d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Creating Indie Game > Anyone Have Exp With Indie Games?
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.35
Jun 9 2018 12:53pm
me and two friends (all computer science students) decided to give a game a serious shot.

Being fairly new to game dev and having no budget, we of course decided to try a fairly simple and with easy 8px design etc..

I just wanted to make a post and see if anyone had some experience and maybe had some great suggestions for this kind of process.
Being young and green I'm sure there's lots of stuff we havent thought about, but we are also enjoying this process by learning as we go. Anyways, just wanted to put my ears out for any tips :)

regards,
Gold: 1,939.50
Jun 9 2018 02:10pm
My suggestion is to use a framework for creating video games. Don't try to write your own engine unless you're just trying to learn.

Personally, I've done a few 2d video games using 8/16 bit sprites. I used Unity + Tiled for a RPG. I used Phaser for a platformer. What type of game do you plan on creating? RPG , Platformer, FPS?
Gold: 0.35
Jun 9 2018 03:24pm
Hi! thank you very much for your input! appreciate it :)

We are using Unity, I'm only a few days into it and already find it quite awesome. We are planning a rogue alike game in 2D using 8/16 bits sprites - a minecraftish style, since none of us are great at designing 3D models etc, we thought 2D and a minecraft style would be a bit easier... me and my buddy are best at pure backend, and the third is decent designer, but he thought 3D models would take ages if we wanted to do lots of different things..

This post was edited by filsoof on Jun 9 2018 03:25pm
Gold: 1,939.50
Jun 11 2018 03:58pm
If you're worried about 2d or 3d assets you can get hundreds of free 2d and 3d assets from the unit asset store. There are also a lot of other places you can get free assets for use in commercial and non-commercial products. Check out https://opengameart.org/
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll