d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > Acl Reconstruction + Oxycodone
1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 26,262.00
Apr 17 2018 11:07pm
Anyone here ever had one done, and has anyone ever taken oxy?

I know it can be addictive so I haven't touched any yet; however the pain is slightly increasing especially when I stand up and crutch myself around. I know I shouldn't be too worried about the addictive part as I've never had a problem with abusing things. Currently just toughing out the pain and hoping it gets better in a few days or so.
Gold: 361.00
Apr 17 2018 11:37pm
oxy's + md + 1 million beers is definitely not de wae you are warned

if you can handle the pain then save them for a rainy day

This post was edited by Excusemem8 on Apr 17 2018 11:41pm
Gold: 6.66
Apr 17 2018 11:53pm
The pain related to standing gets easier if you engage your foot on the operated side when walking around with crutches. Did your doctor give you some kind of compression bandages? Use them too, it's the swelling that causes the pain you describe.

How many oxys were you prescribed? Cause it's important to minimize your pain in order to be able to do the first rehab exercises with the operated leg :)

I've had one done and was given oxy to manage the pain during nighttime for the first couple days. After that I took codeine with NSAIDs to keep the pain low and do the exercises. Can't stress how important they are but I guess your doctor and physiotherapist have emphasized them too :p

This post was edited by Neptunus on Apr 18 2018 12:03am
Apr 18 2018 12:15am
Quote (Neptunus @ Apr 18 2018 12:53am)
The pain related to standing gets easier if you engage your foot on the operated side when walking around with crutches. Did your doctor give you some kind of compression bandages? Use them too, it's the swelling that causes the pain you describe.

How many oxys were you prescribed? Cause it's important to minimize your pain in order to be able to do the first rehab exercises with the operated leg :)

I've had one done and was given oxy to manage the pain during nighttime for the first couple days. After that I took codeine with NSAIDs to keep the pain low and do the exercises. Can't stress how important they are but I guess your doctor and physiotherapist have emphasized them too :p

I've been told to avoid weight bearing for 1 week post op. After I have my sutures removed he will reevaluate. I can place weight on it and walk without crutches, it's just not ideal and was told otherwise. I already went to physio on Monday and have another appt Friday. Got approximately 45 degrees flexion iirc (Physio didn't give me exact measurements, SOB)

I've been doing leg raises while laying down, 4 sets per day, 10 reps. Plus quad contractions for same rep/set. I'll be nabbing an ice machine I believe to help ice because the ice packs I have suck
Gold: 6.66
Apr 18 2018 01:50am
Quote (xrmd @ Apr 18 2018 08:15am)
I've been told to avoid weight bearing for 1 week post op. After I have my sutures removed he will reevaluate. I can place weight on it and walk without crutches, it's just not ideal and was told otherwise. I already went to physio on Monday and have another appt Friday. Got approximately 45 degrees flexion iirc (Physio didn't give me exact measurements, SOB)

I've been doing leg raises while laying down, 4 sets per day, 10 reps. Plus quad contractions for same rep/set. I'll be nabbing an ice machine I believe to help ice because the ice packs I have suck

Okay, you got an isolated ACL injury or were your menisci involved as well? In any case you should indeed primarily follow your doctors orders. By engaging the foot I meant flexing the ankle and engaging it when walking even with crutches, and while standing still you can do a pumping motion with your ankle to keep the blood flowing and ease the pain related to venous congestion.

Yeah those exercises sound about right for the first 7-14 days. Icing and elevation whenever possible is good. Try not to sleep with your knee bent but instead straighten it out whenever possible. The flexion is usually not a problem as it will recover eventually, it's the loss of extension that is more serious and that can be irreversible.

What were you doing when you tore your ACL?

Gold: 0.00
Apr 18 2018 05:20am
Taking oxycodone as prescribed postop for pain isn’t going to make you addicted “unless you have a history of addiction.”

If you 100% aren’t comfortable with taking a narc, talk to your doc to get something less addictive. It’s all about comfort and pain relief, and with situations like yours you need to stay ahead of the pain.
Gold: 11.58
Apr 19 2018 07:01am
i hate taking meds and prefer to tough it out whenever possible

that said the most surgical procedure ive had done was wisdom teeth removal

This post was edited by cloudkicker on Apr 19 2018 07:01am
Apr 19 2018 01:11pm
Quote (Neptunus @ Apr 18 2018 02:50am)
Okay, you got an isolated ACL injury or were your menisci involved as well? In any case you should indeed primarily follow your doctors orders. By engaging the foot I meant flexing the ankle and engaging it when walking even with crutches, and while standing still you can do a pumping motion with your ankle to keep the blood flowing and ease the pain related to venous congestion.

Yeah those exercises sound about right for the first 7-14 days. Icing and elevation whenever possible is good. Try not to sleep with your knee bent but instead straighten it out whenever possible. The flexion is usually not a problem as it will recover eventually, it's the loss of extension that is more serious and that can be irreversible.

What were you doing when you tore your ACL?

Originally the first doctor said it was just a small meniscus tear which Iknew was bullshit but in Canada we wait months for an MRI. Finally got one 4 months later and it showed a partial tear of the ACL and my next doctor said I did have some meniscus damage but it isn't anything of concern and should be fine.

Yeah I will start engaging my foot while on crutches. Sounds better than just doing it while I lay down. I sleep in the brace but I believe I can take it off for sleep but will wait until my follow up Tuesday to confirm. I have a soft leg brace that I'm accustomed to sleeping in which I'd prefer. I sleep with my knee partially bent at 10 degrees as that's what the brace is locked at.

I was playing soccer and guarding the ball out of the field so we could get a goal kick and this old man came behind me and swept my legs from under me. I stepped forward to catch myself and he put his weight on my back and my leg bent awkwardly inwards and popped. Knew exactly what happened as soon as I felt/heard it. Fucker didn't even apologize. Told me to get up and stop faking.
Gold: 0.00
Apr 19 2018 01:25pm
Ive taken it, after a patella tendon repair

It didnt have any effect on the pain AT ALL....

Percocets helped somewhat, morphine took all the pain away; nearly instant euphoria.

None of it was addictive, but that comes down to the individual i guess.
Apr 19 2018 01:28pm
Quote (devilslayer @ Apr 19 2018 02:25pm)
Ive taken it, after a patella tendon repair

It didnt have any effect on the pain AT ALL....

Percocets helped somewhat, morphine took all the pain away; nearly instant euphoria.

None of it was addictive, but that comes down to the individual i guess.

Yeah. I think I'm ok without them. It's just a sense of being uncomfortable but it's worth it. It's not terrible so I think I'll survive without meds.
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll