d2jsp
Gaming and Trading Community
Gaming and Trading Community
d2jsp Forums > Site Announcements > Spoofed Phishing Emails Warning! Read Now!
Add Reply New Topic
Page 1 of 1
njaguar
#1 Nov 12 2005 05:38pm
Group: Admin
Gold: 25,859.21
Trader: Trusted
This is a general warning and reminder to all users of this site. Please read this entire post to educate yourself on how some thieves are trying to steal your accounts.

Some thieves are sending out fake emails to some of the users of this site that had previously shown their email and/or msn messenger email addresses in their account profile. Do not respond to these emails! I will never email you and ask for your password! This is a very common scam attempt that people use to target paypal and ebay accounts as well. Do not be fooled by these fake emails! This scam attempt is called "Phishing", where a user fakes the outgoing headers to LOOK like it came from someone it did not, to try and trick them into following a link and giving away confidential information, or in this case, by responding to a different email address with the information.

For reference, here is a sample email that a user received, IT IS FAKE, DO NOT FOLLOW THE STEPS IN THIS EMAIL!:

> From: "Paul Taulborg (njaguar)" <njaguar@d2jsp.org>
> To: *********@hotmail.com
> Subject: d2jsp Account Expiration
> Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 13:55:09 +0500
>
>
> From njaguar
>
> Dear *********:
>
> Thank you very much for taking part in the d2jsp forum. As you can see, d2jsp.org has grown from a small private
> site to an online community. The loads on the forum has became too big for the database. As a result I will be
> deleting many inactive accounts in the next three days.
>
> If you still wish to participate in the forum, forward this e-mail to SCAM@d2jsp.cjb.net with the following
> details:
>
> Your d2jsp username and password on the first line of the E-mail, separated by a comma.
>
> On the second line of the E-mail, please write the date you joined d2jsp in the following format : "Month date
> Year"
>
> In the subject field write "Account Verification".
>
> Failure to do so will result in account suspension.
>
>
>
> The E-mail format should look like this:
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> To:SCAM@d2jsp.cjb.net
> Subject: Account Verification
> Body :
>
> YourName,Yourpass
> Jan 10 2005
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> The reason I need your password and the date you joined is to verify that you have are an active member on the
> d2jsp forum.
>
> Yours Sincerely
>
> Paul Taulborg (njaguar)

A couple of really obvious clues are the fact that he wants you to respond to a cjb.net email address, NOT to the njaguar@d2jsp.org (the REAL) email address! This is because njaguar@d2jsp.org comes directly to me, so his scheme wouldn't work unless he uses another different email address. Please note that I changed the actual email address he used.

If you receive an email like this, be sure to report it to the abuse@ domain he is using. In this case, cjb.net has already been notified. The more people that send in complaints, the sooner these thieves accounts will be shut down.

If you have any questions or concerns about this, please post about this in the General Help forum.
njaguar
#2 Nov 12 2005 05:43pm
Group: Admin
Gold: 25,859.21
Trader: Trusted
PS: Please pass this on to as many people as you can. No one has lost any accounts due to this, and I'd like to keep it that way.
Go Back To Site Announcements Topic List
Page 1 of 1