d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Scott Walker And Evolution
Prev12345613Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 152.00
Feb 12 2015 10:35pm
Quote (thundercock @ Feb 12 2015 10:54pm)
Mike Huckabee believes that the Earth is roughly 6000 years old and that it was created in a week....are you going to tell me he was a poor governor in Arkansas? He was voted as one of 5 best governors by Time Magazine FYI...

Interesting how we have evidence of leaders making good decisions despite being Young Earth Creationists. In science, we tend to reevaluate ourselves when presented with conflicting evidence. Will you do the same?

I'm not claiming creationists or anti-science goons can't be good leaders by any means. It's just a very serious downside when I'm looking at prospective candidates.

This post was edited by Voyaging on Feb 12 2015 10:36pm
Gold: 12,730.67
Feb 12 2015 10:44pm
Quote (Voyaging @ Feb 12 2015 08:35pm)
I'm not claiming creationists or anti-science goons can't be good leaders by any means. It's just a very serious downside when I'm looking at prospective candidates.

These are all quotes from you:

"If you don't accept evolution your decision making is fundamentally flawed."
"Anyone that doesn't accept evolution is fundamentally irrational because they are oblivious to their cognitive failings."
"But the important point is that anyone whose holistic worldview is so radically inaccurate cannot be trusted to make informed decisions."
"Darwin's idea is the most important in human history, bar none, it is crucial to being an educated person to accept it first and foremost."

Those are very strong words and definitely imply that they are incapable of being a good leader. After all, part of being a good leader is good decision making.
Gold: 274,590.50
Feb 12 2015 10:51pm
A good leader represent well the population, if the population thinks that earth was created 6000 years ago in 1 week, then they deserve to have a leader with same beliefs.

Gold: 260.11
Feb 12 2015 10:54pm
Quote (Scaly @ Feb 12 2015 07:54pm)
Which would prove you to have a serious case of cognitive dissonance. How can someone hold two directly conflicting beliefs?

I would be even less likely to vote for someone who is possibly schizophrenic.

Anyone who doesn't believe evolution to be a scientific fact is too stupid to deserve a vote.

The same way most people do it, by weaseling their way around giving a clear answer.
Notice how he says that life "could have" started as it says in scripture.
Would have been a good response from a politician trying to navigate a crappy field, but in the end it's just that, a politician's answer.

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Feb 12 2015 10:54pm
Feb 12 2015 11:00pm
Quote (thundercock @ Feb 12 2015 11:44pm)
These are all quotes from you:

"If you don't accept evolution your decision making is fundamentally flawed."
"Anyone that doesn't accept evolution is fundamentally irrational because they are oblivious to their cognitive failings."
"But the important point is that anyone whose holistic worldview is so radically inaccurate cannot be trusted to make informed decisions."
"Darwin's idea is the most important in human history, bar none, it is crucial to being an educated person to accept it first and foremost."

Those are very strong words and definitely imply that they are incapable of being a good leader. After all, part of being a good leader is good decision making.

I stand by all of those statements, I didn't mean them as absolutes. I also think being taller than 5'4" is a pseudo-requirement for being a star NBA player but there are exceptions.

A YEC or someone who doesn't believe in evolution shows a lack of ability for analytical thinking. Obviously there are still YEC's who could be good political decision makers, but they're far less likely to be than a science-aware person.

This post was edited by Voyaging on Feb 12 2015 11:01pm
Gold: Locked
Feb 12 2015 11:06pm
Quote (IceMage @ Feb 12 2015 05:02pm)
This story really pisses me off. It's unbelievable, in this day and age, that hopeful Republican presidential candidates can't speak plainly about non-debatable issues of science. As Bobby Jindal said years ago, we need to stop being the party of stupid.

I get that some naive, old religious people may take issue with it... but I think it would be a net positive politically if Republicans would just speak the truth.

Thoughts PaRD? Let's not turn this into a liberal circle jerk.

I think that is a fair way of handling the issue. That being said, Walker is a fucknut.
Gold: 12,730.67
Feb 12 2015 11:15pm
Quote (Voyaging @ Feb 12 2015 09:00pm)
I stand by all of those statements, I didn't mean them as absolutes. I also think being taller than 5'4" is a pseudo-requirement for being a star NBA player but there are exceptions.

A YEC or someone who doesn't believe in evolution shows a lack of ability for analytical thinking. Obviously there are still YEC's who could be good political decision makers, but they're far less likely to be than a science-aware person.

Ah, now we're getting somewhere. I'd argue though that people who are raised in religious environments AND lack the ability to think critically end up as YECs. However, that's not the only way of becoming a YEC. I think when someone is a YEC, it should raise a flag and you should investigate it further. Once you do that though, you can make a better decision on whether or not they are qualified. Basically, I'm saying that just being a YEC alone isn't sufficient for disqualifying someone.
Feb 12 2015 11:32pm
Quote (thundercock @ Feb 13 2015 12:15am)
Ah, now we're getting somewhere. I'd argue though that people who are raised in religious environments AND lack the ability to think critically end up as YECs. However, that's not the only way of becoming a YEC. I think when someone is a YEC, it should raise a flag and you should investigate it further. Once you do that though, you can make a better decision on whether or not they are qualified. Basically, I'm saying that just being a YEC alone isn't sufficient for disqualifying someone.

Fair enough, I would agree, but they better have some serious upsides.
Gold: 20.31
Feb 12 2015 11:48pm
Quote (IceMage @ Feb 12 2015 05:02pm)
This story really pisses me off. It's unbelievable, in this day and age, that hopeful Republican presidential candidates can't speak plainly about non-debatable issues of science. As Bobby Jindal said years ago, we need to stop being the party of stupid.

I get that some naive, old religious people may take issue with it... but I think it would be a net positive politically if Republicans would just speak the truth.

It would be a positive in general elections but it would be a negative in primaries, that's why they do this. It's the price the party has to pay for embracing the right-wing fringe just to get elected in the first place. This was the inevitable consequence of turning the anti-intellectualism dial to 11.

That said, the party at least has an out in Jeb Bush. He's basically coming forward and saying I'll save you from yourselves if you just line up behind me. He won't kowtow and pander to the absurd degree that Mitt Romney did, so if they nominate him they'll have a credible standard-bearer with an opportunity to earn back some favor that they've lost over the past 10 years during their considerable lurch to the right.

This post was edited by Pollster on Feb 12 2015 11:50pm
Gold: 911.26
Feb 12 2015 11:53pm
Quote (IceMage @ Feb 12 2015 07:02pm)

yes... and rand paul strongly alluded to vaccines could cause autism... i don't be voting for rand paul cause of that...
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev12345613Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll