d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Martial Arts, Boxing & Wrestling > My First Bjj Competition As White Belt
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 830.00
Apr 4 2023 12:35pm
Hello fellow BJJ mates.

I have my first BJJ competition coming up in 3 weeks as a white belt in GI.

For like 6 years ago, i trained BJJ No-gi for a year, but i stopped and did other martial arts (standing, no grappling).

Just recently i started training BJJ with gi, and i've only been there for 2 months and i felt like signing up to this event and just see what happens. Iam nervous as shit, specially since its a big competition with international participants.
Iam also in the ultra heavy league (100,5 kg+) - my current weight is around 111 kg. Im in pretty good shape and very muscular and explosive, but i gas really fast when im nervous because i spend much of my power in stupid situations, where it doesn't matter. Iam aware of it, but it's hard to master myself when people wants to roll hard.

Does anyone have any advice for a newb? My strategy so far is to use Cross Collar Snap Down to Knee Pick takedown, i got the inspiration from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BinXUNgGTHE

i've head really big success with it, i've gotten all other white belts in my gym down with it + a blue belt (he was only like 75-80 kg though) and a purple belt (also around 80 kg) - but does anyone know any other technically easy takedowns for a beginner? Maybe can show a video or some personal experience/preference?

Then when im down on floor with the guy, i would go for position instead of submission, since iam not really strong in my submission game yet, i only really feel comfortable with straight ankle foot lock, kimura, americana and rear naked choke or if i get in a lucky position, i can maybe get an armbar.
Does the strategy sound bad? I know im counting on landing on top on the floor, and thats because i found that iam really shit to working from my back, and it's hard as shit to get someone +100 kg off you.

I could really use some advice or just someone to share their own experiences from competition, preparing, strategy and stuff like that. I would appreciate it :-)

Regards
Gold: 10,600.00
Apr 5 2023 07:32pm
Just have fun, and try to win :)
Gold: 2.66
Apr 5 2023 10:18pm
Scissor sweep. Make sure you grab the opponent hands so that he don’t post up. But if it is gi, then it’s easier.

Spider guard sweep.

I’d go for the neck. Try a baseball bat choke from side control. Sometimes it’s hard getting people in armbars. So probably a good idea to open them up by attacking other things. I used to watch Stephen Kesting videos. He seems to have good strategy.

I like putting people in americanas. I’d push their arms down while in side control. Then hook their isolated arm thats touching the ground and lock it up.
Gold: 6.37
Apr 6 2023 05:19am
How long is the match? Try to plan your endurance for the length of the match.

When you are nervous sit down and focus on breathing. Try to lower your heart rate. Close your eyes if you have to. You need to avoid the adrenaline dump. Don't scream to try to psych yourself up don't run to the match. You can be sweating and ready to go but don't rush to get their and focus on breathing.

If you an relax your endurance will last much longer.

Lastly whenever I am nervous mainly in business before big meetings. I tell myself I'm excited and smile. Not sure the science behind it but it tricks your brain into something positive. A lot of performers do it before going on stage.
Gold: 3,702.00
Apr 6 2023 02:24pm
good luck man, my fat ass would never :rofl:
Apr 12 2023 02:22am
Quote (chizwez @ Apr 6 2023 02:32am)
Just have fun, and try to win :)

Yeah, that is my goal. And learn something in the process xD

Quote (BoomTitties @ Apr 6 2023 12:19pm)
How long is the match? Try to plan your endurance for the length of the match.

When you are nervous sit down and focus on breathing. Try to lower your heart rate. Close your eyes if you have to. You need to avoid the adrenaline dump. Don't scream to try to psych yourself up don't run to the match. You can be sweating and ready to go but don't rush to get their and focus on breathing.

If you an relax your endurance will last much longer.

Lastly whenever I am nervous mainly in business before big meetings. I tell myself I'm excited and smile. Not sure the science behind it but it tricks your brain into something positive. A lot of performers do it before going on stage.

Match lasts 5 minutes for white belts :-) Thx for the tips bro.

Quote (Malignanttumor666 @ Apr 6 2023 05:18am)
Scissor sweep. Make sure you grab the opponent hands so that he don’t post up. But if it is gi, then it’s easier.

Spider guard sweep.

I’d go for the neck. Try a baseball bat choke from side control. Sometimes it’s hard getting people in armbars. So probably a good idea to open them up by attacking other things. I used to watch Stephen Kesting videos. He seems to have good strategy.

I like putting people in americanas. I’d push their arms down while in side control. Then hook their isolated arm thats touching the ground and lock it up.

Thx for the tips bro! I will look up the baseball bat choke and the scissor sweep. Iam having much success with kimura from closed guard and americana from side control because of my strength, so im also focusing on theese :-)

Quote (jumanji8 @ Apr 6 2023 09:24pm)
good luck man, my fat ass would never :rofl:

Thx :D
Gold: 6.37
Apr 12 2023 09:32am
how did it go?
Gold: 0.04
Apr 15 2023 03:37am
100kg+ wb matches usually end with whoever scores the first TD

breathe

have fun

dont throw up

This post was edited by nlin on Apr 15 2023 03:37am
Apr 19 2023 02:50am
Quote (BoomTitties @ Apr 12 2023 04:32pm)
how did it go?

Haven't been yet, it's this saturday :)

Quote (nlin @ Apr 15 2023 10:37am)
100kg+ wb matches usually end with whoever scores the first TD

breathe

have fun

dont throw up

Sounds like solid advice :D My sensei says the same. My focus is all about the first takedown and then position before submission

This post was edited by JesterIsBack on Apr 19 2023 02:51am
Gold: 855.69
Apr 22 2023 07:27pm
Glhf and go for the ankle pick.
Go Back To Martial Arts, Boxing & Wrestling Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll