d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Motor Sports & Cars > Worth Rebuilding Engine?
12Next
Closed New Topic New Poll
Banned
Gold: 4.25
Warn: 20%
Mar 13 2023 09:30am
hey all

i know only what ive managed to learn on my own. my concern is if i send the engine somewhere to be rebuilt that it will have issues when i get it back. is it common to have an engine rebuilt and other issues come up? is this something that i shouldnt even be worried about? i only ask because im seeing a lot of "rebuilt" blown engine miatas for sale.

im looking at rebuilding because the crank keyway is tore up pretty bad and after trying to loctite repair it once it appears the crank has some give again. a new engine alone is more than i paid for the car (engine only, no labor) its a bp4w long nose engine in a miata. i would be getting an ebay crankshaft to replace mine and having someone else rebuild it. i would be open to rebuilding it myself but my concern is taking apart the block and putting it back together only to have it be worse off than it was before. do you always have to have the block machined? im okay with pulling the motor out im just not sure where to go after that.
Members++
Gold: 7,306.00
Trader: Mediator
Mar 13 2023 02:38pm
Don't they make a crank extension keyway saver for those? Would suck to have to pull it and get a new crank if the engine itself is healthy.
Absolute worst case I would do the crank and new bearings. Unless you want to sink thousands into a true rebuild. Do you plan on keeping the car for a long time?
Gold: 8,587.00
Mar 14 2023 11:31am
Miata :lol:
Banned
Mar 14 2023 01:05pm
Quote (OEM @ Mar 13 2023 04:38pm)
Don't they make a crank extension keyway saver for those? Would suck to have to pull it and get a new crank if the engine itself is healthy.
Absolute worst case I would do the crank and new bearings. Unless you want to sink thousands into a true rebuild. Do you plan on keeping the car for a long time?

yes and i put one in and it was snug with 0 play and now for some reason i can wiggle the pully ever so slightly. due to the extension of the saver it is not possible to torque the crank bolt all the way down without possibly stretching it or the crankshaft itself as i understand the physics of it so i used some threadlocker (blue?) and this was the result. my plan is to attempt this same repair depending on what i find when i take it apart....again. if its worse than im hoping then i would like to consider pulling the engine out myself and putting a new crank in but im not a mechanic so its hard to know if im biting off more than i can chew or not. it seems pretty straight forward but how can i know what i dont know. i am on a budget which is why id like to rebuild it myself. im only looking to address the oil leaks (seemingly everywhere) while its out and the crankshaft. the other option is run it with more metal epoxy and hope for the best in the next year while i work on getting it ready for an ecotec swap

Quote (SharpNips @ Mar 14 2023 01:31pm)
Miata :lol:

i find great satisfaction in knowing that i live in your head rent free. all my opps bring me great pleasure when they expose this to me unknowingly.

This post was edited by Darnderin on Mar 14 2023 01:17pm
Mar 15 2023 06:15am
Quote (Darnderin @ Mar 14 2023 03:05pm)
yes and i put one in and it was snug with 0 play and now for some reason i can wiggle the pully ever so slightly. due to the extension of the saver it is not possible to torque the crank bolt all the way down without possibly stretching it or the crankshaft itself as i understand the physics of it so i used some threadlocker (blue?) and this was the result. my plan is to attempt this same repair depending on what i find when i take it apart....again. if its worse than im hoping then i would like to consider pulling the engine out myself and putting a new crank in but im not a mechanic so its hard to know if im biting off more than i can chew or not. it seems pretty straight forward but how can i know what i dont know. i am on a budget which is why id like to rebuild it myself. im only looking to address the oil leaks (seemingly everywhere) while its out and the crankshaft. the other option is run it with more metal epoxy and hope for the best in the next year while i work on getting it ready for an ecotec swap

i find great satisfaction in knowing that i live in your head rent free. all my opps bring me great pleasure when they expose this to me unknowingly.

You and my grandmother can go miata driving together :rofl:
Banned
Mar 15 2023 07:24am
This post is a violation of the site rules and appropriate action was taken.

Quote (SharpNips @ Mar 15 2023 08:15am)

lmfao dude whatever your mental health issue is plz get it addressed before i find youre on national news

its been like 2-3 years since our flame wars and yet i still live in your head rent free somehow. i totally forgot about your existence until yesterday.

im seldom on jsp and i go to the most random forums and somehow you still manage to find an itch to cry out publicly about daddy wonder cuckin you

get over it

This post was edited by Darnderin on Mar 15 2023 07:25am
Gold: 1,500.00
Mar 15 2023 09:38am
Quote (SharpNips @ Mar 15 2023 05:15am)

you clearly know nothing if thats your take on miatas

they are one of the best affordable platforms for racing and have a huge spec class with the scca and they also are an engine swap/boost addition away from being a modern day shelby

you may have some issue with the OP but dogging on him for a miata makes you look like an idiot
Banned
Mar 15 2023 10:22am
Quote (KoJ @ Mar 15 2023 11:38am)

they are one of the best affordable platforms for racing and have a huge spec class with the scca and they also are an engine swap/boost addition away from being a modern day shelby

you may have some issue with the OP but dogging on him for a miata makes you look like an idiot

hes just some loser troll and a bad one at that. i havent had an interaction with him in over a year and dont even frequent the same forums so either on some random circumstance he happen to come into auto and see my post or hes been checking my profile once a week for the past 3 years. i literally have posted maybe 5 times in the past year so i think this is kinda wild. literally in his head rent free

anyways if i cant fix this engine for less than the cost of replacing it im thinking about ecotec swapping it instead
Gold: 1,500.00
Mar 15 2023 04:36pm
Quote (Darnderin @ Mar 15 2023 09:22am)
hes just some loser troll and a bad one at that. i havent had an interaction with him in over a year and dont even frequent the same forums so either on some random circumstance he happen to come into auto and see my post or hes been checking my profile once a week for the past 3 years. i literally have posted maybe 5 times in the past year so i think this is kinda wild. literally in his head rent free

anyways if i cant fix this engine for less than the cost of replacing it im thinking about ecotec swapping it instead

if ur gunna swap, ls lol

the motor is rebuildable depending how in depth u wana get

you could do a simple clean up and dingle ball hone the cyls or you can take it and punch it 20-30 over and do performance parts

all depends on how much u want to pay and what kinda skills/tools you have available
Mar 16 2023 07:02am
Quote (KoJ @ Mar 15 2023 11:38am)

Nah it’s warranted

This guy randomly stalked my trade threads for months calling me a scammer despite having never traded with him before. Had to block his direct messages because he would fill my inbox daily. Completely delusional but I think he’s since gone through rehab so I’m happy for him.

However, anytime I stumble across one of his threads, a little jab is more than earned

This post was edited by SharpNips on Mar 16 2023 07:06am
Go Back To Motor Sports & Cars Topic List
12Next
Closed New Topic New Poll