d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > First Day Back In The Gym After 1.5 Years
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 910,000.00
Apr 23 2023 08:10pm
been training for about 11 years but due to covid shutting down gyms for a while and with finishing up medical school, i lost the ability to go to gym and ultimately lost the motivation to go back for a long time

today was the first day back and it was honestly very depressing seeing where I am and knowing where I was

trying to get the habit to stick again like it use to but after today, it seems like its gonna be a long journey to regain it back. At a crossroads between saying oh well fuck it and trying to grind it back

would appreciate hearing hearing some of the factors that keep you guys going and staying healthy, maybe it will spark something back in me to keep trying cuz rn its looking all bad lmfao :rofl:

Gold: 0.00
Trader: Trusted
Apr 24 2023 04:53am
Couldn’t gym because of covid
Lost 17 kilograms of muscle / size and became skinny fat
Got sad

Gyms opened up. Regained it + more with muscle memory.

Even if I’m having a shitty workout I still try to appreciate the fact I can walk into a gym.

Enjoy every part of it. You’ll be better than ever in no time
Gold: 720.00
Apr 27 2023 12:51am
Quote (DrNazty @ Apr 23 2023 10:10pm)
been training for about 11 years but due to covid shutting down gyms for a while and with finishing up medical school, i lost the ability to go to gym and ultimately lost the motivation to go back for a long time

today was the first day back and it was honestly very depressing seeing where I am and knowing where I was

trying to get the habit to stick again like it use to but after today, it seems like its gonna be a long journey to regain it back. At a crossroads between saying oh well fuck it and trying to grind it back

would appreciate hearing hearing some of the factors that keep you guys going and staying healthy, maybe it will spark something back in me to keep trying cuz rn its looking all bad lmfao :rofl:

Hey brother.

Yeah, covid really did ruin quite the bit. I hate how they closed all gyms due to it, and I've been working on incrementally building a better home gym, JUUUUST in case some stupidness like that ever happens again.

Anyways, after covid, like most people I had to slowly lawyer myself into getting back into shape. I just looked at it from the perspective of starting at the bottom. Which is a great place to be, cause there's only going up from there. Incremental improvements.

Try to avoid comparing your present self to your past self. Within time, you'll be back to where you are. I know its hard to stop that comparison, because I catch myself doing it all the time as well, and then I gota remind myself that lifting is a way of life.

Paired with this outlook, what's also helped me get back into lifting after covid, was listening to podcasts while lifting/running. Specially I'd say David Goggins, and Jocko Willinck. Also, a guy named Wes Watson, who was an ex con that decided to reform his life and create something out of it (He also makes fitness content).

What seems to work for me, is listening to a combination of those podcasts (masculine outlook) while lifting, as well as watching a few of the videos non lifers would consider as "douchey-er" . The ones that revolve more so around the sculpting of the body into an image of perfection (vanity), while enduring "hard-core" workouts.

Specifically, Tom Platz and Arnold Schwarzenegger.

I downloaded/ripped a youtube video of Tom Platz working out, and I listen to it when its leg day. Things like this, has helped me.

Hope this helps man :)
May 1 2023 11:11pm
Quote (bjones9 @ Apr 24 2023 03:53am)
Couldn’t gym because of covid
Lost 17 kilograms of muscle / size and became skinny fat
Got sad

Gyms opened up. Regained it + more with muscle memory.

Even if I’m having a shitty workout I still try to appreciate the fact I can walk into a gym.

Enjoy every part of it. You’ll be better than ever in no time

Quote (Foxist @ Apr 26 2023 11:51pm)
Hey brother.

Yeah, covid really did ruin quite the bit. I hate how they closed all gyms due to it, and I've been working on incrementally building a better home gym, JUUUUST in case some stupidness like that ever happens again.

Anyways, after covid, like most people I had to slowly lawyer myself into getting back into shape. I just looked at it from the perspective of starting at the bottom. Which is a great place to be, cause there's only going up from there. Incremental improvements.

Try to avoid comparing your present self to your past self. Within time, you'll be back to where you are. I know its hard to stop that comparison, because I catch myself doing it all the time as well, and then I gota remind myself that lifting is a way of life.

Paired with this outlook, what's also helped me get back into lifting after covid, was listening to podcasts while lifting/running. Specially I'd say David Goggins, and Jocko Willinck. Also, a guy named Wes Watson, who was an ex con that decided to reform his life and create something out of it (He also makes fitness content).

What seems to work for me, is listening to a combination of those podcasts (masculine outlook) while lifting, as well as watching a few of the videos non lifers would consider as "douchey-er" . The ones that revolve more so around the sculpting of the body into an image of perfection (vanity), while enduring "hard-core" workouts.

Specifically, Tom Platz and Arnold Schwarzenegger.

I downloaded/ripped a youtube video of Tom Platz working out, and I listen to it when its leg day. Things like this, has helped me.

Hope this helps man :)

appreciate you both for taking the time to write out your personal experiences and how you bounced back.

im going to try to do a weekly update here and see if i can track my progress on a few lifts and see if it help keep the habit going

Most ive weighed: 175 lbs

OLD PR's:

Back squat: 275 lbs
Front squat: 225 lbs
Barbell flat bench: 315 lbs
Dumbell flat bench: 105 lb dumbells
Dead lift: 405 lbs

After 1 week current PR's:

Current weight: 165 lbs

Back squat: 185 lbs
Front squat: 135 lbs
Barbell flat bench: 185 lbs
dumbell flat bench: 60 lb dumbels
Dead lift: 275 lbs

leaving out the amount of reps for now because they were all < 3-4, hoping to get my reps above 6-8 before beginning to track them.

This post was edited by DrNazty on May 1 2023 11:13pm
Gold: 26,932.12
May 10 2023 09:34am
Your a med student, but need D2jsp to give you reasons to weight train?
May 11 2023 12:24am
Late update but started taking some supplements:
1) GAT PMP (Peak muscle performance) preworkout
2) GAT omega fish oils
3) Optimum nutrition Optimen multivitamin

Current weight: 170 lbs, on the all you can eat diet. Farting and shitting 24/7 :rofl:

week 2 1/2 PR's

Back squat: 245 lbs x 2
Front squat: 185 lbs x 4
Barbell flat bench: 205 lbs x 4
Dumbell flat bench: 65 lb x 4
Dumbell incline bench: 65 lb x 4
Dead lift: 295 lbs x 4

Will continue to add more relevant lifts as soon as I can start pushing real weight again :wallbash:
May considering posting a pic of where I started and a 1 month out comparison so everyone can laugh and say im still weak and fat af :drool:

This post was edited by DrNazty on May 11 2023 12:29am
Gold: 2.00
May 13 2023 09:46pm
Quote (DrNazty @ 23 Apr 2023 22:10)

We all suffer from the shut down but got our gains back take it easy find a good pre workout that will help you push for maximum gains.
Gold: 6.66
May 15 2023 07:55pm
Quote (ZeaLORDeaL @ May 10 2023 06:34pm)
Your a med student, but need D2jsp to give you reasons to weight train?

From a medical point of view, you dont need to do weight training to stay healthy if youre like under 55-60. Calisthenics, cardio and other low intensity exercise is enough.
May 16 2023 06:01pm
Current weight: 168 lbs

Forgot to mention this but started last week, so now 2 weeks into it, running 2 miles every other day

week 3 PR's

Back squat: 245 lbs x 4
Front squat: 185 lbs x 6
Barbell flat bench: 225 lbs x 1
Dumbell flat bench: 85 lb x 2
Dumbell incline bench: 65 lb x 4
Dead lift: 335 lbs x 2

This post was edited by DrNazty on May 16 2023 06:02pm
May 26 2023 02:25pm
Late update but here is week 4's update

been slacking over last 10 days probably only lifted 3 days & ran ~6miles, busy studying for a board exam, moved back to NY, was using my vacation time and now that ill be back in the hospital/clinic, prob gonna have time to get it in 2-3 times a week now :cry:

This is probably where ill be stuck for a while again because I don't think I will be able to go 5+ days a week anymore. A month has definitely gotten my confidence back up and I am pretty happy with where I am now. Will continue giving bi-weekly updates from now on to track if im staying the same, going up or getting worse lmao.

Current weight: 169 lbs

Week 4 PR's:

Notable leg lifts:
Back squat: 245 lbs x 5
Front squat: 185 lbs x 8
Single leg press: 90 lbs x 8
Leg extension: 80 lbs x 10
Barbell weighted lunges: 135 lbs x 10

Notable chest lifts:
Barbell flat bench: 225 lbs x 2
Dumbell flat bench: 85 lb x 4
Dumbell incline bench: 65 lb x 6

Notable back lifts:
Dead lift: 335 lbs x 3
Barbell bent over row: 185 lbs x 3 (this shit is hard af)
Dumbell bent over row: 70 lbs x 10
Cable rope straight arm pull down: 15 lbs x 12
Underhand bent over cable row: 60 lbs x 8 (this one is weird to keep track of as each gym / machine has different set of pulleys so it feels too heavy sometimes and light other times)

Notable bicep lifts:
Dumbell hammer curl seated & standing: 30 lbs x 10
Dumbell curl seated & standing: 30 lbs x 10

This post was edited by DrNazty on May 26 2023 02:33pm
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll