d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Struggling Mental Health...seeking Career Advice
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 215.00
Oct 24 2022 01:57pm
A little backstory

Three years ago I was a bartender at Chilli's. I went to a Developers bootcamp, and have since been working in QA. First as a technician, then analyst, now as an engineer. Over the first two years of my career switch I was riding high, very productive and always well liked in the office. This last year though, due to problems arising in real life, my mental health has taken a hit. I recently lost my job (not really fired, but the contract wasn't renewed). The last few months have been a shit show. Some days I wake up and never get out of bed, other days I would try to work and I'm completely distracted.

Last year I felt like I could get a job anywhere, now I feel like I've burned my bridges and in a constant downward spiral as all my relationships personally and professionally seem to be tainted.

I'm still confident in my skillselt and positive I'm competent in SQA and my programming skills, this isn't imposter syndrome.

Has anyone dealt with issues like this and how did you handle it? When I interview for jobs and they ask why I left my last job whats a good response?
Gold: 20.69
Oct 24 2022 04:51pm
I can only help you from the other side, as someone who interviewed quite a few candidates over the last years:

As long as it is still recent, just say that a contract wasn't renewed. If asked, you can always say you took a small break. I wouldn't mention mental health issues (but I am based in Germany, so the level of stigma may still be a bit different over here). But a reasonable small break is always acceptable (trave/leisure, learning new skills, supporting family, whatever). If you have some flexibility w.r.t. to location and apply often enough, there will be several companies that are just happy you're ready to start asap and not in 3 or 6 months.

If (let's hope not) the break gets too large, there are still plenty of options. Personally, I am not a fried of lying in any way and there are probably other people who can give move concise advice. I cna just tell you, that we have happily recruited people who applied for a position telling us they recently wanted to get into X (where X is something supposedly hearder/more valuable than the cavant position) and now they were happy to do the other thing again. It can be really, really nice to recruit someone who does NOT want to become "Head of Whatever" within the next two years... that doesn't even mean our company is cheap and that salaray will or cannot increase. Just that nobody needs more leaders than people actually getting shit done. In fact, I even know several people who make a lot more than their "managers", because we really do not want them to leave and want to make them happy to stay in their position.

With all that said, one more thing that I cannot really speak to from experience: Get your mental health in order. Wish you all the best with that. Once you do, you'll just magically be able to make a good impression and get the jobs you want. PLUS it will make sure you do well once you have the job.

This post was edited by Kasiir on Oct 24 2022 04:53pm
Gold: 32,904.12
Oct 26 2022 07:34pm
Quote (iambloodshot @ Oct 24 2022 12:57pm)
A little backstory

Three years ago I was a bartender at Chilli's. I went to a Developers bootcamp, and have since been working in QA. First as a technician, then analyst, now as an engineer. Over the first two years of my career switch I was riding high, very productive and always well liked in the office. This last year though, due to problems arising in real life, my mental health has taken a hit. I recently lost my job (not really fired, but the contract wasn't renewed). The last few months have been a shit show. Some days I wake up and never get out of bed, other days I would try to work and I'm completely distracted.

Last year I felt like I could get a job anywhere, now I feel like I've burned my bridges and in a constant downward spiral as all my relationships personally and professionally seem to be tainted.

I'm still confident in my skillselt and positive I'm competent in SQA and my programming skills, this isn't imposter syndrome.

Has anyone dealt with issues like this and how did you handle it? When I interview for jobs and they ask why I left my last job whats a good response?

Starting going to the gym and eating healthy. Reduce alcohol intake.

Exercise daily in some way, walking counts.

do it automatically - it's something you must do. You're laying in bed because you have no reason to get up. Your reason is you need to go for a walk. It's imperative. Get your ass up.

Give yourself some structure.

Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll