d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > H&f Mental Health
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 32,090.31
Jun 9 2018 09:57am
Take up something you don't usually do that can actually keep you interested.

I have sucked at art my whole life and this past winter I was so stressed out from school and life that I needed something so I went and bought an easel and some paints and just zen out doing whatever comes to the pad.

I'm obviously never going to make money for it or anything, but it's a nice way to get my mind right. Would highly recommend something like that.
Gold: 0.00
Jun 9 2018 02:12pm
Make sure to get enough sun everyday.
Jun 9 2018 10:45pm
rub one out
Gold: 108.01
Jun 10 2018 01:03pm
Thank you guys honestly some great advice in here. Definitely going to help me keep my sanity over the next couple months sorting things out lol.

Quote (bjones9 @ Jun 7 2018 09:52pm)
Sounds basically like my life right now except I’m doing a lot of drugs to compensate

Ye I can't go that route, had a few family members get addicted to some stuff over the years and don't wanna risk I got that gene as well lol. Best of luck though m8, life is complicated.

Quote (cloudkicker @ Jun 8 2018 01:48pm)
find a cause that you can put volunteer time into. intrinsic reward is the key to happiness and finding direction in life. i bust my ass (in a paid, lol, position) at an emerg vet hospital taking care of sick and injured animals and nothing makes me happier. it feels real good to do something that makes a difference to a life

It's been a few years at this point since I've done any volunteer work and I didn't even give it a second thought about how much happiness that brought me that's gone. I think getting back into that will be the first thing I go for, I appreciate it man.

Quote (Braxton11 @ Jun 9 2018 07:57am)
Take up something you don't usually do that can actually keep you interested.

I have sucked at art my whole life and this past winter I was so stressed out from school and life that I needed something so I went and bought an easel and some paints and just zen out doing whatever comes to the pad.

I'm obviously never going to make money for it or anything, but it's a nice way to get my mind right. Would highly recommend something like that.

Man reading these replies I feel like I've forgotten my old self... I used to play the saxophone all the time and haven't touched it in years now, think that might be the art I'm missing.

I greatly appreciate you all taking the time to reply, may the gains be aplenty to all. :hug:

Gold: 748.53
Jun 12 2018 03:05pm
Meditation is best. Srs.

Also drugs. Some cannabis at night to relax is unbeatable. A one time psychedelic trip can also do wonders for perspective and mental health. Both of these choices also obviate your apprehension toward addiction, so win-win. But seriously, mindfulness meditation.
Gold: 6.66
Jun 13 2018 09:22am
Quote (Balla @ Jun 12 2018 11:05pm)
Meditation is best. Srs.

Also drugs. Some cannabis at night to relax is unbeatable. A one time psychedelic trip can also do wonders for perspective and mental health. Both of these choices also obviate your apprehension toward addiction, so win-win. But seriously, mindfulness meditation.

Ehhh... not drugs if you're having mental health issues. Cannabis exacerbates anxiety, depression and psychotic-spectrum symptoms. There is limited evidence for the therapeutic potential of psilocybin but it's absolutely necessary to have a controlled, professional environment. People get bad trips which can precipitate more serious mental illnesses.

Meditation, breathing exercises and mindfulness are pretty safe and their efficacy is somewhat demonstrated, that's pretty good advice.
Gold: 1,803.00
Jun 13 2018 08:49pm
Back to the basics. Get addicted to a new video game
Jun 16 2018 10:28am
Long post, but worth it OP.

I've found to not be much of a fan of traditional tv or video games, I feel as if it can just suck time out if your day or schedule and hamper you from gaining in other ways. Not saying you can't do these things ever but they really are time suckers with little value other than just making you temporarily numb while using them. I avoid them typically these days. It's amazing how much more time you can have in a day to devote to other things if you avoid them. Actually, they have a very hard time just holding my interest these days compared to what they once did after moving onto other things.

The tv and YouTube videos I do watch are largely educational, in some way, whether that be with hobbies, questioning my beliefs/intellect, or in other ways.

For me, I love podcasts, and reading (mostly about hobbies or self-improvement). Learn about yourself in the process, what you're good at, what your faults are, improve on it and be aware of what they are. We all have quirks and faults.

I like learning. I find that I'm rarely ever stressed out, and if I am, i often bounce back quickly.

Further, being passionate about hobbies will help.
Meditating, or more specifically just asking yourself quality questions about your values and your life envisions.

These things helped me out immensely after I had some career curveball thrown my way, was a difficult time. I stopped working out, lost employment, stopped going on dates(i was just getting back out there after things fell through with a woman that i really liked), had to move back in with my parents, etc. Generally always knew what I wanted in life, had solid goals with plans on how to get there, but it all flipped on me and I really had to reinvent myself in some ways. I just stopped with everything, questioned everything. How I spent my time, what I wanted out of life, what kind of people I wanted to be around in life, what my new goals would be, new plans, etc.

However, overall I was always pretty positive and happy, despite how limited that time period was for me to be able to do more. I actually feel like I felt some of my most personal growth from that period. My current lifestyle is on a solid path to being far better, with a far better plan than it ever has been before. So I'm kind of glad that situation occurred. I thought I was strong before all of that occurred but after that, I feel even stronger. Strength grows through struggle.

Add on top of that, regular healthy eating and exercise.
I feel as if you'll be impossible to diminish.

Here's a quote that resonated with me during that time frame and it speaks absolute truth.

"In life and in relationships, sometimes things happen that you totally did not expect. It is not the things that happen to us that are necessarily unsettling, but the meaning we give them. The older we get and the more life experience we have, the better we tend to become at dealing with shocking news, lovers throwing us a curveball we did not expect, etc. Knowing oneself and learning to not come unglued, but instead remain centered and focused on our goals, dreams and outcomes is the key to weathering the storms of life without losing hope, our relationships or our happiness. Sometimes you will give your best, and it still will not be enough. Give your best anyway." ~ Coach Corey Wayne

This post was edited by GLYC123 on Jun 16 2018 10:45am
Gold: 10,057.12
Warn: 50%
Jun 16 2018 03:11pm
Quote (GLYC123 @ Jun 16 2018 11:28am)
Long post, but worth it OP.

I've found to not be much of a fan of traditional tv or video games, I feel as if it can just suck time out if your day or schedule and hamper you from gaining in other ways. Not saying you can't do these things ever but they really are time suckers with little value other than just making you temporarily numb while using them. I avoid them typically these days. It's amazing how much more time you can have in a day to devote to other things if you avoid them. Actually, they have a very hard time just holding my interest these days compared to what they once did after moving onto other things.

The tv and YouTube videos I do watch are largely educational, in some way, whether that be with hobbies, questioning my beliefs/intellect, or in other ways.

For me, I love podcasts, and reading (mostly about hobbies or self-improvement). Learn about yourself in the process, what you're good at, what your faults are, improve on it and be aware of what they are. We all have quirks and faults.

I like learning. I find that I'm rarely ever stressed out, and if I am, i often bounce back quickly.

Further, being passionate about hobbies will help.
Meditating, or more specifically just asking yourself quality questions about your values and your life envisions.

These things helped me out immensely after I had some career curveball thrown my way, was a difficult time. I stopped working out, lost employment, stopped going on dates(i was just getting back out there after things fell through with a woman that i really liked), had to move back in with my parents, etc. Generally always knew what I wanted in life, had solid goals with plans on how to get there, but it all flipped on me and I really had to reinvent myself in some ways. I just stopped with everything, questioned everything. How I spent my time, what I wanted out of life, what kind of people I wanted to be around in life, what my new goals would be, new plans, etc.

However, overall I was always pretty positive and happy, despite how limited that time period was for me to be able to do more. I actually feel like I felt some of my most personal growth from that period. My current lifestyle is on a solid path to being far better, with a far better plan than it ever has been before. So I'm kind of glad that situation occurred. I thought I was strong before all of that occurred but after that, I feel even stronger. Strength grows through struggle.

Add on top of that, regular healthy eating and exercise.
I feel as if you'll be impossible to diminish.

Here's a quote that resonated with me during that time frame and it speaks absolute truth.

"In life and in relationships, sometimes things happen that you totally did not expect. It is not the things that happen to us that are necessarily unsettling, but the meaning we give them. The older we get and the more life experience we have, the better we tend to become at dealing with shocking news, lovers throwing us a curveball we did not expect, etc. Knowing oneself and learning to not come unglued, but instead remain centered and focused on our goals, dreams and outcomes is the key to weathering the storms of life without losing hope, our relationships or our happiness. Sometimes you will give your best, and it still will not be enough. Give your best anyway." ~ Coach Corey Wayne

lol
Jun 16 2018 04:45pm
Tldr version: Focus on your goals and hobbies. Give yourself the permission to fuck up, but do learn from it.

Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll