d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Cannabis
Prev1234568Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 9,276.00
Jun 19 2018 11:14pm
Quote (SBD @ Jun 19 2018 09:32pm)
Yes that is organic growth which of course will take place in any growing industry.

As with any new industries the poor companies will be weeded out, no pun intended.

I am only saying I do not expect any immediate surge as many people would believe. I speak to many people who are first time investors due to the weed market brining them into securities investing for the first time who seem to believe there will be some immediate surge.

I don't believe so due to the companies already being completely overvalued due to speculation, but who knows look at Tesla.

I agree it’s sell on news type scenario.

Difference between Tesla and this hype train is Tesla markets itself as a tech company that will lead innovation.

I’m not against legalization but I’m skeptical how this will have a positive effect on society as a whole. New product to market which will lead to more people consuming this product and tbh I can’t say that this will be a net positive for society. This is coming from someone who used to smoke weed daily for a good 2-3 years a long time ago and who knows what being a stoner looks like and the life style they lead.

This post was edited by ofthevoid on Jun 19 2018 11:15pm
Gold: 260.11
Jun 19 2018 11:22pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Jun 19 2018 11:14pm)

Difference between Tesla and this hype train is Tesla markets itself as a tech company that will lead innovation.

I’m not against legalization but I’m skeptical how this will have a positive effect on society as a whole. New product to market which will lead to more people consuming this product and tbh I can’t say that this will be a net positive for society. This is coming from someone who used to smoke weed daily for a good 2-3 years a long time ago and who knows what being a stoner looks like and the life style they lead.

The data coming out of Colorado is that hard drug use has fallen in favor of legal weed.

So that's a net positive I'd say.

Also not necessarily convinced more people will try it if it's legal considering how easily accessed it is now even though it's illegal. I don't partake and I still won't even if it becomes legal, and I don't know a single person that was able to convince me that the only reason they didn't do it is because it's illegal.

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Jun 19 2018 11:23pm
Jun 19 2018 11:28pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Jun 19 2018 10:22pm)
The data coming out of Colorado is that hard drug use has fallen in favor of legal weed.

So that's a net positive I'd say.

Also not necessarily convinced more people will try it if it's legal considering how easily accessed it is now even though it's illegal. I don't partake and I still won't even if it becomes legal, and I don't know a single person that was able to convince me that the only reason they didn't do it is because it's illegal.

The emphasis of what i said is on the marketing.

This is a industry in its infancy. As companies look to grow revenue they will increase marketing funding. As this happens undoubtedly more consumers will be attracted. This isn't going to happen over night but might take multiple years if not decades to reach a saturated consumer base. Apple's demand on iPhones is exponentially higher compared to the first time they unveiled the iPhone, similar principle.

This post was edited by ofthevoid on Jun 19 2018 11:32pm
Gold: 0.88
Jun 19 2018 11:34pm
still won't save him next year
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 10%
Jun 19 2018 11:35pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Jun 20 2018 01:14am)

Whether or not it has a positive effect on society should be irrelevant to marijuana/cannabis legalization... alcohol is legal (and far worse than marijuana on a societal level), so marijuana legalization is long overdue.
Jun 19 2018 11:40pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Jun 19 2018 11:28pm)
The emphasis of what i said is on the marketing.

This is a industry in its infancy. As companies look to grow revenue they will increase marketing funding. As this happens undoubtedly more consumers will be attracted. This isn't going to happen over night but might take multiple years if not decades to reach a saturated consumer base. Apple's demand on iPhones is exponentially higher compared to the first time they unveiled the iPhone, similar principle.

Apple isnt really comparable since weed isnt a brand new product. The awareness is already there so im skeptical in how much use is going to increase even if/when there can be ad campaigns for the product. Hell it may even go down in usage as the taboo disappears and it becomes corporate, but especially once more studies on the negative effects of long term use start coming out.
Jun 19 2018 11:42pm
Quote (Horford @ Jun 19 2018 10:35pm)
Whether or not it has a positive effect on society should be irrelevant to marijuana/cannabis legalization... alcohol is legal (and far worse than marijuana on a societal level), so marijuana legalization is long overdue.

If we were to somehow quantify the cost of alcohol use on society it would be enormous. Between alcohol related deaths, illnesses, relationship breakdowns & a million other things it impacts, it's astronomical. I don't say this as an argument against it being legal but it's something to be aware of. I don't think weed is as bad as alcohol but like i said the long term cost or benefit to society in my opinion will be a negative, similarly to alcohol.

Quote (Thor123422 @ Jun 19 2018 10:40pm)
Apple isnt really comparable since weed isnt a brand new product. The awareness is already there so im skeptical in how much use is going to increase even if/when there can be ad campaigns for the product. Hell it may even go down in usage as the taboo disappears and it becomes corporate, but especially once more studies on the negative effects of long term use start coming out.

Neither was tobacco or alcohol a new product but as they became more easily available and companies marketed them better the demand grew and grew.

This post was edited by ofthevoid on Jun 19 2018 11:49pm
Jun 20 2018 12:06am
Quote (ofthevoid @ Jun 19 2018 11:42pm)
If we were to somehow quantify the cost of alcohol use on society it would be enormous. Between alcohol related deaths, illnesses, relationship breakdowns & a million other things it impacts, it's astronomical. I don't say this as an argument against it being legal but it's something to be aware of. I don't think weed is as bad as alcohol but like i said the long term cost or benefit to society in my opinion will be a negative, similarly to alcohol.

Neither was tobacco or alcohol a new product but as they became more easily available and companies marketed them better the demand grew and grew.

I dont think its going to be significantly easier to get. You can get it now pretty easily no matter where you live.

Also alcohol and tobacco were in use and easily accessible way before any mass marketing or mass production. Those two are pretty fundamental to western society going back before even Jesus.
Gold: 6,487.40
Jun 20 2018 06:05am
Gold: 2,420.00
Jun 20 2018 06:10am
Quote (nekrotic @ Jun 20 2018 07:05am)

gangweeders rise up
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1234568Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll