d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows > Movie Club 10: Princess Mononoke > June 3 - June 16
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 102.37
Jun 11 2018 05:01pm
Quote (Blah58 @ 11 Jun 2018 23:25)
Such a good movie. The contrast between nature and man's creation of industry must have been so impactful on Miyazaki growing up in a post-ww2 Japan.

Yeah, this theme comes through in some of his movies. The Wind Rises is a prime example.

Rewatched it yesterday. For me it's one of those special movies that you can't compare to anything else. Just something that is truly unique and outstanding.
Every time I see it it strenghtens my passion in movies as a media.
I like the themes that are going on, just so much metaphors and anologys, so much room for interpretations. Humans against nature, the symbiosis between those two, how innocent people get affected/involved by war, the pure greed and lust for power shown by a few and which impact it has on many other, the balance between live and death, etc.
It's also gorgious looking with it's hand drawn animation, giving it the perfect atmosphere and realy adds to it's "magic". Studio Ghibli realy made some beautiful looking movies. It's a shame that everything has to be digital animated nowadays. I mean it doesn't look bad and technology has come a long way but it's just not the same.
The Soundtrack by Joe Hisaishi is also great and perfectly fitting with the scenes.

There are only a handfull of movies that gave me this kind of an experience. I am realy glad that someone like Hayao Miyazaki gave us such incredible movies. Realy looking forward to his "last" one.
Gold: 250.00
Warn: 10%
Jun 11 2018 07:32pm
Quote (ChuzzeL @ Jun 11 2018 04:01pm)
Yeah, this theme comes through in some of his movies. The Wind Rises is a prime example.

Rewatched it yesterday. For me it's one of those special movies that you can't compare to anything else. Just something that is truly unique and outstanding.
Every time I see it it strenghtens my passion in movies as a media.
I like the themes that are going on, just so much metaphors and anologys, so much room for interpretations. Humans against nature, the symbiosis between those two, how innocent people get affected/involved by war, the pure greed and lust for power shown by a few and which impact it has on many other, the balance between live and death, etc.
It's also gorgious looking with it's hand drawn animation, giving it the perfect atmosphere and realy adds to it's "magic". Studio Ghibli realy made some beautiful looking movies. It's a shame that everything has to be digital animated nowadays. I mean it doesn't look bad and technology has come a long way but it's just not the same.
The Soundtrack by Joe Hisaishi is also great and perfectly fitting with the scenes.

There are only a handfull of movies that gave me this kind of an experience. I am realy glad that someone like Hayao Miyazaki gave us such incredible movies. Realy looking forward to his "last" one.

Agree on all counts. It's impossible for me to choose my favorite Miyazaki movie. Based on my mood, age and overall experiences in life it changes frequently. Princess Monoke, Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, and NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind; have all at one point or another been my favorite. Each of them are just so perfect in their own unique ways, and of course his other movies are wonderful too, but these are my favorites. I do wish a Howl's Moving Castle more in-line with the source material would be done at some point in my life, but Miyazaki truly made it his own and it's rare that I see a movie changed this much from the source material and still love it. I watched many of these as a kid, and it was funny coming back and recognizing the voices of some of my favorite actors and realizing that these big hollywood stars signed up to do the English dub for Miyazaki just because they know how amazing he is and how amazing his movies are going to be.

e: I re-watched this, Howl's, and SA over the past two weeks. Once I start watching any of his movies, I'm forced to work my way through at least a few more of them in a short period of time, regardless of how limited my schedule it. Great pick OP.

This post was edited by jadeoshbogosh on Jun 11 2018 07:34pm
Gold: 150.00
Warn: 50%
Jun 11 2018 11:03pm
ign mononoke

I will never watch this movie simply for that reason
Gold: 92.71
Jun 11 2018 11:10pm
Quote (DefinitelyNotKimmy @ Jun 12 2018 01:03am)
ign mononoke

Shit who was that
Gold: 10,025.00
Jun 11 2018 11:40pm
Quote (DefinitelyNotKimmy @ Jun 11 2018 10:03pm)
ign mononoke

Will never watch one of the best animated movies ever made cuz of some random bullshit that no one even know what you're talking about.

Sounds about right for you.
Jun 12 2018 12:24am
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ 12 Jun 2018 02:32)
Agree on all counts. It's impossible for me to choose my favorite Miyazaki movie. Based on my mood, age and overall experiences in life it changes frequently. Princess Monoke, Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, and NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind; have all at one point or another been my favorite. Each of them are just so perfect in their own unique ways, and of course his other movies are wonderful too, but these are my favorites. I do wish a Howl's Moving Castle more in-line with the source material would be done at some point in my life, but Miyazaki truly made it his own and it's rare that I see a movie changed this much from the source material and still love it. I watched many of these as a kid, and it was funny coming back and recognizing the voices of some of my favorite actors and realizing that these big hollywood stars signed up to do the English dub for Miyazaki just because they know how amazing he is and how amazing his movies are going to be.

e: I re-watched this, Howl's, and SA over the past two weeks. Once I start watching any of his movies, I'm forced to work my way through at least a few more of them in a short period of time, regardless of how limited my schedule it. Great pick OP.

I enjoy all of them but Mononoke always stood out to me.
I guess I started with Chihiro but was confused at my first viewing. I did not know what to think of it, all those fantasy elements were just new to me . My second Ghibli Movie was Mononoke and it totally blew me away.
Nowadays I just love all of them, rewatching every movie constantly. Even had the pleasure to see The Wind Rises at the theatre.
Also like his movies aimed at younger audiences like Totoro, Ponyo and Kikis Delivery Service. Just heartwarming and uplifiting every time I see them.

There are a few other Ghibli Movies that come realy close to the work of Miyazaki in terms of quality.
I realy enjoyed Arrietty, The Grave of the Fireflies, Princess Kaguya and From Up On Poppy Hill.

The worst one would probably be Tales from Earthsea. It looks great but it lacks heart and substance. It's a shame that Miyazakis son doesn't have the talent of his father.

This post was edited by ChuzzeL on Jun 12 2018 12:25am
Gold: 15.00
Jun 12 2018 03:18am
Spirited Away > this
both good tho
Jun 12 2018 04:04am
Quote (CiroC @ 12 Jun 2018 10:18)
Spirited Away > this
both good tho

I always mix up the English and German tittles for foreign movies. By Chihiro I meant Spirited Away ofc.

Seems like everyone has seen it already, and here I thought I would recommend something that wasn't known by everyone ^^
Next time I try to pick something more exotic.
Gold: 92.71
Jun 12 2018 06:40am
Quote (Blah58 @ Jun 12 2018 01:40am)
Will never watch one of the best animated movies ever made cuz of some random bullshit that no one even know what you're talking about.

triggered, as usual
Gold: 150.00
Jun 12 2018 10:07am
Quote (Blah58 @ Jun 12 2018 03:40pm)

How miserable are you on a scale of 1 to 10?

Like you actually get upset when people hijack your threads?

That seems like an 8 or 9 to me
Go Back To Movies & TV Shows Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll