d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Vegan Issues Megathread
12316Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,489.69
May 22 2018 11:36am
It seems that issues revolving around veganism, factory farming and other related issues are coming up often, and may be worth a thread.

Today at an install at a meat factory we had a protester group out front. Now normally I don't engage with anyone who has such an upfront confrontational attitude, but I had to wait on a contractor to show up and their wifi wasn't set up. So I waded out to the picket line for kicks.

When I asked one vegan to talk I was immediately jumped on by 4-5. So I said right away, if they just want to yell I can go back inside (they can't go on private property). they sneered but stopped talking over one another. I asked them what their driving philosophy was for veganism, and they stated to reduce the number of animals that are killed for our food consumption. Before proceeding I clarrified a few things. conversation paraphrased went like this

"Insects, what about those" - Me

- Their life-cycle is often around a day. and they don't have high functioning cognition. we try to avoid this but accept some insect killoff as a consequence of reducing harm to larger more intelligent animals that can feel suffering more.

"But you're ok with pesticides being used to make soybeans to create tofu" - Me

-No that is not ok.

"what percent of farmers making soybeans do you think don't use any insecticides" - Me

-we're not sure

(me holding back laughter now)

"you ever been to a cornfield or beanfield on the day they harvest" - Me

-no, why?

"vultures, hawks, eagles, all sorts of birds of prey come from miles around" - Me

-wait, why?

"Usually you kill a few hundred small animals a day while harvesting. Mice, Rabbits, squirrels, badgers, birds, etc" - Me

(me laughing externally and walking back inside when they called me a liar)

I'm all for cutting down insecticides, all for better harvesters, etc. I just think it's hilarious how many vegans are clueless about the animals that die to create that pound of soy they eat or the vegetables they consume.

Personally I am inching towards 50%+ of all my food being produced on my land, with another large chunk being beef farmed in my family. If I can get my wife to stop eating dry cereal 24/7 I might be able to get to 75%+

This post was edited by thesnipa on May 22 2018 11:38am
Gold: 260.11
May 22 2018 11:41am
Yeah they're clueless but its still a reduction in harm to more intelligent life.

Takes more harvesters to make a pound of beef than a pound of soy.
Gold: Locked
May 22 2018 11:43am
Wow you are so cool flexing on those vegans. I bet after you went and banged 3 supermodels and then played Fortnite with Drake.
Gold: 119,903.34
May 22 2018 11:46am
I stop eating meat for some months and it made me feel like shit.

I've given up red meat though for the most part. Only eat red meat if it's free.

On the topic of insects, if humans were willing to live off insects, we could solve a lot of problems.

This post was edited by sir_lance_bb on May 22 2018 11:47am
Gold: 17,384.69
May 22 2018 11:52am
Considering the quantity vegans are eating they are doing it pretty much better for the planet than meat fans...

Btw below the m² required to feed animals, to produce only -1- kilo (2 pounds) of meat

1 & 2 => beef
3 => fish
4 => pork
5 => chicken
6 => egg

below is rice & pasta / bread / and ... vegetables ... ! NO WAY LOL.

Personally im going for chicken & eggs

So for sure beef is a nice fucking fail.

This post was edited by Saucisson6000 on May 22 2018 11:54am
Gold: 10,655.00
May 22 2018 12:10pm
The problem is NOT which foods we eat. The problem is overpopulation.
No matter which diet the human race decides to use, there will come a time when the number of humans overruns the amount of w/e food is produced.

Look at Saucy's chart, even if we ate nothing but legumes, sooner or later the population would make even that diet unworkable.
Some may say that it's better to have that extra time to find something better than legumes. It isn't. We need to get a handle on over breeding... yesterday.

/e For my entire life I've seen people put the blame for various things on everything BUT overpopulation. When will we learn.

This post was edited by Ghot on May 22 2018 12:14pm
Gold: 260.11
May 22 2018 12:18pm

This post was edited by Thor123422 on May 22 2018 12:18pm
Gold: 17,384.69
May 22 2018 12:19pm
Quote (Ghot @ 22 May 2018 19:10)
Look at Saucy's chart, even if we ate nothing but legumes, sooner or later the population would make even that diet unworkable.
Some may say that it's better to have that extra time to find something better than legumes. It isn't. We need to get a handle on over breeding... yesterday.
/e For my entire life I've seen people put the blame for various thing on everything BUT overpopulation. When will we learn.

On the chart it's more than 50 times less ressources used if eating vegetables instead of beef...
In waiting your overpopulation get resolved by a global nuclear winter.: if would suggest to change for an nice diet

and the winner is ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_meat_consumption

INDIA get my congratulations. Calculation goes easy

120[meat] x 326[population] => 39k "units" consumed for usa
5[meat] x 1324[population] => 6.6k "units" consumed for india

So overpopulation or simple ignorance and stupidity ?

By far and easy. Again.

This post was edited by Saucisson6000 on May 22 2018 12:26pm
Gold: 2,489.69
May 22 2018 12:22pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ May 22 2018 11:41am)
Yeah they're clueless but its still a reduction in harm to more intelligent life.

Takes more harvesters to make a pound of beef than a pound of soy.

Maybe in most cases. I honestly think it's closer than most people think however. And i think it's actually more death to animals to produce a pound of tofu than a pount of pasture grazed beef.

for a run of the mill cow that eats harvester cut grass you're killing animals in the field to kill animals in the meat plant.

but for pasture grazed you have 1 cow that dies, but provides hundreds or thousands of pounds of meat. to make that same amount of tofu in a field you kill several animals. i dont have a reason to value a cow over a rabbit, if anything the rabbit is smarter.

Quote (BardOfXiix @ May 22 2018 11:43am)
Wow you are so cool flexing on those vegans. I bet after you went and banged 3 supermodels and then played Fortnite with Drake.

actually i banged 3 supermodels AND drake, then played pubg like a real man.

Quote (sir_lance_bb @ May 22 2018 11:46am)
I stop eating meat for some months and it made me feel like shit.

I've given up red meat though for the most part. Only eat red meat if it's free.

On the topic of insects, if humans were willing to live off insects, we could solve a lot of problems.

cricket products are badass, and something i hope more vegans consider an option.

This post was edited by thesnipa on May 22 2018 12:22pm
Gold: 10,655.00
May 22 2018 12:22pm

Again, the problem is not what we eat, the problem is we make too many babies.
As long as we keep making too many babies, no diet solution will be permanent. Sooner or later we will have to start eating each other.

The ONLY way to prevent this is to stop over breeding. Or have a lot of really serious wars.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
12316Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll