d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Low Disk Space Help
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 22,159.00
May 30 2018 01:29am
Hi All i have been getting a pop up about "low disk space" all of the forums/help guides and youtube videos show that in the regedit command box they have "explorer" so the help guides say to do the following below

To disable these balloon messages follow the steps below:

1. Open the Registry Editor by clicking on Start -> Run and running REGEDIT.
2. Navigate to the following location:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
3. Right-click in the blank area of the right-hand pane of the Registry Editor and create a new DWORD Value by selecting New -> DWORD Value.
4. Name this new DWORD Value NoLowDiskSpaceChecks
5. Double-click on the new DWORD value and assign it a value of 1.
6. Close the Registry Editor and restart the computer.

i do not have "Explorer" as an option and i can't seem to find any other way of turning this offer.
Any ideas ? any help would be appreciated.
Gold: 10,655.00
May 30 2018 05:40am

All that will do is remove the warning. That won't help. When the disk gets just a bit more full, it will start affecting Windows.

You need to remove some of the stuff that's taking up space. You can start by setting the maximum and minimum sizes of your page file to the same number. Like 2048 MB.
There is a free program called WinDirStat, which will give you a schematic of all the stuff on your HDD. You can use this to sort thru everything and find out what you don't need.

You either need to remove a lot of stuff that's on the HDD or get a storage drive. Because in a very short time your comp will become unusable.
Gold: 0.00
May 30 2018 10:43am
What drive is it throwing errors about being full? I've seen issues where a Windows backup to a recovery partition would cause that error for the recovery drive, and I've also seen recent issues where Dell computers will have a drive letter assigned to the OEM partition after an upgrade to the new 1803 build of Windows 10.
Gold: 22,159.00
Jun 1 2018 02:19pm
Sorry i haven't responded been busy with work

so E drive doesn't actually have anything at all in it? i go into it and i cannot see anything ?
Gold: 0.00
Jun 1 2018 02:27pm
Quote (ZEALand @ Jun 1 2018 03:19pm)
Sorry i haven't responded been busy with work

http://i68.tinypic.com/6rn79g.png

so E drive doesn't actually have anything at all in it? i go into it and i cannot see anything ?

E: is an OEM partition, like I mentioned above, and has hidden files reserved for use by the system. To fix that, run Command Prompt as an Administrator, then run this command:

Code
mountvol E: /D

This command does not delete volumes, just removes the mount point that attaches a drive letter to it. More info on Mountvol can be found here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/mountvol

Your C: drive however, is also almost full. You may want to run Disk Cleanup on that drive to free up some space, or clear out the contents of %TEMP%.
Gold: 1,505.00
Jun 3 2018 01:27pm
As said above, you can unmount drive E: but it's drive C: giving you the low disk space messages. You can unmount E: in Disk Manager, just right click the E: drive, click Change driver letters and paths, and remove the assigned letter.

There are a few things you can do to free up space in C: without deleting things you may want. Open up disk clean up utility as administrator or also select "Clean up system files" on the window- you can safely select everything on the list to clean/delete. This will remove your ability to roll back Windows to a previous update if that was an option you wanted to leave open.
Next you can delete your hibernation file that you probably aren't using, open up command prompt as administrator and type "powercfg -h off" without quotes. It should open up enough space that you are in the blue and no longer get the low disk warning until you fill it up with more things.

If you have videos, pictures, and other data that doesn't require SSD speeds (assuming C: is an ssd), you should transfer it to the unused (or new) D: drive and delete from C:.
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll