d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo II > Diablo 2 Discussion > Strategy & Guides > The Gavel Demon: Reimagining Goldfind Barbarians > D2:R
Prev12345180Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,462.00
Oct 29 2021 06:42am
Quote (lilith0 @ 29 Oct 2021 06:39)
wow, who could have predicted that a crushing blow (and cbf) helm would be bad in the eyes of a calculator that ignores crushing blows (and cbf)
anyone who knows the basics knows it's not possible a 20ias helm gives more dps than guilli

It'll show it in the details, but it's not added onto the sheet damage.
The DPS is upwards of 5.9~k higher if CB happens when it matters mostt, but it's completely irrelevant in most scenarios because the enemies die fast already.

And for lower budget setups, the life leech is more valuable than the minimal amount of damage.

GFace matters most vs. Bosses., because getting good kill speeds with simple Attack Speed is just not enough vs. the size of their health pools.

You already knew that though, and I'm not sure what you're trying to get at.
The whole point of the build is that we compensate for the lack of CB by using Amplify Damage. Without Amp Damage, you might save 1~ second per kill, but give up 10% life leech for it.
Given how much Life Leech is already scaled down in Hell, your Mercenary needs more than 7% of it to sustain some of the tighter spots & affixes.

GFace is 0.05 seconds faster at dealing damage, but loses 10% Life Leech in the process.
The same holds true if you scale down gear levels, where GFace speeds you up by at most 0.10seconds, but you lose 10% life leech from Tal Rasha's. The only setup that does much better with a GFace is when your DPS is in the dumpster (https://d2.maxroll.gg/d2planner/dp0106zf#1) and you have enough Life Leech from Bonehew with 2x Amn Runes.

Quote (zoltan-2 @ 29 Oct 2021 06:42)
Horking mid.combat means you might get an interrupt

Sure, but that's pretty inconsequential, isn't it? You're not really fighting, you're just walking around.
The Merc is fighting while you loot; with a 20FCR circlet, it's even faster.

This post was edited by Exokek on Oct 29 2021 07:00am
Gold: 3,854.69
Oct 29 2021 07:08am
Quote (Exokek @ Oct 29 2021 02:42pm)
The DPS is upwards of 5.9~k higher if the CB happens when it matters most, but it's completely irrelevant in most scenarios because the enemies die fast already.
And for lower budget setups, the life leech is more valuable than the minimal amount of damage.

so you said to use andy
which doesn't make sense because guilli is better
so now in order to justify that you said andy, you have to say that the lifeleech is what makes it better
except the build already has 15 leech from botd
so you need to say that actually we need more leech
except the build that you say is #1 happens to have 18 leech
so now you're stuck in the awkward position of having to defend a merc needs more than 15leech, but no more than 18, which is 100% ad hoc nonsense

tl;dr if high leech mattered, arioc would never beat botd, and if high leech doesn't matter, guilli>andy on the botd build

also you're still not taking into account cbf

Gold: 8.30
Oct 29 2021 07:11am
The hydras can interrupt you.....if you lose a hork u lose a pop which yes, seems consequential.
Oct 29 2021 07:29am
Quote (lilith0 @ 29 Oct 2021 09:08)
so you said to use andy
which doesn't make sense because guilli is better
so now in order to justify that you said andy, you have to say that the lifeleech is what makes it better
except the build already has 15 leech from botd
so you need to say that actually we need more leech
except the build that you say is #1 happens to have 18 leech
so now you're stuck in the awkward position of having to defend a merc needs more than 15leech, but no more than 18, which is 100% ad hoc nonsense

tl;dr if high leech mattered, arioc would never beat botd, and if high leech doesn't matter, guilli>andy on the botd build

also you're still not taking into account cbf

You're seriously arguing that people should be using 35% Crushing Blow over Andy's to kill a bunch of white monsters with twice the life total of an Oblivion Knight?
And I'm the one who doesn't understand how CB works and wherre it's useful?
Come on bro. Wake the hell up. You can't be for real right now.

15%LL at 4.55 hits per second with a higher chance to miss against all monsters
18%LL Arioc's at 5.56 hits per second with ITD vs. the non-Super Uniques.

The #1 build wasn't #1 until I started using CoH and made it hit 9frames/2 hits with the double 15IAS setup, and it solved the life leech problem.
CoH comes in with non-negligible built-in damage mitigation, which Fort doesn't.

15%LL becomes 3.2~% once you pass it through the filter of Drain Effectiveness & Hell LL reduction (0.66 and 0.33 multipliers). The Fort Setup has a bit more defense, reducing the odds of being hit by the Super Uniques by 1% more.
18%LL becomes roughly 3.9%~ once you pass it through the same filter, on top of the setup's 8% Flat damage reduction.

One of the biggest advantages of the faster attack speed setup in practice with Arioc's is that it just pokes the normal Council Members & doesn't miss.
On the other hand, I've had plenty of situations where my Merc will end up swinging with eBOTD and miss a couple hits. That slows down the life leech consistency tremendously, and with 15LL with less consistency, you have crazy spikes of bad hits/LL.
Does that mean the eBOTD setup sucks? No. It means you can DEFINITELY use the extra LL cushion of andy's and the extra attack speed.

That's it. We're trying to minimize the amount of times where we have to go "Oopsie, Merc exploded due to bad RNG".

The barrier to sustain in the most deadly combos isn't "CAN THE MERC DEAL MAX DPS?", it's "Am I mitigating enough damage & getting enough life back from these pokes, while also dealing good damage?"
The fact that we can get to 1 minute clears with potato gear is because the combination of AmpDmg (and Demon Limb at lower gear levels ), paired with good Life Leech & IAS breakpoints keeps the mercenary alive through the stupidest crap Trav has to throw at it.

You'll notice that I do put Guillaume's Face in the lowest DPS setup I listed: https://d2.maxroll.gg/d2planner/dp0106zf#1

This isn't Hell Baal, and you don't need CB unless your DPS is awful. And if your DPS is so bad that you need CB here, you probably shouldn't be in Hell Trav; just stick to Nightmare.

This post was edited by Exokek on Oct 29 2021 07:54am
Oct 29 2021 07:34am
Quote (zoltan-2 @ 29 Oct 2021 09:11)
The hydras can interrupt you.....if you lose a hork u lose a pop which yes, seems consequential.

Do we get hit though? Dwarf Stars absorb all the fire.
I don't go into hit recovery as far as I can tell.

If we do get hit, then I might need to take a second look at the pacing. If slowing down horking means we can gold cap in 16 minutes instead of 20, that's worth it.

This post was edited by Exokek on Oct 29 2021 07:40am
Gold: 30,103.56
Oct 29 2021 07:55am
Not a fan of gavel, seems more like a time waste than benefit

The item has 3 charges, the vendor to repair ur stuff in act 3 is fucking 3 kilometers away and if you swap act to repair every single game you might aswell not use it cos of the ridiculous loading screens

Maybe in d2, sure there I tp town after travi then quickly use wp to act 4 anyway before I log out to save time,but defenitely not in d2r
Oct 29 2021 08:01am
Quote (Stefbef @ 29 Oct 2021 09:55)

The item has 3 charges, the vendor to repair ur stuff in act 3 is fucking 3 kilometers away and if you swap act to repair every single game you might aswell not use it cos of the ridiculous loading screens

Maybe in d2, sure there I tp town after travi then quickly use wp to act 4 anyway before I log out to save time,but defenitely not in d2r

Eh. You already need to repair for Tele Charges anyway.
Maybe I need to account for the loading screen meta, I don't know. I pre-move during loading screens to get close to the vendor/on the WP.
If your loading screens are long enough you can even do your BC BO Shout routine while loading in Trav :rofl:

Gavel triples the damage, and nothing comes remotely close for efficiency no matter how much I tried to move away from it.

This post was edited by Exokek on Oct 29 2021 08:01am
Gold: 14,120.31
Oct 29 2021 08:38am
Quote (Stefbef @ Oct 29 2021 07:55am)

I know it seems counter intuitive but the time saved from council popping like water balloons is greater than that little 15 or 20 foot run to our buddy Halbu.

You should be ending in act 4 regardless if you repair, that act 3 spawn is a small marathon to WP.

This post was edited by TheKRatosisKilliniT on Oct 29 2021 08:38am
Gold: 30,103.56
Oct 29 2021 09:13am
Quote (TheKRatosisKilliniT @ 29 Oct 2021 16:38)
I know it seems counter intuitive but the time saved from council popping like water balloons is greater than that little 15 or 20 foot run to our buddy Halbu.

You should be ending in act 4 regardless if you repair, that act 3 spawn is a small marathon to WP.

Yes but the loading screen from the town portal and then another loading screen from taking the wp feels like watching the whole lotr trilogy

I think I’m faster off running from act 3 start than having to wait for 2 more loading screens

This post was edited by Stefbef on Oct 29 2021 09:13am
Gold: 14,120.31
Oct 29 2021 09:19am
Quote (Stefbef @ Oct 29 2021 09:13am)
Yes but the loading screen from the town portal and then another loading screen from taking the wp feels like watching the whole lotr trilogy

I think I’m faster off running from act 3 start than having to wait for 2 more loading screens

The feels
Go Back To Strategy & Guides Topic List
Prev12345180Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll