d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Just Another Day In America > Unarmed 22 Year Shot 20 Times By Police
Prev1171819202126Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 285.00
Apr 5 2018 04:22pm
Quote (Goomshill @ Apr 5 2018 05:04pm)
this is what police deal with

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzfS0jJF9EQ

I'm the person the police drop them off to. I have to fight two or three of these guys a month.

A little haldol will bring him back to earth.

The police won't even help us in the psych ward because they're not allowed to bring their guns in. We have lockers for them to put their guns into it is legal they make a personal decision not to come in. There have been times where me and some old ladies have been getting the shit beat out of us by psychotic methed out patients with cops on the other side of the door just watching.

Its like thanks guys, we appreciate the help.

Interesting sector in the economy, crisis stabilization.
Gold: 90.58
Apr 5 2018 04:27pm
Quote (Skinned @ Apr 5 2018 02:22pm)
I'm the person the police drop them off to. I have to fight two or three of these guys a month.

A little haldol will bring him back to earth.

The police won't even help us in the psych ward because they're not allowed to bring their guns in. We have lockers for them to put their guns into it is legal they make a personal decision not to come in. There have been times where me and some old ladies have been getting the shit beat out of us by psychotic methed out patients with cops on the other side of the door just watching.

Its like thanks guys, we appreciate the help.

Interesting sector in the economy, crisis stabilization.

Do you think that shooting was justified? Just out of curiosity

This post was edited by JohnMiller92 on Apr 5 2018 04:27pm
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 30%
Apr 5 2018 04:29pm
Quote (Goomshill @ 5 Apr 2018 23:04)
this is what police deal with

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzfS0jJF9EQ

i don't think a single reasonable person would have an issue with this. they tried to talk him down several times, warned him, told him to drop his weapon, tried to de-escalate the situation and backed up. only when he charged them, they fired ONE non-lethal (as far as i can tell) shot to take him down.

i just hope you aren't trying to say this somehow justifies the executions of ppl like clark / rice / castile...
Gold: 90.58
Apr 5 2018 04:30pm
Quote (fender @ Apr 5 2018 02:29pm)
i don't think a single reasonable person would have an issue with this. they tried to talk him down several times, warned him, told him to drop his weapon, tried to de-escalate the situation and backed up. only when he charged them, they fired ONE non-lethal (as far as i can tell) shot to take him down.

i just hope you aren't trying to say this somehow justifies the executions of ppl like clark / rice / castile...

How does an officer fire 1 non-lethal shot? Pretty sure that officer was aiming center mass (which they are trained to do)

This post was edited by JohnMiller92 on Apr 5 2018 04:31pm
Gold: 945.00
Apr 5 2018 04:32pm
Quote (JohnMiller92 @ Apr 5 2018 11:11pm)
@fender

thoughts?

They don't have clubs themselves ? warning shot perhaps.

Pretty much 4-1 ? perhaps 3-1 ?

It's a bad situation for sure, but a lack of teamwork to de-escalate the situation can be accountable for the shot being fired. I can understand the cop in this situation though, he was left alone and the guy was actually running towards him at the end, with a weapon.

This post was edited by Knoppie on Apr 5 2018 04:32pm
Apr 5 2018 04:33pm
Quote (JohnMiller92 @ Apr 5 2018 05:27pm)
Do you think that shooting was justified?

Personally I would have tried to avoid using deadly force. After growing up in the ghetto playing years of sports to deployments on military service and working in the psych ward I am pretty comfortable with high levels of violence. I think the police officer dealing with them did the best he could. Being a trained therapist and social worker I know the guy was in crisis but he was unable to be reasoned with. Police officers on average work on these cases on such a large scale that they can't really make exceptions the safety because if they compromise Doctrine like that then officers to die and that is unacceptable. We have had patients pull off planks of wood to use as cuddles after barricading themselves in their room and social workers and nurses and maintenance men are able to handle the situation. But this is all within locked doors and a controlled environment. We get hurt a lot doing it. But we know there's nothing more deadly on them than what we already know they have because by the time they get to us they have been searched usually. A crack pipe made it on the unit yesterday, had crack in it lol. That individual had not been searched and he could have had anything on him. I would like to think that non-lethal shots are possible but having been trained as a soldier that is very poor practice and again that would get officers killed in the long run.

I hope that the officers working that case get the mental health services they need so that they could avoid being the monster that gazing into the abyss too long creates. Harming another human being no matter how Justified on that magnitude leaves psychological scars.

Quote (JohnMiller92 @ Apr 5 2018 05:30pm)
How does an officer fire 1 non-lethal shot? Pretty sure that officer was aiming center mass (which they are trained to do)

100% of the time no deviation from this. When the decision to use deadly force is made it's go time.

This post was edited by Skinned on Apr 5 2018 04:39pm
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 30%
Apr 5 2018 04:35pm
Quote (Knoppie @ 5 Apr 2018 23:32)
They don't have clubs themselves ? warning shot perhaps.

Pretty much 4-1 ? perhaps 3-1 ?

It's a bad situation for sure, but a lack of teamwork to de-escalate the situation can be accountable for the shot being fired. I can understand the cop in this situation though, he was left alone and the guy was actually running towards him at the end, with a weapon.

well, given their short and insufficient training, i fully understand that they don't want to engage him on equal terms (even though they outnumber him and are not intoxicated).
something like a taser would have been appropriate, but if that wasn't available to them i do think it's justifiable to engage him with a gun, and not just a baton. again, you have to consider it's american police, not western european...

This post was edited by fender on Apr 5 2018 04:38pm
Gold: 22,164.69
Apr 5 2018 04:38pm
Quote (JohnMiller92 @ Apr 5 2018 04:30pm)

The officer is supposed to freeze time and roll a d20 to see if he can shoot the pipe out of the guy's hand and reflect the bullet harmlessly into the ground

something like a taser would have been appropriate

Ah yes, shoot a taser at the guy swinging a metal bar at your head, good plan that.
Is it a magic taser that always instantly incapacitates your target but never kills them?

This post was edited by Goomshill on Apr 5 2018 04:38pm
Apr 5 2018 04:40pm
Quote (Goomshill @ Apr 5 2018 05:38pm)
The officer is supposed to freeze time and roll a d20 to see if he can shoot the pipe out of the guy's hand and reflect the bullet harmlessly into the ground

Ah yes, shoot a taser at the guy swinging a metal bar at your head, good plan that.
Is it a magic taser that always instantly incapacitates your target but never kills them?

VATS >
Gold: 945.00
Apr 5 2018 04:41pm
Quote (fender @ Apr 5 2018 11:35pm)
well, given their short and bad training i fully understand they wouldn't engage him on equal terms (even though they outnumber him and are not intoxicated). something like a taser would have been appropriate but if that wasn't available to them i do think it's justifiable to engage him with a gun, and not just a baton. again, you have to consider it's american police, not western european...

Tasers would be great for this situation.. Tbh I'd love to see them more, but they also have their own moral dilemma. ^^
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1171819202126Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll