d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Martial Arts, Boxing & Wrestling > My First Bjj Competition As White Belt
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 830.00
May 1 2023 11:23am
Quote (DragonOfTheWest @ Apr 23 2023 02:27am)
Glhf and go for the ankle pick.

I went to the tournament. We were only 3 people in my weightclass as white belts (ultra heavy +100,5 kg and +30 years (im 31))

I did go for the ankle/knee pick in both fights. I could not get it to work on the first guy, he was too strong and had good standing defense, but he ended up trying to pull me to guard which failed, so i got his back and won on a rear naked choke.

Second fight i got my ankle/knee pick after like 10 seconds, landed on top in side control, jumped to mount and got a kimura and won. So all in all, my first competition was a great success :D

This post was edited by JesterIsBack on May 1 2023 11:24am
Gold: 855.69
May 1 2023 06:30pm
Quote (JesterIsBack @ May 1 2023 10:23am)
I went to the tournament. We were only 3 people in my weightclass as white belts (ultra heavy +100,5 kg and +30 years (im 31))

I did go for the ankle/knee pick in both fights. I could not get it to work on the first guy, he was too strong and had good standing defense, but he ended up trying to pull me to guard which failed, so i got his back and won on a rear naked choke.

Second fight i got my ankle/knee pick after like 10 seconds, landed on top in side control, jumped to mount and got a kimura and won. So all in all, my first competition was a great success :D

Hell yeah good job bro, glad you had fun :thumbsup:
May 11 2023 02:00am
Quote (DragonOfTheWest @ May 2 2023 02:30am)
Hell yeah good job bro, glad you had fun :thumbsup:

Thanks bro! Was an awesome experience :D
Gold: 100.00
May 27 2023 12:48am
" i spend much of my power in stupid situations "

Pretty common for strong large people, they do well in white belt but by the time they get to purple they realize they missed out on fundamedal movement and understanding. because their natural strenght gave them success early, they didn't have a need to learn the basics properly.

" but it's hard to master myself when people wants to roll hard "

If your ego is in the way, growth is slower. Roll technical, try not to rely on strenght and size, tap if you get caught, this is where you will learn to move, rather than go caveman.

" Does anyone have any advice for a newb? "

Enjoy the grind, seek discomfort. Spar with 25% people much better, 25% your peers and 50% with people you can have (and experiment on techniques here)

" i only really feel comfortable with straight ankle foot lock, kimura, americana and rear naked choke "

Those are plenty of tools, rather than knowing many techniques, get good at a few and always find your way to that position so you can finish. if you like RNC, rather learn how to get to the back from any position, rather than learning submissions from all positions.

" Does the strategy sound bad? "

who am I to judge? I'd rather share my strategy. I'd like to footlock or take the back. I'm always looking for positions where I can elevate the hips so I can leglock, in any scramble I'll look for taking the back if they defend the legs. I take them where I want to finish.

" I could really use some advice or just someone to share their own experiences from competition, preparing, strategy and stuff like that. I would appreciate it :-) "

Compete so much, so that you become comfortable under the stress of the moment. Once you become relaxed and fluid, magic will happen. But you'll have to overcome a lot of insecurity and nervousness along the way. More time = more relaxed.

Also I eat #420 edibles before competition, but that's probably not for everyone
Gold: 101,124.89
May 29 2023 01:02am
Quote (Hellskin @ May 27 2023 02:48am)

Pretty common for strong large people, they do well in white belt but by the time they get to purple they realize they missed out on fundamedal movement and understanding. because their natural strenght gave them success early, they didn't have a need to learn the basics properly.

If your ego is in the way, growth is slower. Roll technical, try not to rely on strenght and size, tap if you get caught, this is where you will learn to move, rather than go caveman.

Enjoy the grind, seek discomfort. Spar with 25% people much better, 25% your peers and 50% with people you can have (and experiment on techniques here)

" i only really feel comfortable with straight ankle foot lock, kimura, americana and rear naked choke "

Those are plenty of tools, rather than knowing many techniques, get good at a few and always find your way to that position so you can finish. if you like RNC, rather learn how to get to the back from any position, rather than learning submissions from all positions.

who am I to judge? I'd rather share my strategy. I'd like to footlock or take the back. I'm always looking for positions where I can elevate the hips so I can leglock, in any scramble I'll look for taking the back if they defend the legs. I take them where I want to finish.

" I could really use some advice or just someone to share their own experiences from competition, preparing, strategy and stuff like that. I would appreciate it :-) "

Compete so much, so that you become comfortable under the stress of the moment. Once you become relaxed and fluid, magic will happen. But you'll have to overcome a lot of insecurity and nervousness along the way. More time = more relaxed.

Also I eat #420 edibles before competition, but that's probably not for everyone

So many tips then "420blazeit"
Gold: 100.00
May 29 2023 01:36am
Quote (Flopps @ 29 May 2023 14:02)
So many tips then "420blazeit"

very good tl:dr translation, thank you
May 30 2023 08:58am
Quote (Hellskin @ May 27 2023 08:48am)

Thanks alot for taking your time to give real advice. I have not had time to compete since the one i made about this thread, but i train as much as i have time for, which is at least 2 times a week, very rarely 3 times. There is a competition coming up in my dojo in both gi and no-gi and only open class, and im going for that one aswell, since i have the time for it.

I get what you say about people that are strong and for that reason, never really learn basic techniques, and it's a fact im really aware of when i roll. I feel like i've gotten more control, specially after my first competition, but when i roll with someone that goes super hard and fast, my ego still gets away with me and i use my power to save myself and make them tap instead. It really feels like a survival mechanism and often i don't even think about it before i have already made them tap, but i always feel a little bad afterwards, because i know in my heart, that if the person i rolled with was same size or bigger than me and with the same technical skills, i would have lost. Anyways, im enjoying training and the process of learning a new skill, but the rolls i like the most, are when it's more of a like 70-80% intensity roll with someone that is technically better than me, because they are very often much more flowing in the roll, instead of other white belts that just try to rip off heads.

This post was edited by JesterIsBack on May 30 2023 09:00am
Go Back To Martial Arts, Boxing & Wrestling Topic List
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll