d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Supreme Court Rules In Favor Of Baker
Prev1678
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 57.00
Jun 4 2018 08:33pm
Quote (Scaly @ 4 Jun 2018 21:22)
In other words - there is no meaningful difference. Got ya.

Dunno why you can't just say that instead of being so toxic.

This is why all of GC hates you you know...

the topic is the SC ruling on the bakery issue, not wolfie posting in GC or some guy jailed in the UK

dont deviate so much trash can. no wonder the house of “commons” wont bother with you.

e: reported, btw

This post was edited by excellence on Jun 4 2018 08:33pm
Gold: 0.00
Jun 4 2018 09:38pm
Quote (Beowulf @ 5 Jun 2018 02:00)
Why do you bring up gc in so many posts but refuse to research in PARD?

You seem to have got lost somewhere in this conversation. You think I'm addressing the SCotUS verdict when I ask that question?

Quote (excellence @ 5 Jun 2018 02:33)
the topic is the SC ruling on the bakery issue, not wolfie posting in GC or some guy jailed in the UK

dont deviate so much trash can. no wonder the house of “commons” wont bother with you.

e: reported, btw

Fuck the commons. Why join the plebs when all I have to do is outlive about 30 family members to become a Lord?

This post was edited by Scaly on Jun 4 2018 09:39pm
Gold: 3,260.00
Jun 5 2018 05:04am
The SCOTUS case really only focused on the fact that the Colorado Commission was overtly hostile to the baker's religion - violating his first amendment right.

For the greater issue of baking a custom cake:

The baker did not refuse to serve the couple - they were free to buy any generic baked good from his shop - what he did was refuse to customize a cake for them, for their wedding in particular.

And for the people saying that the flowers, cake, etc aren't really part of the wedding - you are pretty far off. I worked a number of weddings when I was younger and you would be shocked at how much money people pay for cakes and flowers (some more than $25K) - and how many of the guests genuinely ask who made them. Unfortunately, if you are doing a significant part of a wedding you and your work - in this case the custom cake - are most certainly a focal point and a talking point.

I think making custom anything seems to be a form of personal expression and is therefore protected under the first amendment. Free expression means you cannot be compelled by the government to make expressions - such as designing something that you do not wish to do.

This post was edited by murder567 on Jun 5 2018 05:04am
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1678
Add Reply New Topic New Poll