d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Has Anyone Built A Custom Google Maps App?
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 515.00
Jun 7 2018 12:14am
I was wondering if the Google maps app was easily customizable/if you can hook into their databases. I see from the developer page that there's various api for direction, travel distance etc.. How hard is it to customize Google maps for unique routes (if even possible) I.e.:
-Making a route with charging stations for electric vehicles every x distance
-Excluding any roads with construction (maybe you have a super low car that will bottom out get body damage)
-Custom routes that include points of interest linked from another database that might include a minimum distance or time between - i.e. bathrooms for people with ibs

The possible customization is really very wide if you think about it, I'm just wondering what kind of access to their tech Google will let you access to create a GPS app and how difficult it is to implement.

I have an idea for one I want to make for myself (tiny, tiny segment of people would find it useful so I'd have to learn the relevant languages/tech etc. and make it myself) but if it's not easy to hook into Google maps that's a whole nother mountain to climb first that I probably won't for years.

Do they let people do it? I know from being in uber their GPS is garbage, I dunno why they dont just use google's unless it's not allowed commercially (or costs?) Or not allowed at all.

Thanks
Gold: 152.00
Jun 7 2018 06:38am
Uber did use google maps originally, then switched to MapBox.

I'm also pretty sure they switched back to google again after they simplified their features on google map

Theres also reports of them buying different mapping companies to build their own map solution for the future.

Google currently takes into count construction or detours and gives you an alternative route, I'm not sure about speed bumps tho since it wouldn't be beneficial for them to add and probably cost more for them to implement

I remember having a client ask for something similar to this, but they wanted to map where police checkpoints were on a map, which would require information from a 3rd party, and the only place that really did this around me was a public facebook page where people reported checkpoints.

So in theory it would pull the address where a checkpoint was spotted and place it on the map. There were lots of flaws with this tho, such as:
  • Not knowing when the checkpoint had finished
  • If the address given was accurate (since anyone can submit a checkpoint)
  • Not every checkpoint would be reported
  • Using facebooks feed to update an app is super inefficient

I would take a look at another open source mapping company, since googles terms of service would probably conflict with what you're wanting to do.

Do they let people do it? I know from being in uber their GPS is garbage, I dunno why they dont just use google's unless it's not allowed commercially (or costs?) Or not allowed at all.

Its not against their terms of service to use their api for navigation. It becomes a legal matter when you build your own API using theirs, to create a competing service

This post was edited by Strickland on Jun 7 2018 06:39am
Gold: 0.00
Jun 7 2018 06:59am
Quote (MnG @ Jun 7 2018 07:14am)
if you can hook into their databases

You have no access to their database. You can interact with it in certain ways via their API. However, I suspect that there are specific terms governing the usage.

Quote (MnG @ Jun 7 2018 07:14am)
-Making a route with charging stations for electric vehicles every x distance
-Excluding any roads with construction (maybe you have a super low car that will bottom out get body damage)
-Custom routes that include points of interest linked from another database that might include a minimum distance or time between - i.e. bathrooms for people with ibs

Personally I have no experience with their API so can't really answer your questions (sorry :/). Theoretically, it's all possible. My recommendation is that you carefully read through their documentation so you understand how the different APIs work and what they offer. Additionally, pay attention to how you may use their API. Good luck buddy.

This post was edited by tussilago on Jun 7 2018 06:59am
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll