d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Disscuss Cpu Heat
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Apr 4 2023 12:18am
I was using a tool to check my computer and saw that my CPU temperature was very high. It showed 98 degrees C and since water boils at 100 degrees C, I am concerned. So, what makes a CPU run hot and what can be done to prevent it. Also, what sort of damange can happen?
Gold: 163,135.00
Apr 4 2023 03:23am
Multiple programs running at the same time. Too many tabs or windows open (browser drain). Insufficient ram, parts not compatible if custom built or not factory brand name built like "the omen" or "spectre" lines. Updates or poor air flow from case or heatsink. Run a windows defender scan while viewing your task manager graph or usage or details. You will notice your CPU in heavy use because this task needs to process so much data in your hard drive.
Apr 4 2023 06:59am
Quote (Xarzu @ 4 Apr 2023 01:18)
I was using a tool to check my computer and saw that my CPU temperature was very high. It showed 98 degrees C and since water boils at 100 degrees C, I am concerned. So, what makes a CPU run hot and what can be done to prevent it. Also, what sort of damange can happen?

Leave a bowl of Spaghetti or anything with sauce in a microwave for 10 minutes, and you will have an idea of how your CPU will look inside your computer case, and it will start smoking and smell like bad fireworks.
good chance it could start a fire if not unplugged after it starts smoking.

CPU normally Explodes at 103-110C

Just like everything else in the world, like Microwaves or a TV, don't keep a computer in a Closed/Trapped area, where heat can't escape.
Clogged Fans or Old/warn out fans can cause heating issues.

CPU thermal paste Starts to Dry & Crack after 5 years, and normally should be Removed/Cleaned and freshly applied with new Thermal paste.
Arctic Silver , Grizzly , Noctual Brands are normally the best and make nearly a 4 to 7C difference on average compared to other brands.

Even while Gaming you really shouldn't see your Temps above 84C, thats normally a sign of 1 of the above mentioned things.
That or you live in Florida on the hottest day of the year.

Gold: 10,100.00
Apr 4 2023 07:52am
Quote (conetopia @ Apr 4 2023 05:59am)
Leave a bowl of Spaghetti or anything with sauce in a microwave for 10 minutes, and you will have an idea of how your CPU will look inside your computer case, and it will start smoking and smell like bad fireworks.
good chance it could start a fire if not unplugged after it starts smoking.

CPU normally Explodes at 103-110C

Just like everything else in the world, like Microwaves or a TV, don't keep a computer in a Closed/Trapped area, where heat can't escape.
Clogged Fans or Old/warn out fans can cause heating issues.

CPU thermal paste Starts to Dry & Crack after 5 years, and normally should be Removed/Cleaned and freshly applied with new Thermal paste.
Arctic Silver , Grizzly , Noctual Brands are normally the best and make nearly a 4 to 7C difference on average compared to other brands.

Even while Gaming you really shouldn't see your Temps above 84C, thats normally a sign of 1 of the above mentioned things.
That or you live in Florida on the hottest day of the year.

Is everyone here terribly misinformed about latest gen CPUs?
Apr 4 2023 11:17am
Quote (Marvelous_M @ Apr 4 2023 04:23am)
Multiple programs running at the same time. Too many tabs or windows open (browser drain). Insufficient ram, parts not compatible if custom built or not factory brand name built like "the omen" or "spectre" lines. Updates or poor air flow from case or heatsink. Run a windows defender scan while viewing your task manager graph or usage or details. You will notice your CPU in heavy use because this task needs to process so much data in your hard drive.

I made a discovery and a fix. I had malware in the form of Chrome plugins running in the background once I disabled and removed them, my computer CPU cooled down.
Maybe I should make another discussion thread descriving how I was duped. Basically, there was a website that claimed I might be a bot and in order to convirm I was not, "click on accept" which was a trick to accept a mal chrome plugin.

Apr 4 2023 10:05pm
It is an old computer.

Isn't there some sort of adhesive on the CPU that should be replaced?

It is still running hot.
Apr 5 2023 12:28am
Quote (Xarzu @ 4 Apr 2023 23:05)
It is an old computer.

It is still running hot.

Yeah thermal paste, as i mentioned above.
Noctua NT-H1 3.5g, Pro-Grade Thermal Compound Paste (3.5g) $8.99
You just remove the CPU fan, clean the Thermal paste off the CPU & the heatsink of the fan with like Rubbing Alcohol ( you can get a bottle at most stores for like 2 bucks )
Then Just apply a decent pea size amount of thermal paste on top of the center of the cpu, and then firmly press the Heatsing&fan back on and lock it into place.

This post was edited by conetopia on Apr 5 2023 12:37am
Gold: 2,604.50
Apr 5 2023 08:25pm
Quote (Xarzu @ Apr 4 2023 08:05pm)
It is an old computer.

It is still running hot.

what's ur cpu?
did u overclock it?
wat cpu cooling? stock?

prob need to re-apply thermal paste
and possible get better cpu cooling, there are fairly cheap ones that are adequate, like under $30
Gold: 10,655.00
Apr 8 2023 07:04pm

Gold: 796.00
Apr 8 2023 11:50pm
Quote (Ghot @ Apr 8 2023 09:04pm)

this is clearly a fake video, because once past 103c it would have exploded.

This post was edited by purplex on Apr 8 2023 11:51pm
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll