d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > Ladder Slasher >
Poll > A Suggestion About Element Mastery
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 7,798.12
Apr 23 2018 02:05am
I think while the addition of element masteries was a neat idea, it's not very helpful. Especially when the stat rolls on a charm. How many times does the correct element type match the right mastery type? Not very often. Cool, a fire charm with earth mastery. I think a change is needed that if an element mastery stat does spawn on an item, it should be configured to default to the proper element type. Maybe not 100% ALL the time, but it should match the element waaay more often than not.

Or just simplify them all into one, single stat. So all the element masteries would be combined into a single mod. Call it +element mastery or whatever. I can see keeping healing mastery separate I guess.
Going on more about this, say a nice Int staff or robe drops and a specific element mastery spawns. Let's say ice mastery. I cast fires, so this is useless. If it were changed to +element mastery, it would be more versatile to all elements since people cast different types.

So not only does this make more sense (in my eyes) it also removes some of the stat categories so less garbage items drop/spawn. If I counted right, there's 38 different stats that can spawn, and we all know that only EE, Dex, Int, Str are actually useful and sought after. Vit as a primary stat is useless. And I know EES gear is useful. But with how it is now, just a handful of stats are actually useful primary mods, with all the rest being helpful secondary/bonus mods.

I probably rambled on longer than I needed to. What do you guys think about this?

(I imagine something similar to this has probably been mentioned/talked about before)

This post was edited by Brainwashed on Apr 23 2018 02:22am
Gold: 358.89
Apr 23 2018 02:33am
While I agree with your post, I hope Paul takes some time to look at drops as a whole. If we want to grow the game we need to be finding more appropriate items. Why does 99% of the time, every item spawn with tier 1 stats.
Gold: 80,814.96
Apr 23 2018 06:56am
Yes and yes.

Been recommended before though. Community wants these changes, but without a single person buyin, they go no where
Gold: 1,470.74
Apr 23 2018 07:56am
Made a topic after it was introduced.

“The biggest thing that needs to be changed with them, that's the easiest, is the cap per tier needs to be at least 3x if not 4x the current amount of 2 per.

For casting it works just like int and the way it is it's not even enough for a decent glyph.
When you factor in the chance of getting the mastery you want on the item you want it's already very very minute and throw in the chance of getting the right mastery on the right item with perfect amount is even more slim.

Making it 3 or 4 per tier would at least make it useful for glyphing and increase the very slim chance of you getting it on an item of use in a useful amount.

The other alternative would be to leave it as is and make it work with the bonus heal mastery had before this addition. Which would return heal mastery to it's original strength and give more strength to the elemental mastery's adding the value and usefulness back to heal mastery and giving value to elemental mastery's.

If that was put in place would be nice to give it a bonus to defense too and it could be a relative number like if you're hit with 100 wind damage then 1% wind mastery takes off 5 or 10 of that or equal to the %.

The greatest thing about the defensive side of a per tier cap increase is that you may could eventually have a set up that would heal you back for specific elemental damage you take where like it is now it's impossible to have that.

For example currently you'd need a charm with 28% wind mastery, and armor with 28% wind mastery, a weapon with 28% wind mastery which gives you a total of 84% so on those 3 items you will need to also have Magical Damage Reduction, in some way make up the other 16% just to hit the break point of 100, but the kicker is you need over 100% in any one element for you to ever get the use of absorbing it. The effect of which is still unknown whether you will just eat that damage or would it heal you from it. And that's just plain items, think of getting perfect or close to it on items you'd actually climb with.

So for this to work at all:
- Element Mastery stats will increase the damage of that particular element, as well as increase your elemental resistance against damage taken for that element.
- Magic Damage Reduction will continue to be an "all resistance" style mod, and it stacks with the individual ones for defense purposes.
- If your effective element reduction total is over 100%, you will absorb the % amount over 100. For instance, if you have 105% fire mastery/MDR, you will absorb 5% fire damage.

Then their must be a cap increase, if not it keeps this addition useless and virtually valueless.”
Gold: 50,735.13
Warn: 30%
Apr 23 2018 09:30am
Combining them would be great but that probably would be much harder than just changing the way future items drop.

Option #1 is much more likely to happen but option 2 would be awesome.
Gold: 1,039.71
Trader: Trusted
Apr 23 2018 11:03am
option 1 or 2.

Its pointless to have a earth drop with fire mastery
Gold: 250,648.00
Apr 23 2018 11:07am
Yes please! The multiple mastery is stupid. Ive only gotten a few charms that have had the correct mastery on it and ive only seen a handful of useful charms with matching mastery. With 5x masteries its decreasing the chance of the item getting the proper main stat as well as the correct mastery. This should definitely be changed.
Gold: 7,798.12
Apr 23 2018 11:10pm
Some interesting comments/discussion going on in here. :D

If nobody else posts I'll just try bumping this topic every few days or so.
Gold: 3,256.85
Apr 25 2018 01:11pm
I'm sorry to those that suffer emotionally because their Brown charm has Blue mastery or whatever.
It is no different than rolling strength on a staff or any other undesirable combination.

Neither change will happen. Your basically asking Paul to put effort into engineering a way to remove content he created because "we want better drops"
Quote (Blizzard Games)
You think you do but you don't.

Basic economics
Better items dropping more frequently does NOT magically bring more FG into the game and make everyone rich.
Better items dropping more frequently does reduce the value of all items and all time previously spent.
Wealth is relative and the fact that you can't go out and buy or ever hope for a perfect LS item is one of the reasons why the people that still play are around whether they realize it or not.
The price difference between an item the gets you to MQ efficiently and one that costs 100 times as much is the rarity not the functionality.
Gold: 570.69
Apr 25 2018 01:18pm
Quote (HoneyBadger @ Apr 25 2018 12:11pm)
I'm sorry to those that suffer emotionally because their Brown charm has Blue mastery or whatever.
It is no different than rolling strength on a staff or any other undesirable combination.

Neither change will happen. Your basically asking Paul to put effort into engineering a way to remove content he created because "we want better drops"

Basic economics
Better items dropping more frequently does NOT magically bring more FG into the game and make everyone rich.
Better items dropping more frequently does reduce the value of all items and all time previously spent.
Wealth is relative and the fact that you can't go out and buy or ever hope for a perfect LS item is one of the reasons why the people that still play are around whether they realize it or not.
The price difference between an item the gets you to MQ efficiently and one that costs 100 times as much is the rarity not the functionality.

agreed i have a low lvl 50 ee axe i think and i was able to finish mq with out having say 200 ee on an item

Go Back To Ladder Slasher Topic List
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll