d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Science, Technology & Nature > End Of Humanity? > Interesting Question On Time Travel
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 7,867.50
May 28 2018 08:00pm
After watching terminator I thought about some of the logic issues with time travel and if it would even be possible. I like to think (without any scientific evidence) at least quantum time travel is possible but macro (collection of particles) is vanishingly impossible. But nonetheless I came up with if humanity continues on forever and learns how to time travel then there is no reason we don't have 1000s of travelers. People could come from 1000 years from now or 2000, no matter what they would be here but obviously that is not true. So then I came up with two answers (girlfriend had a third) 1. Time travel backwards is impossible or 2. Humanity must go extinct before time traveling is possible 3. The universe continually splits (multiverse)

Obviously more philosophical than scientific but curious what everyone thinks? Can a species predict its eventual extinction based on there being no time travelers?
Gold: 3.37
May 28 2018 09:18pm
Only linear travel through time is possible from a 3d perspective.
Gold: 7,867.50
May 29 2018 05:03am
Yes from a 3d perspective but we live in a minimum 4d universe (substantial evidence from gravity waves as well as relativity help giving results such as the spin of a particle)
May 29 2018 05:55am
Quote (Arbiter @ May 29 2018 06:03am)
Yes from a 3d perspective but we live in a minimum 4d universe (substantial evidence from gravity waves as well as relativity help giving results such as the spin of a particle)

Yep. But we are fixed to 3d perspective with a "shadow" of 4d overlayed.

I am well versed in extradimentional maths and rhetoric.
(for a random guy online anyway)

Good stuff.

This post was edited by Ep0ch on May 29 2018 05:57am
Gold: 2.66
May 29 2018 10:57am
or maybe we are simply a simulation among many.

But lets assume that this is a base reality. Then i guess we really control our fate. And what we interpret as time travel is really something else. Because there is no time. Numbers don't exist in reality. It's just our brain assigning things in order to make reality easier to understand.

I don't think the core mechanics of reality are fully understood yet. Or maybe it has but that information is kept away.

concepts of space and time, and math are all useless. The human mind is the problem. We need another system and another interpreter of reality. Then we can see what is possible.
May 29 2018 11:56am
Start the video, and focus on the word Brainstorm (cover the word green needle with your hand if you need to) repeat this, at the start of the video, till you hear brainstorm.

Then once you do, reverse the setup, cover brainstorm, look at green needle, restart the video, and you will hear green needle.

Reality is what you want it to be.

This post was edited by Ep0ch on May 29 2018 11:59am
Gold: 2.66
May 29 2018 12:08pm
Quote (Ep0ch @ May 29 2018 01:56pm)
Start the video, and focus on the word Brainstorm (cover the word green needle with your hand if you need to) repeat this, at the start of the video, till you hear brainstorm.

Then once you do, reverse the setup, cover brainstorm, look at green needle, restart the video, and you will hear green needle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1okD66RmktA

Reality is what you want it to be.

Exactly. That is the problem.

Gold: 2,364.01
May 29 2018 01:42pm
I believe time is "movement". If there's space where nothing moves, time doesn't seem to advance (or it just doesn't manifest in any way). So to the matter of going backwards in time we would need to reverse the ongoing movement. This would need understanding of what made universe move at all. What was the moment when time started? What was before time is wrong kind of thinking since it assumes the time being started already. If we go to the beginning of time you could think of it like going towards north, so long that there's no direction to move more north and that is where it all started.
Also not sure to what scale the reverse should be done. I mean is it supposed to be done inside our solar system or entire space. What the heck would even be the means to do such :D
Maybe human has advanced to the level of such understanding and have experimented on timetravel, only to each time rewind us to stoneage. Each time they fail to "protect" themselves from it and shit starts over.

This assumes there's only one universe. There are theories of parallel etc universies.

Either way while we don't have definition for time (outside the clock) we are not in position to understand any of this. There is also possibility that whole timetravel concept will always be only inside human mind and never part of material reality. Originating from feelings of regret.

This post was edited by Crud1ty on May 29 2018 01:46pm
May 29 2018 03:29pm
Quote (Malignanttumor666 @ May 29 2018 01:08pm)
Exactly. That is the problem.

Not for me. ^_^
Gold: 1,250.69
May 29 2018 04:57pm
we all timetravel every day... it's even part of our brains...

when we remember = traveling into the past
when we consider possibilities of what will happen today before you step out your door = traveling into the future
Go Back To Science, Technology & Nature Topic List
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll