d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Other Games > Consoles > Sony > Final Fantasy 14 > Anyone Play?
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 28,276.41
Jun 9 2018 11:31am
I caved and had my friend talk me into getting it, if anyone wants to play and teach me some of the ropes let me know :)

/e faerie server

This post was edited by 4killer7 on Jun 9 2018 11:43am
Gold: 250.00
Warn: 10%
Jun 9 2018 03:51pm
WARNING : I haven't played since the final coil was the newest thing, so the info is based off my experience from when I played and may not be 100% relevant to your experience.

Grind to max, just go through the story, do side quests, level up however you can while training stuff that's interesting to you. The start is like every other MMORPG and there's no wrong way to play, just have fun with it man. If you're looking for specifics, you can grind the following to lvl up quick, which should be pretty self-explanatory when you get into the game.

main quests, (great for lvling)
dungeons (amazing for lvling) - Do w/e lvl you can.
class quests
fates
and daily roulettes.

When I played, you couldn't go into T10+ without a full team already, while the lower coils you could do matchfinder, but it would take anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour+ to find a match. T8/T9 were practically impossible in random groups since people are so terrible. 8 wasn't hard, but 9 was a fucking bitch at the time and I never even got past the second wave with a random group and I tried dozens of times even after memorizing the whole fight and calling out, guiding people etc, randoms just don't listen. Beat it eventually by having a friend who was on T13 and his friends run it with me. Before that though, there are all the summon fights, ifrit/mog/shiva etc... and they all have a hard mode too. You had to beat a few of the summon fights to unlock the coils. The summon fights and the lower coils were easy peasy, you just had to hope you didn't have 2 full potato teammates and you were fine lol.

Once you get further up, start looking for a group, or join up with your friend and his buddies (will make the game 1000000x better at end-game if you've got people to play with), and work on grinding those coils out or w/e the raid content is now. Shit was sooo fucking fun, getting the timings down, optimizing DPS or healing or w/e roll you're playing while avoiding all incoming attacks etc... was a fucking blast. It really was a great game, but I never could find a full team for T10+ and after me and my buddy beat all the content we could on our own and we spent about 6 months searching online for clans/teams to join up with, we called it quits. We tried with a couple, and either they were full and you were alternate #7+, or they were kids on T5 begging you for help. I've heard it's gotten better since the expansions in those departments, but I wouldn't know. I did enjoy the game a lot though and you should have a good time with it.

E: Everything regarding end-game I said could be completely worthless with the expansions and w/e now, but the same applies. You should be able to do a lot of the starting end-game content on your own or by going into matchfinder solo and playing with randoms. Watch videos so you know what you're doing if you keep getting wiped over and over, since sometimes there's just a mechanic that's going over your head for w/e reason (it happens to everyone), and keep grinding until you get to a point where it's impossible to progress by yourself and then join a squad and continue the climb. Best of luck with it and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

This post was edited by jadeoshbogosh on Jun 9 2018 04:11pm
Jun 9 2018 04:46pm
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Jun 9 2018 04:51pm)
WARNING : I haven't played since the final coil was the newest thing, so the info is based off my experience from when I played and may not be 100% relevant to your experience.

Grind to max, just go through the story, do side quests, level up however you can while training stuff that's interesting to you. The start is like every other MMORPG and there's no wrong way to play, just have fun with it man. If you're looking for specifics, you can grind the following to lvl up quick, which should be pretty self-explanatory when you get into the game.

class quests
fates
and daily roulettes.

When I played, you couldn't go into T10+ without a full team already, while the lower coils you could do matchfinder, but it would take anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour+ to find a match. T8/T9 were practically impossible in random groups since people are so terrible. 8 wasn't hard, but 9 was a fucking bitch at the time and I never even got past the second wave with a random group and I tried dozens of times even after memorizing the whole fight and calling out, guiding people etc, randoms just don't listen. Beat it eventually by having a friend who was on T13 and his friends run it with me. Before that though, there are all the summon fights, ifrit/mog/shiva etc... and they all have a hard mode too. You had to beat a few of the summon fights to unlock the coils. The summon fights and the lower coils were easy peasy, you just had to hope you didn't have 2 full potato teammates and you were fine lol.

Once you get further up, start looking for a group, or join up with your friend and his buddies (will make the game 1000000x better at end-game if you've got people to play with), and work on grinding those coils out or w/e the raid content is now. Shit was sooo fucking fun, getting the timings down, optimizing DPS or healing or w/e roll you're playing while avoiding all incoming attacks etc... was a fucking blast. It really was a great game, but I never could find a full team for T10+ and after me and my buddy beat all the content we could on our own and we spent about 6 months searching online for clans/teams to join up with, we called it quits. We tried with a couple, and either they were full and you were alternate #7+, or they were kids on T5 begging you for help. I've heard it's gotten better since the expansions in those departments, but I wouldn't know. I did enjoy the game a lot though and you should have a good time with it.

E: Everything regarding end-game I said could be completely worthless with the expansions and w/e now, but the same applies. You should be able to do a lot of the starting end-game content on your own or by going into matchfinder solo and playing with randoms. Watch videos so you know what you're doing if you keep getting wiped over and over, since sometimes there's just a mechanic that's going over your head for w/e reason (it happens to everyone), and keep grinding until you get to a point where it's impossible to progress by yourself and then join a squad and continue the climb. Best of luck with it and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Thanks for the tips, played ESO to the end game and had a blast but I wanted something new and a lot of my friends stopped playing / very hard to find people as you stated. Wish it were easier to find groups even if it's online forums, I know this one is dead but might as well try

So there is a lot of good level grinding spots? I heard the early game is slow but pretty much all mmos are
Jun 9 2018 08:08pm
I usually get bored of MMOs before I get to end-game due to the slow starts, but I felt like there was enough to do playing solo in this to keep me entertained until I got to the end. Ofc end-game is where it gets really fun, but I enjoyed it the whole way through. It gets a bit tedius towards the end of the grind to max, but it's not that bad compared to others I've played.
Jun 9 2018 08:35pm
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Jun 9 2018 09:08pm)
I usually get bored of MMOs before I get to end-game due to the slow starts, but I felt like there was enough to do playing solo in this to keep me entertained until I got to the end. Ofc end-game is where it gets really fun, but I enjoyed it the whole way through. It gets a bit tedius towards the end of the grind to max, but it's not that bad compared to others I've played.

That sounds great, really big things I like is a good trade market and good end game, ESO has too much account bound shit like D3. Miss D2 where the market was crazy fun. I doubt ffxiv is that but still
Gold: 194.66
Jun 9 2018 09:17pm
Been thinking about playing it (haven’t yet) but not sure if it’s a dead game or not
Jun 9 2018 10:26pm
Quote (ThirtyTwo @ Jun 9 2018 08:17pm)
Been thinking about playing it (haven’t yet) but not sure if it’s a dead game or not

It was more active than I anticipated when I played, but that was a few years ago. It's important to do your research and pick one of the busiest servers, or play where your friends are. Cross-platform play definitely keeps it more alive than other titles.

E: I picked one of the least active servers because the guy who talked me into playing played there. Unfortunately, he like everyone else worth doing end-game content with was already in a full group and they weren't even accepting new alternates lol. Ended up being pretty shitty towards the end because of that, but I had a blast on the grind and for awhile grinding the end-game stuff I could and that was before all the added stuff thats there now.

This post was edited by jadeoshbogosh on Jun 9 2018 10:28pm
Jun 9 2018 10:34pm
Quote (ThirtyTwo @ Jun 9 2018 10:17pm)

Join the fearie server if you do decide :)
Gold: 0.00
Jun 10 2018 12:21pm
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Jun 9 2018 03:51pm)

class quests
fates
and daily roulettes.

No reason to do dungeons except for MSQ unless you are tank/heal, the queue time isn't worth it, for DPS palace of the dead is the fastest xp until 60.

Quote (4killer7 @ Jun 9 2018 10:34pm)
Join the fearie server if you do decide :)

You should have bought an account with a spot in gilgamesh for like $20.

This post was edited by ISellLeagueBoosts on Jun 10 2018 12:22pm
Jun 10 2018 06:21pm
Quote (ISellLeagueBoosts @ Jun 10 2018 01:21pm)
No reason to do dungeons except for MSQ unless you are tank/heal, the queue time isn't worth it, for DPS palace of the dead is the fastest xp until 60.

You should have bought an account with a spot in gilgamesh for like $20.

Friend who wanted me to play with him was in faerie so I went that route, is there any real difference other than player pop?
Go Back To Sony Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll