d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > Ladder Slasher > LS Character Builds > Question Regarding Builds/gear
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 399,940.90
Apr 7 2020 03:39am
Hi,
I have gone through some guides and builds which talk mostly about EE items and most are for tankers.

We know that using EE armor is best for tanking on Fighter/Barb and can be Plate mail, scale, leather, chain.
What if we had to go for Str/Dex for more damage on armor, does any particular type of armor matter here?
For instance,
Club / Sword Set with STR armor - Is there any particular armor type that serves best for fighter/barb/HH?
Dagger Set with Dex armor - Is there any particular armor type that serves best for Rogue/Samurai/Monk?
Axe Set - Does the armor/charm necessarily have to have both Str/Dex or just single stat also work?

2. Using Intelligence gear - I believe this is for casters, is there any guide which serves best what intel is mostly used on and any builds around this guide?

Charm value - Lightning & wild heal are worth the most as they can be used on HH later. Please correct if I am wrong here?
Gold: 97,469.34
Apr 7 2020 04:44am
Scale/Plate - best armor type to use on ANY char that is able to wear it

Padded robe - best armor type to use on ANY char that is not able to wear a scale/plate

It doesn't matter if your axe charm/armor has both str and dex or just one of them

Int is used to boost your charm's dmg/heal potential, mainly on magician/warlock/alchemist. Every int point also gives you mana equal to your char's lvl + 1 and boosts your armor's magical defense. It is never/rarely used just for that though.

In terms of stat charms, yes lightnings and wilds are worth the most. In terms of using them to cast, they are worth the least ( more or less )
Gold: 22,328.48
Apr 7 2020 08:45am
It's arguable whether or not plate is the best type, it's certainly my preferred type of armor because it's also cheap. Chain is somewhere between plate and scale offering "some" magic defense without losing much physical defense.
Scale is generally preferred as it covers HH also, it will also block a significant amount of magic damage which plates certainly don't.
Scale is in most peoples eyes better than leather.
Scale/Leather has the bonus of also being usable by rogue, so if you're dagger or staff set is better than your sword/axe/club, you can run a rogue as your first class to take advantage of your better gear.

Str/Dex will not matter what type of gear it's on.
In general robes will be most expensive, especitally for dex, as pretty much every single slasher needs a dex robe set (as monk's weapons are staff/dagger, both which main stat dex)
Strength robes are also good, as sword users will need them for ninja and can also be used for HH.
Strength/dex leathers/scales are next most valuable as they're usable on HH as well as first 3 classes
Strength/dex chains/plates arn't worth much at all.

As some idea a 45 dex armor at level 30:
Robe/padded robe ~2k-4k
scale/leather ~500-1k
plate/chain ~200-500

Axes: only thing which matters if you round up your strength/dex to an even number when you're levelling, the amount on the items makes no difference really, higher is simply better.
To clarify further, if you have 53str and 79 dex on your axe user that you're levelling up. this will have the exact same damage as having 52 str and 78 dex. Having 54 str and only 78 dex will deal more damage.

agree with jupiter5 on int gear. Start worrying about it once you have a ninja, as warlock is going to be next and it's better to be prepared than to get to warlock and realise you have no items, until then don't worry about int gear, unless you REALLY want to try a mage for some reason.

As jupiter5 also stated, +str/dex lights/wild heals = high cost.
+ee lights/wild heals, generally cheaper than other charms.
Gold: 32,928.12
Apr 7 2020 10:51am
Quote (Jupiter5 @ Apr 7 2020 12:44am)
Scale/Plate - best armor type to use on ANY char that is able to wear it

Padded robe - best armor type to use on ANY char that is not able to wear a scale/plate

It doesn't matter if your axe charm/armor has both str and dex or just one of them

Int is used to boost your charm's dmg/heal potential, mainly on magician/warlock/alchemist. Every int point also gives you mana equal to your char's lvl + 1 and boosts your armor's magical defense. It is never/rarely used just for that though.

In terms of stat charms, yes lightnings and wilds are worth the most. In terms of using them to cast, they are worth the least ( more or less )

I want to clarify the first thing that Jupiter said because I think it may be confusing. Hopefully I am saying what Jupiter meant to say:

"Scale/Plate - best armor type to use on ANY char that is able to wear it

Padded robe - best armor type to use on ANY char that is not able to wear a scale/plate"

When you are looking at stat armor (i.e., there is no EE on the armor at all), wear the heaviest armor you can to reduce damage taken the most. That is because, with no EE, you want as much physical defense as possible because you will be taking mostly physical damage and there's no way you're gonna mitigate it to 0 without EE, so maximize it. Plate if you can wear heavy armor, scale if you can't wear heavy armor, but can wear medium. If you can only wear robe, make sure it's padded.

It gets more important as you get lower in armor class that you get the heaviest version. For example, chain is still pretty close to plate in terms of physical defense, so if you get a slightly better or slightly cheaper chain than plate, it can still make sense to go for it. If you are trying to solo in a robe, it will make a really big difference that you have padded because normal robe will feel like you are wearing a paper bag lol.

And if you do go for EE armor, chain will generally end up being better than plate because you will get double the magical defense for a very modest reduction in physical defense. Scale is still going to be better than leather unless you reach very high EE (think 250 ee) and high vit compared to int (think 200+ vit and under 40 int)... and only then leather will be better only until very high levels and then scale will overtake again. In all cases padded robe will be far superior to normal robe because normal robe has half the physical damage reduction and barely any added magical defense.

GL :)

This post was edited by BWConformity on Apr 7 2020 10:54am
Gold: 22,328.48
Apr 7 2020 12:51pm
Quote (BWConformity @ Apr 7 2020 05:51pm)
I want to clarify the first thing that Jupiter said because I think it may be confusing. Hopefully I am saying what Jupiter meant to say:

And if you do go for EE armor, chain will generally end up being better than plate because you will get double the magical defense for a very modest reduction in physical defense. Scale is still going to be better than leather unless you reach very high EE (think 250 ee) and high vit compared to int (think 200+ vit and under 40 int)... and only then leather will be better only until very high levels and then scale will overtake again. In all cases padded robe will be far superior to normal robe because normal robe has half the physical damage reduction and barely any added magical defense.

GL :)

In all of these cases
Plate cheaper than chain
Leather cheaper than scale
robes are garbage, don't use. Use padded robes.

So the correct answer is buy what suits the budget whilst bearing that all in mind :P
Gold: 433.48
Trader: Trusted
Apr 8 2020 09:51am
Quote (Bigheaded @ 7 Apr 2020 20:51)
In all of these cases
Plate cheaper than chain
Leather cheaper than scale
robes are garbage, don't use. Use padded robes.

So the correct answer is buy what suits the budget whilst bearing that all in mind :P

Plate is not cheaper than a chain and robes are not useless
All ee robes are not useful imo

For stat gear type does not matter at all. Just use the most stats you can get for your budget
You will need dex robes for monk though as staff and dagger are dex based
Unless you cast on monk of course

^bwconformity ee chains are not better than plates. Magic defense difference is too small to have higher impact than physical defense

This post was edited by Meridius on Apr 8 2020 09:56am
Apr 8 2020 12:37pm
Quote (Meridius @ Apr 8 2020 05:51am)
Plate is not cheaper than a chain and robes are not useless
All ee robes are not useful imo

For stat gear type does not matter at all. Just use the most stats you can get for your budget
You will need dex robes for monk though as staff and dagger are dex based
Unless you cast on monk of course

^bwconformity ee chains are not better than plates. Magic defense difference is too small to have higher impact than physical defense

Lol
Apr 8 2020 02:48pm
Quote (BWConformity @ 8 Apr 2020 20:37)
Lol

Well I got plenty of mm to have experienced it
Apr 8 2020 02:49pm
Quote (Meridius @ Apr 8 2020 10:48am)
Well I got plenty of mm to have experienced it

I have solo’d above lvl 100 quite a lot and how much damage you mitigate actually matters a lot more when you are solo.

This post was edited by BWConformity on Apr 8 2020 02:49pm
Apr 9 2020 03:36am
Quote (BWConformity @ 8 Apr 2020 22:49)
I have solo’d above lvl 100 quite a lot and how much damage you mitigate actually matters a lot more when you are solo.

Kinda also does if you hit 9wave wo at 110+
Plate is the best tank armor at these levels
Go Back To LS Character Builds Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll