d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Other Games > Consoles > Sony >
Poll > Need Help Choosing My Next Game
Prev1234567Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 28,047.41
May 9 2018 05:27pm
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ May 9 2018 01:38pm)
Trust me! I know how unpopular these opinions of mine are, but I call it like I see it.

Popular genre of game starts gaining heavy traction and multiple companies work on pushing something similar out on the front-line to get in on the hype/fad train. LoL+Fort are the exact same in that they pushed out a game that has simpler design, gameplay, and graphics that feel like it's made for kids/teens. This free, lighter and simpler version of a popular new genre picks up LOADS of attention and quickly becomes the most popular game in the world while from a pure gamepoint perspective, the most popular game has recently been the lesser of the games of that genre.

DOTA2 has remained superior to LoL in almost every single way, including having a more intense competitive scene, but LoL has a larger user base. It's great if you enjoy those games, and they're widely popular for a reason, but if I'm going to play an online game of a certain genre, I'm usually going to play the best one. That being said, neither the MOBA or BR genre is particularly appealing to me. Both are a bit too slow (especially MOBAs) and drawn-out for me to fully enjoy. With the exception of RTS games, I'd rather play an online game with matches that last 5-10 minutes. I believe fortnite is a quicker than PUBG, but both are boring, clunky and slow to me compared to FPS games. Just my personal opinion, and like I said, there's nothing wrong with liking any of the aforementioned titles, they're just not for me, and I think it's safe to call them fad games since they both have followed the exact same trend while being imo (and the opinion of a lot of other insane purist like myself), inferior to similar games that came before them or out around the same time.

Fads can and do sometimes last a long time. It's not a great game and the popularity and attention it's gotten for being a dumbed down, and kid-friendly version of DOTA is a bad joke. I still can't believe how many people I know that spent countless hours playing an inferior game just because the internet told them it was popular. Just one man's opinion I suppose, but I think time, the killer of all fads, will eventually agree with me. I could be wrong about fortnite, it's still too early to tell, but it's just too similar to LoL for me to not make the same comparisons and have similar feelings.

e: As far as OW goes, the other titles have sustained popularity, and while OW is still "active", it shot up as one of the most played games in the world in just a few months, but their numbers have since dropped a lot and their popularity is weaning, hence the label of a fad. That's how most fads go, they come in hot and burn-out hard after a few months to a year. Look at Pokemon Go for Gods sake, No Man's Sky lol. So many examples of hype trains, fads, that ended up being useless and they looked useless from the beginning but people still bought into net hype against all logic and reason. All you gotta do is build the hype and then it doesn't matter what you put out, you can be on top of the world for a few months to a year, and if you actually manage to put out a playable game, you can stay up near the top for a decade. People determine how good games are based on their popularity these days, and almost all of that is just bullshit. I preferred when games were popular because they're the best thing out there, or because they challenged the competitive scene and made them fucking work for it.

There are multiple wrong statements made in here but too lazy to really combat you any further on an opinion based argument. To say they are awful games is just ignorant and dumb. Pure opinion emotional argument blanket statement. Next Fortnite is really the only hunger game console game out at the moment and they have done the game pretty damn well, not many people know the original hunger game style that kick started, played both enjoy both . Also LoL was created by the main creators of Dota and is close to a decade old soooooo

This post was edited by 4killer7 on May 9 2018 05:28pm
Gold: 1,057.69
May 9 2018 07:00pm
Quote (4killer7 @ 9 May 2018 19:27)
There are multiple wrong statements made in here but too lazy to really combat you any further on an opinion based argument. To say they are awful games is just ignorant and dumb. Pure opinion emotional argument blanket statement. Next Fortnite is really the only hunger game console game out at the moment and they have done the game pretty damn well, not many people know the original hunger game style that kick started, played both enjoy both . Also LoL was created by the main creators of Dota and is close to a decade old soooooo

awful might be exagerated but there not great games, there fun for a while but they all appeal to the same people

all those game r easy to be good at but dont have deep mechanics so u get the feeling ur good quick and most of those people dont like other games becuz it takes more time to be good at

theres also the twitch scene that helps promote those games when they shouldnt

2 example of better games but less popular

pubg>fortnite
dota2>lol

id say quake/unreal tournament beat OW but there not been a good quake or unreal in a while so OW imo is kinda alone in his category
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 10%
May 9 2018 08:32pm
Quote (hammered_guy @ May 9 2018 08:00pm)
awful might be exagerated but there not great games, there fun for a while but they all appeal to the same people

all those game r easy to be good at but dont have deep mechanics so u get the feeling ur good quick and most of those people dont like other games becuz it takes more time to be good at

pubg>fortnite
dota2>lol

id say quake/unreal tournament beat OW but there not been a good quake or unreal in a while so OW imo is kinda alone in his category

How can you compare OW to a classic FPS style game such as Quake/Unreal? Completely different playstyles.
Gold: 250.00
May 10 2018 12:13am
Quote (hammered_guy @ May 9 2018 06:00pm)

pubg>fortnite
dota2>lol

Couldn't have said the first part better. Those were the two exact games that came to mind.

I disagree for the most part with the OW statement. It has similarities to TF2, but not really to unreal or quake, if you're just throwing in all shooters, you might as well say Halo or CS is what makes it worse. I just dislike everything about it. The style, the gameplay, how it feels, the fact that it play like the other kiddie/dumbed down games made and marketed for mass appeal and gamers who want the instant gratification of being "good" at a game after playing for a day. It's boring, easy, and I just thought it was another example of a company catering to the masses vs trying to make a truly great new game.

Staff members who couldn't cut it somewhere leaving and then making a shittier version of a game with kiddie graphics and mass appeal by dumbing down the game to the point where any 7 year old can play it is not a good thing..... Once again, popularity equals greatness to most gamers these days, not a sentiment I'll ever share in my lifetime, but it's just absolutely fucking absurd that LoL has done as well as it has, for as long as it has, while being just a shitty knockoff version of the original. If you're going to leave a studio and make a game in the exact same genre, you should be improving on it... but nope, rev up the hype train and fuck everything else since hype is all that matters to make a game "good" by the majority of the gaming communities standards.

This post was edited by jadeoshbogosh on May 10 2018 12:16am
Gold: 28,047.41
May 10 2018 05:54am
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ May 10 2018 01:13am)
Couldn't have said the first part better. Those were the two exact games that came to mind.

I disagree for the most part with the OW statement. It has similarities to TF2, but not really to unreal or quake, if you're just throwing in all shooters, you might as well say Halo or CS is what makes it worse. I just dislike everything about it. The style, the gameplay, how it feels, the fact that it play like the other kiddie/dumbed down games made and marketed for mass appeal and gamers who want the instant gratification of being "good" at a game after playing for a day. It's boring, easy, and I just thought it was another example of a company catering to the masses vs trying to make a truly great new game.

Staff members who couldn't cut it somewhere leaving and then making a shittier version of a game with kiddie graphics and mass appeal by dumbing down the game to the point where any 7 year old can play it is not a good thing..... Once again, popularity equals greatness to most gamers these days, not a sentiment I'll ever share in my lifetime, but it's just absolutely fucking absurd that LoL has done as well as it has, for as long as it has, while being just a shitty knockoff version of the original. If you're going to leave a studio and make a game in the exact same genre, you should be improving on it... but nope, rev up the hype train and fuck everything else since hype is all that matters to make a game "good" by the majority of the gaming communities standards.

I love seeing your rebuttal because it's always the same thing and always still such an ignorant statement. I can agree fortnite is easy to pick up and play but hard to win it all. But LoL and OW being easy? I'd love to see you get to masters + and telling me it's easy to play with those players. You're just saying it's easy, but I can tell you never played against any of the high level players, so I can't get behind your pointless argument knowing you've never played it. That's like saying smash brothers is easy because I can beat most players at it, must be an easy and awful game right? Also did you say the LoL creators couldn't cut it in Dota?? Lmaoooo they were the reason it was a game in the first time place they simply said they wanted a new lore and introduce different mechanics than what Dota is capable of doing which is why they left....

Next hammer all of your examples being "better" games is again a matter of opinion. Is Dota better than LOL? Don't know, played both and both have ups and downs. As for pubg it's a completely unfinished game that is way tooo glitchy. Sure maybe it's "harder" but being a more difficult game does not make it a better one. Fortnite is far away more smooth to play / better hit reg / more strategical / less of a camp fest so faster pace. It's a more complete game by far so you're only argument is it being more difficult is kind of a dumb one.
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
May 10 2018 06:07am
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ May 10 2018 01:13am)

Awaiting a master placement in OW since it's so easy.
Gold: 9,280.04
May 10 2018 04:56pm
Quote (hammered_guy @ May 9 2018 09:00pm)

pubg>fortnite
dota2>lol

When those same people they appeal to make up the largest portion of all of gamers i think they're probably content with it. Very few games can attract nearly everyone on a platform, and the ones that do are never multiplayer focused games and therefore have limited life cycles

They are in the market that will bring them in the most money over their game's life cycle, so why would they try to change what their game is to try and bring in more people? Even if it worked it would give them less total money
May 11 2018 02:35am
Quote (Lvl_1_Cactuar @ May 10 2018 05:07am)
Awaiting a master placement in OW since it's so easy.

Would require me to actually put a large amount of time into the game, something I would never be willing to do for a game I find to be terrible.... I can usually get into the highest rank of any game I put time into, the one exception being SC (Maybe traditional fighting games too, haven't tried though). I'm simply not good enough to master such a complex game, and I've accepted that. I could memorize a couple cheesey builds and push my way into masters, but I'd know it's a bullshit rank that I don't deserve and what's the point of that?

Quote (4killer7 @ May 10 2018 04:54am)
I love seeing your rebuttal because it's always the same thing and always still such an ignorant statement. I can agree fortnite is easy to pick up and play but hard to win it all. But LoL and OW being easy? I'd love to see you get to masters + and telling me it's easy to play with those players. You're just saying it's easy, but I can tell you never played against any of the high level players, so I can't get behind your pointless argument knowing you've never played it. That's like saying smash brothers is easy because I can beat most players at it, must be an easy and awful game right? Also did you say the LoL creators couldn't cut it in Dota?? Lmaoooo they were the reason it was a game in the first time place they simply said they wanted a new lore and introduce different mechanics than what Dota is capable of doing which is why they left....

Next hammer all of your examples being "better" games is again a matter of opinion. Is Dota better than LOL? Don't know, played both and both have ups and downs. As for pubg it's a completely unfinished game that is way tooo glitchy. Sure maybe it's "harder" but being a more difficult game does not make it a better one. Fortnite is far away more smooth to play / better hit reg / more strategical / less of a camp fest so faster pace. It's a more complete game by far so you're only argument is it being more difficult is kind of a dumb one.

I played a lot of DOTA back in the WC3 days and thought it was a lot of fun, but I usually would rather play something else as the slow place of MOBA games isn't something I enjoy all that much. LoL is a dumbed down version of DOTA2. Sure, both games have problems, but if you were capable of being truly objective, it wouldn't be hard for you to see all the issues it has in comparison to it's predecessor and the kiddy graphics and worst community in the history of bad communities makes it pointless to play when there's something better on the market. Saying you've played both and not being able to draw a conclusion means your opinion is purely being swayed by bias, as it's painfully obvious which is the more polished, skill-based and competitive game. The #1 argument I see made by fortnite players when challenged about their game being inferior to others already on the market, is the claim that PUBG is glitchy and unfinished. I'm just starting to think those people haven't actually played the game much... None of the glitches I've encountered have been game breaking, and with the exception of running into the occasional hacker, there's nothing about it that feels broken these days. As far as the camp heavy excuse goes, it's a BR game... They're all camp heavy to a certain degree, but it depends on how YOU play it. Spawn in to a more populated area if that's your excuse.

Throwing a fighting game into a discussion of two of the easiest genres in terms of overall skill cap is just laughable. I've played competitive smash. Smash may be one of the easier to master *fighting* games (a lot of hardcore fighter players hate it being even mentioned in the same genre), but it's still an insanely hard game to be good at, and no fighting game is easy. If you go online for ANY fighting game and you're a below average or average gamer, you're going to be in for a rough time. Same goes for RTS games. OW, Fort, LoL are different. You can be a bad gamer and do moderately well, hence the mass appeal. That doesn't mean there's no challenge at the highest possible level of the game, and I never said that there wasn't. I said they were easy, because overall, they're are. DOTA even though less popular has slaughtered LoL in the competitive scene.... why do you think that is? You think all the professional gamers are just biased and so they choose to play the lesser of the two games out of spite for LoL? Or maybe, just maybe, they see what's so obvious to me and to so many others. Fortnite looks to be heading in the same direction, it's still early on, so who knows where it'll go, but so far the comp marketability for PUBG has been leagues ahead of Fort... once again, why do you suppose that is? Things are the way they are for a reason and popularity/numbers of active users does not mean a game is good. I get that you disagree with me and that nothing I say is going to change your mind, and while it is just my opinion, I feel I'll be validated before too long as we watch what unfolds with Pub & fort on esports. LoL v Dota is just a fact as far as I'm concerned.

As far as OW goes, I just hate the game. I only played for a few hours, every match was horribly easy and boring and I was disgusted by how simple and cutsey the game was, just couldn't stand it. That's me being biased. It is a somewhat original game and with the exception of TF2, there hasn't been too much like it to compare it against. It just seemed to me like a lazy cash grab by Blizzard to combine LoL and CoD to try and cater to as wide of an audience as possible. Again, I understand that this one is me being biased and that I'm basing my opinions off nothing but my opinions, but that doesn't detract from the validity of my statements regarding the other two titles.

This post was edited by jadeoshbogosh on May 11 2018 02:35am
Gold: 0.50
May 11 2018 07:26am
Mhw was fun and a great idea, but it3s super repetitive. If you don't have people to play with single player gets quite boring
May 11 2018 10:40am
Quote (xmarksdaspot2124 @ May 11 2018 06:26am)
Mhw was fun and a great idea, but it3s super repetitive. If you don't have people to play with single player gets quite boring

This has been the conclusion I've reached. I started Wolfenstein II, and I have MHW sitting unopened by my PS, so I'll play it next, as long as something else that's better doesn't come out before I finish Wolfenstein.
Go Back To Sony Topic List
Prev1234567Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll