d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > What Would An American Banking Inquest Show?
Prev14567Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 7,525.35
Apr 25 2018 07:45pm
Quote (Plaguefear @ Apr 25 2018 09:41pm)
His agenda is democracy and helping the downtrodden..
The koch brothers agenda is filling their own pocket and trampling anyone who gets in their way..
It is not comparable.

its quite sad that you believe these caricatures

Quote (Plaguefear @ Apr 25 2018 09:26pm)
Soros gives most of his money away to charities, the koch's use theirs to crush small business, seems a no brainer.

meanwhile in reality they have often pushed policies that help small businesses and donated to small business advocacy groups.
Gold: 260.11
Apr 25 2018 07:45pm
Quote (cambovenzi @ Apr 25 2018 07:13pm)
ascribing saintlike motivations and traits to soros and the opposite to the kochs is a laughably unserious position.
He certainly expects to benefit and further policies and groups he funds.

nor is it worse to fund better organizations and policies simply because self interest might be involved.

Pointing out that Soros is in fact a shady megafunder of shitty leftist agendas doesn't make us big fans of the Kochs. (Nor does rolling our eyes at leftists who want to pretend there isn't a parallel there because Soros is supposedly the good guy.)

No, the fact that they sometimes fund Republicans who aren't very libertarian doesn't mean we should hate them more than soros, who funds almost exclusively anti-libertarian leftist outlets and policies in the political sphere.

There is actually a long running conflict in libertarian circles between the kochs and rothbard/the mises institute. I'm largely on the side of the latter. That doesn't mean reality has to be ignored to shield soros from criticism.

I never attributed saintlike motives to Soros. I said he donates where he does because he thinks he's doing the right thing. Then again you've never been willing to describe anybody else's position accurately.

Meanwhile, the Kochs are scumbags because they will actively donate AGAINST their own positions if it means increasing their own personal wealth.

Can you identify for me where Soros makes donations simply because he will make a profit? You guys are drawing this weird equivalence between the Kochs and Soros even though their motivations are pretty easy to discern.
Gold: 2,617.52
Apr 25 2018 07:48pm
Quote (Plaguefear @ Apr 25 2018 09:41pm)
His agenda is democracy and helping the downtrodden..
The koch brothers agenda is filling their own pockets and trampling anyone who gets in their way..
It is not comparable.

The front face of the Met museum was built by the Koch's

Youre completely delusional

This post was edited by EndlessSky on Apr 25 2018 07:48pm
Apr 25 2018 08:03pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Apr 25 2018 09:45pm)
I never attributed saintlike motives to Soros. I said he donates where he does because he thinks he's doing the right thing. Then again you've never been willing to describe anybody else's position accurately.

Meanwhile, the Kochs are scumbags because they will actively donate AGAINST their own positions if it means increasing their own personal wealth.

Can you identify for me where Soros makes donations simply because he will make a profit? You guys are drawing this weird equivalence between the Kochs and Soros even though their motivations are pretty easy to discern.

This filthy game of assuming guys on 'your side' have purely good motives and smearing libertarians and conservatives is all too common these days.
I point it out and get the usual screeching and false personal claims in return.

The kochs have plenty of initiatives that they dont expect to profit $ from.

As I was saying before, supporting terrible groups isnt a good thing just because you don't think they are directly making money from it.
Self interest is not evil.

Supporting free market and smaller government policies doesn't mean they only do so because they might make more money.
Its quite possible to have sincerely held beliefs that conflict with the anti-intellectual degeneracy of the left, despite the consistent assertions to the contrary.

Ad hominem (Latin for "to the man" or "to the person"[1]), short for argumentum ad hominem, is a fallacious argumentative strategy whereby genuine discussion of the topic at hand is avoided by instead attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, or persons associated with the argument, rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself.

Stop crying that i used the adjective 'saintlike'. What you are doing is clear.
The use of the word didn't fundamentally alter your position and tactic, and isn't evidence of your consistent and absurd assertions that i don't describe anyone's positions accurately.
Gold: 260.11
Apr 25 2018 08:09pm
Quote (cambovenzi @ Apr 25 2018 08:03pm)
This filthy game of assuming guys on 'your side' have purely good motives and smearing libertarians and conservatives is all too common these days.
I point it out and get the usual screeching and false personal claims in return.

The kochs have plenty of initiatives that they dont expect to profit $ from.

As I was saying before, supporting terrible groups isnt a good thing just because you don't think they are directly making money from it.
Self interest is not evil.

Supporting free market and smaller government policies doesn't mean they only do so because they might make more money.
Its quite possible to have sincerely held beliefs that conflict with the anti-intellectual degeneracy of the left, despite the consistent assertions to the contrary.

Stop crying that i used the adjective 'saintlike'. What you are doing is clear.
The use of the word didn't fundamentally alter your position and tactic, and isn't evidence of your consistent and absurd assertions that i don't describe anyone's positions accurately.

It actually does fundamentally change the nature of my claim since I don't necessarily think Soros is doing good or bad. But again, you're not capable of the type of thought required to understand another's position.

Yeah, the Kochs have a lot of charity work they don't expect to benefit from. I'm meaning their political donations and contributions are only to candidates that will secure them a ROI.

However it's also important to understand that charitable donations also typically make people and groups like the Kochs money. Essentially they donate something that is sellable for 5 million to a university. They then have an appraiser say it's worth 50 million, and they can recover 30% of that appraised value in taxes and make a profit. So charitable donations aren't necessarily indicative that they aren't wanting to make an ROI. It's a common tactic to actually decrease their tax burden by more than the actual value of the item.

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Apr 25 2018 08:12pm
Apr 25 2018 08:29pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Apr 25 2018 10:09pm)
It actually does fundamentally change the nature of my claim since I don't necessarily think Soros is doing good or bad. But again, you're not capable of the type of thought required to understand another's position.

More scummy false personal attacks instead of intellectual debate. You have years of practice honing this 'skill'.

Your position on their motives that i am highlighting is clear and you are squirming and insulting to avoid dealing with the merit of what i am saying.

You are very clearly feeding into a false dichotomy between the supposedly altruistic motives of soros and pretending the kochs only donate for a return.

Yeah, the Kochs have a lot of charity work they don't expect to benefit from. I'm meaning their political donations and contributions are only to candidates that will secure them a ROI.

Another claim that assumes motive and doesn't hold up to a seconds thought of examination.
They donate quite often to a number of organizations and candidates and no intelligent person would think they are going to expect to profit from each donation.

I am calling bullshit on this notion that when Soros funds leftist propaganda organizations and politicians hes doing it out of the goodness of his heart but when the kochs donate to a politician or fund an organization its only for profit.
In both cases they would prefer politicians and policies they support to succeed.

This post was edited by cambovenzi on Apr 25 2018 08:34pm
Gold: 57.00
Apr 25 2018 08:46pm
cam intellectually slapping the state subsidy recipient on a variety of issues. this place never changes
Gold: 1.93
Apr 27 2018 08:54pm
Quote (cambovenzi @ Apr 26 2018 01:29pm)
More scummy false personal attacks instead of intellectual debate. You have years of practice honing this 'skill'.

Your position on their motives that i am highlighting is clear and you are squirming and insulting to avoid dealing with the merit of what i am saying.

You are very clearly feeding into a false dichotomy between the supposedly altruistic motives of soros and pretending the kochs only donate for a return.

Another claim that assumes motive and doesn't hold up to a seconds thought of examination.
They donate quite often to a number of organizations and candidates and no intelligent person would think they are going to expect to profit from each donation.

I am calling bullshit on this notion that when Soros funds leftist propaganda organizations and politicians hes doing it out of the goodness of his heart but when the kochs donate to a politician or fund an organization its only for profit.
In both cases they would prefer politicians and policies they support to succeed.

We all know your response on every issue is left bad right good,k no point in posting anymore.
Apr 27 2018 09:16pm
Quote (Plaguefear @ Apr 27 2018 10:54pm)
We all know your response on every issue is left bad right good,k no point in posting anymore.

another embarrassing misrepresentation as an excuse to continue your dismissive anti-intellectual behavior.
Gold: 1.93
Apr 27 2018 09:22pm
Quote (cambovenzi @ Apr 28 2018 02:16pm)
another embarrassing misrepresentation as an excuse to continue your dismissive anti-intellectual behavior.

Yes, yes we got it, right good, left bad.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev14567Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll