d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Ecclesiastes Series - What's The Point Of Life?
Prev1234
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4,575.01
Warn: 10%
Jun 8 2023 02:58pm
Quote (NetflixAdaptationWidow @ Jun 7 2023 09:39pm)
You've only moved the problem one step up.

Ultimately all goals eventually end in "because I want it". That's what defines a terminal goal vs an instrumental goal.

I want to cure cancer because I want to maximize human happiness.

I want to maximize human happiness because..... I want to. Why don't I want to maximize suffering? Because I just don't. Maybe it's because my brain evolved to be pro-social, but ultimately that just explains the origin of the desire. It's still an arbitrary desire. Might as well say "because my brain impulsed in a way that made me want it".

The question though is: why?

Why do you want it? Why does your brain impulse in a certain way?

It's not random - because if it was, you would constantly shift between wanting to maximize human happiness and maximizing suffering randomly such that the aggregate would be zero - feeling nothing at all.

Why did your brain evolve to be pro-social? Why, statistically, do most people's brains evolve to be pro-social? Why not equally random? Why is it an arbitrary desire, when all statistics and observation point to it not being arbitrary?

The answer to why you want to maximize human happiness and minimize suffering is the divine spark of life that is intrinsic within your soul.

Now you may not accept that answer, which is okay, but you should still seek to answer the question of "why?" instead of settling with the null conclusion of "it just is"
Gold: 260.11
Jun 8 2023 03:48pm
Quote (TiStuff @ Jun 8 2023 03:22pm)
typically for communication we (as a people) agree to abide by already accepted definitions (not made up chit). one would think an atheist would be all about that. funny though they not.

You didn't answer the question. What word would you use?
Jun 8 2023 03:49pm
Quote (El1te @ Jun 8 2023 03:58pm)
The question though is: why?

Why do you want it? Why does your brain impulse in a certain way?

It's not random - because if it was, you would constantly shift between wanting to maximize human happiness and maximizing suffering randomly such that the aggregate would be zero - feeling nothing at all.

Why did your brain evolve to be pro-social? Why, statistically, do most people's brains evolve to be pro-social? Why not equally random? Why is it an arbitrary desire, when all statistics and observation point to it not being arbitrary?

The answer to why you want to maximize human happiness and minimize suffering is the divine spark of life that is intrinsic within your soul.

Now you may not accept that answer, which is okay, but you should still seek to answer the question of "why?" instead of settling with the null conclusion of "it just is"

It's actually just because we survive better in groups than alone.

But sure, just posit magic on the same day you tried to invoke occams razor
Gold: 2,955.95
Jun 8 2023 08:36pm
Quote (NetflixAdaptationWidow @ Jun 8 2023 02:48pm)
You didn't answer the question. What word would you use?

use proper definitions if you want to communicate effectively. watch the 3rd gen atheist vid i posted he talks a little bit about his dad explaining how atheists think. if you really want to try to be a proper atheist. my experience its a creature that doesnt exist. they just end up being antitheists.
Jun 8 2023 11:01pm
Quote (TiStuff @ Jun 8 2023 09:36pm)
use proper definitions if you want to communicate effectively

Which is why I'm asking you what word you would use to mean something, so I can just use that word since you get all triggered by any use of the word subjective.
Gold: 2,955.95
Jun 9 2023 03:36am
Quote (NetflixAdaptationWidow @ Jun 8 2023 10:01pm)
Which is why I'm asking you what word you would use to mean something, so I can just use that word since you get all triggered by any use of the word subjective.

lol stop making chit up
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1234
Add Reply New Topic New Poll