, I thought the two characters were so fucking annoying and George Carlin wasn't even used well here. Reminds me of the Goonies, maybe 14 year old me would have loved this.

The Patriot (2000)

I have never seen a movie with Mel Gibson I didn't like and the trend continues. It isn't likely this one is super accurate, historically; but who gives a fuck? It had some cool battle sequences and pretty settings overall. Might have been a tad long and made some of their characters super one dimensional. Slightly above average action movie not to be confused with a historical documentary. I do enjoy the fact that they showed how reluctance played a role in the Revolution, and it wasn't some cause that literally everybody in the Colonies was all about. Showed the impact of a domestic conflict to innocent people a little bit.
Go Back To Movies & TV Shows Topic List
Prev1200420052006200720082184Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll