d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Activist Tommy Robinson Reportedly Jailed > ..after Filming
Prev13334353637Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: Locked
Jun 18 2018 09:18am
Quote (Plaguefear @ Jun 17 2018 10:09pm)
Murders per hundred thousand people, that is what we are comparing between the two countries.
Why would ANYTHING else be relevant?

You need a way to determine whether or not the difference is relevant. That's what I've said 3 times and you haven't suggested anything other than "uh, look at it with ur face."

Quality mathematical knowledge right here.
Gold: 0.00
Jun 18 2018 09:25am
Quote (Ghot @ 18 Jun 2018 14:58)
I'm not disagreeing with your take on the incident. I was just saying 15K Brits were.

Ok... but you mentioned that 15k people didn't like Tommy being jailed. So what's your point?
Jun 18 2018 09:28am
his point is u got triggered
Gold: 10,655.00
Jun 18 2018 09:29am
Quote (Scaly @ Jun 18 2018 11:25am)
Ok... but you mentioned that 15k people didn't like Tommy being jailed. So what's your point?

Just that. Nothing else. I said before in this topic, I don't know enough about English law to even debate this. I just think it was cool that 15K folks got together to bitch about it.
Jun 18 2018 09:30am
Quote (BardOfXiix @ 18 Jun 2018 15:18)
You need a way to determine whether or not the difference is relevant. That's what I've said 3 times and you haven't suggested anything other than "uh, look at it with ur face."

Quality mathematical knowledge right here.

Well to be fair you're basing your math on the whole world. Like I said - nobody expects the US to be as bad as most underdeveloped nations but the fact that it actually is is worthy of note. You can't just take the whole world and say that any two things that fall within the mid range are incomparable to each other. That's silly.
Jun 18 2018 09:34am
Quote (Ghot @ 18 Jun 2018 15:29)
Just that. Nothing else. I said before in this topic, I don't know enough about English law to even debate this. I just think it was cool that 15K folks got together to bitch about it.

Well there are a lot of alt-right morons out there. Their number seems to be growing. I don't think that's 'cool'. I think it's dangerous. As the election of Trump and Brexit vote have proven. Real harm can be done when enough idiots get up and vote for it.
Jun 18 2018 09:35am
Quote (Scaly @ Jun 18 2018 11:34am)
Well there are a lot of alt-right morons out there. Their number seems to be growing. I don't think that's 'cool'. I think it's dangerous. As the election of Trump and Brexit vote have proven. Real harm can be done when enough idiots get up and vote for it.

Either that or times are changing.

On a visceral level this vid is what I think of when I read about muslim migration...

I think those that are anti-muslim migration are not too off the mark. Yeah, I know this isn't exactly what we were discussing.

This post was edited by Ghot on Jun 18 2018 09:40am
Jun 18 2018 09:43am
Quote (Ghot @ 18 Jun 2018 15:35)
Either that or times are changing.

That is essentially what I just said mate.

Times are changing. People either don't care about or don't know how to find out the truth about incidents. I blame the internet tbh. The abundance of information that makes it apparently difficult for some people to distinguish facts from opinions and lies.

My housemate is a fun example - he once said to me 'anyone can write anything on the internet so how can you say what you read is true?'. I imagine a lot of people feel this way and so attach themselves dogmatically to an ideology or culture and simply go along with whatever narrative is being pushed by that group. Because that's 'their truth'. Especially with the extreme distrust of established experts being pushed by the right. Why would a right wing guy believe the conclusions of a left wing academic's research? He certainly isn't going to take the time to read it and see the evidence for himself so to him it's just more left-wing propaganda.

If times are changing they are changing for the worse. Moving toward anti-intellectualism, science denial and ideological fanaticism.
Jun 18 2018 09:54am
Quote (Scaly @ Jun 18 2018 11:43am)
That is essentially what I just said mate.

Times are changing. People either don't care about or don't know how to find out the truth about incidents. I blame the internet tbh. The abundance of information that makes it apparently difficult for some people to distinguish facts from opinions and lies.

My housemate is a fun example - he once said to me 'anyone can write anything on the internet so how can you say what you read is true?'. I imagine a lot of people feel this way and so attach themselves dogmatically to an ideology or culture and simply go along with whatever narrative is being pushed by that group. Because that's 'their truth'. Especially with the extreme distrust of established experts being pushed by the right. Why would a right wing guy believe the conclusions of a left wing academic's research? He certainly isn't going to take the time to read it and see the evidence for himself so to him it's just more left-wing propaganda.

If times are changing they are changing for the worse. Moving toward anti-intellectualism, science denial and ideological fanaticism.

Yeah, the internet does have that effect. However, I think that in the long run it will work itself out, I hope.
They said the same thing about TV at one time.

I think once everyone on the planet has the internet for a solid 5-10 year span...they will arrive at the same conclusion your friend did. Once the novelty wears off.
In first world countries, ofc, the novelty is already wearing off. Which is why you don't really see tons of adults, running around and going nuts cause of something on the internet.

It's mostly the younger folks that seem to be doing this.

I mean IMO, it won't be long before you can't trust Wikipedia even a little bit. Think of the TV media and all the accusations of fake news. The fake news thing is pretty new.
People will learn to do what they always have...take w/e information they can find, and arrive at their own conclusions, after giving it serious thought.

I mean we have generations of folks that are welded to w/e the newspaper tells them. Or w/e they see on their favorite channel.

I remember back in the days just after color TV became fairly common, and the Kent State riots, where a lot of college kids got killed. The news of that, had the country (US) up in arms big time. Now though, everyone has learned that college kids are always flipping out about anything and everything. We've learned to be more relaxed when they go haywire.
Gold: Locked
Jun 18 2018 10:12am
Quote (Scaly @ Jun 18 2018 08:30am)
Well to be fair you're basing your math on the whole world. Like I said - nobody expects the US to be as bad as most underdeveloped nations but the fact that it actually is is worthy of note. You can't just take the whole world and say that any two things that fall within the mid range are incomparable to each other. That's silly.

Propose better criteria then. It's almost as if I did a very open ended-simplistic model to invite criticism and start an actual conversation with facts, figures, and math, instead of just unsubstantiated dick-waving.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev13334353637Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll