d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Free Will? Is It An Illusion?
Prev167891013Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Jul 23 2010 03:30pm
Quote (Kamahl16 @ Jul 23 2010 08:50pm)
If God knows what will occur then you do not have the ability to choose otherwise.

Let's say that he knows I'll choose soup A over soup B. I never had a chance to choose soup B because it was already established I'd choose A. If we look at the exact moment I chose, if free will existed I could choose soup B, thus proving God wrong, however one of these two (God's foreknowledge or my free will) must be non-existent.

Also, I am curious why Christians think God would judge people if destiny exists. We already have all of our actions laid out before us before we've even lived our lives, so what is the point of judgment? God is simply judging his own design.

EDIT - The last sentence wasn't directly uniquely at you, I'm just throwing it out there.

How does knowing that you'll choose soup A over soup B negate free will? His knowledge on the subject stems directly from your free will.

As for your example, if we were to look at the exact moment that you choose, and you were to choose soup B, then it's impossible for it to be "already established [you'd] choose A". For that to happen (like you said), it would mean that God was wrong and his omniscience be limited which cannot be the case. Instead, God would know that you would choose soup B. To say that one or the other must be non-existent doesn't make sense to me, as God knowing what will occur =/= God choosing what will occur. Again, merely because God knows what you will choose does not change the fact that said knowledge is based solely on his ability to see the future and know what it is you will choose.

This post was edited by Handcuffs on Jul 23 2010 03:31pm
Gold: 33.00
Jul 23 2010 03:41pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Jul 23 2010 04:30pm)
How does knowing that you'll choose soup A over soup B negate free will? His knowledge on the subject stems directly from your free will.

As for your example, if we were to look at the exact moment that you choose, and you were to choose soup B, then it's impossible for it to be "already established [you'd] choose A". For that to happen (like you said), it would mean that God was wrong and his omniscience be limited which cannot be the case. Instead, God would know that you would choose soup B. To say that one or the other must be non-existent doesn't make sense to me, as God knowing what will occur =/= God choosing what will occur. Again, merely because God knows what you will choose does not change the fact that said knowledge is based solely on his ability to see the future and know what it is you will choose.

If anyone can know what will occur for certain, that means that only one action will occur for certain. If it is possible to know what will happen, then what will happen is predetermined.
Gold: 2,900.49
Jul 23 2010 03:41pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Jul 23 2010 09:30pm)

He could only know that if he set the thing in motion to begin with, and if he did then he only created us with the illusion of free will because all of our actions are simply made to fulfill this design that he has laid for us.

The issue is simply this. For God to know, without a doubt, what I will do and when then it impossible for me to do otherwise. I could never commit an action that he did not foresee, meaning the set of possible actions for me is limited to those things which contribute to God's grand design.

Basically, every single thing I've ever experienced, worked for, etc. was not because of my own talents or my own successes but rather it was all because God decided to lay that path out for me.
Jul 23 2010 03:43pm
Quote (Nihlathak @ Jul 23 2010 09:41pm)
If anyone can know what will occur for certain, that means that only one action will occur for certain. If it is possible to know what will happen, then what will happen is predetermined.

Sure, but that knowledge stems from the persons free will.

To say that God knows that one will choose X over Y, but then at the moment of choice the person's free will is limited because they cannot choose Y is to effectively say that one wishes to choose both X and Y at the same time when only one can be chosen.

This post was edited by Handcuffs on Jul 23 2010 03:43pm
Jul 23 2010 03:45pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Jul 23 2010 09:43pm)

To say that God knows that one will choose X over Y, but then at the moment of choice the person's free will is limited because they cannot choose Y is to effectively say that one wishes to choose both X and Y at the same time when only one can be chosen.

It doesn't stem from that person's free will because they never had the option to do anything different. The simply have the illusion that they may have done something different, when really they never had the option because if they had had the option they'd prove God wrong (or, moreover, they possessed the ability to prove him wrong by deviating from his grand plan).

Gold: 33.00
Jul 23 2010 03:46pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Jul 23 2010 04:43pm)

To say that God knows that one will choose X over Y, but then at the moment of choice the persons free will is limited because they cannot choose Y is to effectively say that one wishes to choose both X and Y at the same time when only one can be chosen.

If anyone can determine the future for certain, that means the input and output of the variables are able to be determined, and that we have no say in what the final output will be, because it will happen regardless of our "choice" or "will".

That's the absence of free will.
Jul 23 2010 03:46pm
Quote (Kamahl16 @ Jul 23 2010 09:41pm)
He could only know that if he set the thing in motion to begin with, and if he did then he only created us with the illusion of free will because all of our actions are simply made to fulfill this design that he has laid for us.

The issue is simply this. For God to know, without a doubt, what I will do and when then it impossible for me to do otherwise. I could never commit an action that he did not foresee, meaning the set of possible actions for me is limited to those things which contribute to God's grand design.

Basically, every single thing I've ever experienced, worked for, etc. was not because of my own talents or my own successes but rather it was all because God decided to lay that path out for me.

Either that, or God created a blank slate in you and you make your own success based off of your free will.

You wouldn't commit an action that he did not forsee, but you simultaneously would not commit such an action because it's something you would do in the first place. The fact that God knows that you won't act this way doesn't mean that you aren't choosing to act this way.
Jul 23 2010 03:48pm
Quote (Nihlathak @ Jul 23 2010 09:46pm)
If anyone can determine the future for certain, that means the input and output of the variables are able to be determined, and that we have no say in what the final output will be, because it will happen regardless of our "choice" or "will".

That's the absence of free will.

Unless the future is contingent on your free will, no? Meaning that there are an infinite amount of possibilities of occurences, but our free will and our choices effectively move us down a certain path, and God merely is aware of which path we will end up choosing to go down.
Jul 23 2010 03:48pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Jul 23 2010 09:46pm)
Either that, or God created a blank slate in you and you make your own success based off of your free will.

You wouldn't commit an action that he did not forsee, but you simultaneously would not commit such an action because it's something you would do in the first place. The fact that God knows that you won't act this way doesn't mean that you aren't choosing to act this way.

Living a life that was played out before I lived it is shallow and without any form of joy, in my opinion. I don't know why such a being would create humans just to live a life without any unique consequences and then judge them based off of decisions he pre-ordained.
Gold: 722.53
Warn: 10%
Jul 23 2010 03:49pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Jul 23 2010 09:43pm)

How did you reach that conclusion? You are choosing X and are restricted from choosing Y. How does that mean you are choosing both X and Y?
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev167891013Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll