d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Couple Random Issues W/ Laptop
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4,000.12
Apr 17 2018 04:22am
Ok I’ll keep this simple.

First issue - suddenly stopped showing the option to ‘hibernate’ really weird. Hibernate was like the option I used 99% of the time. Have had the laptop for like 6 years now, and I’ve had this issue for maybe the last 12 months.
I just use sleep now but it’s not as good. Anybody heard of this before/have a fix on it?

Second issue - my ‘home’ button in the bottom left on the toolbar suddenly stopped working. When I click it it doesn’t bring up my options, in fact nothing happens. Makes things a little more annoying to find certain files and things. Again, has been fine up until last 12ish months too. I feel like this issue has happened once in the past and I found a fix for it. Couldn’t find anything this time.

Iirc I have Windows 8, but use the windows 7 (classic) look.
Gold: 2,118.35
Apr 18 2018 06:06am
Have you tried turning it off and on again
Gold: 18,352.00
Apr 19 2018 03:39pm
imo your better off without either feature being used.
Both are notorious for causing issues and not working as they should.

I unfortunately have no advice to resolve this issue.

As for the start button try restarting the explorer.exe process
install classic shell and see if it works as a quick alternitive (this is not a true fix though)
if you have classic shell installed or another 3rd party home button try removing it and restarting.
Apr 20 2018 08:46pm
Quote (King Atrhur @ Apr 20 2018 08:39am)
imo your better off without either feature being used.
Both are notorious for causing issues and not working as they should.

I unfortunately have no advice to resolve this issue.

As for the start button try restarting the explorer.exe process
install classic shell and see if it works as a quick alternitive (this is not a true fix though)
if you have classic shell installed or another 3rd party home button try removing it and restarting.

Thanks for the insights! I might just leave it then if they’re known to cause issues.

Would that be the same for sleep mode too, though?

Also, my laptop is getting up there in years and has had its fair share of overheating and running out of power etc. things I would imagine cause some damage to it.
Anything I can do to try increase its life span? Whether it’s software or hardware. I have tried to give the fan a clean with a can of compressed air cleaner designed specifically for it - not sure how effective t was though as I couldn’t get directly to the fan, had to go in from the side panel
Apr 20 2018 08:58pm
yes it also applies to sleep mode.

You could follow a guide online about how to disassemble it and clean/re-apply thermal paste.
A reputable shop could also do this for as low as 40$, anything over 60$ would be robbery imo.
Apr 21 2018 06:35am
Quote (King Atrhur @ Apr 21 2018 01:58pm)
yes it also applies to sleep mode.

You could follow a guide online about how to disassemble it and clean/re-apply thermal paste.
A reputable shop could also do this for as low as 40$, anything over 60$ would be robbery imo.

How bad is repeated use of sleep/hibernate for a laptop?

How often/how important is it to do that? (For example, keeping it clean, could it add like 2 years to its lifespan?)
Apr 21 2018 08:29am
Impossible to answer unfortunately.

Sometimes there's zero issues for the hardware and people like the feature but soon as they get new Tech/Update/OS/Over time etc shit hits the fan.
Given the amount of times I've dealt with BSOD's and corrupted OS's for clients due to the feature I'd avoid it like the plague. In fact theres someone
In CHD bitching about it not working and another in DF that had a BSOD constantly till it was disabled. Both within the same day.

Links:
https://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=78540041&f=188
https://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=78539913&f=115

As for keeping it clean think of a pc like a car. what happens if you don't change the oil/top it off. While things will still function for a bit you leave
yourself in a position to slowly damage it. The longer you do this the bigger the chance of irreversible damage, I'd clean a laptop once a year if I
owned it. Desktop machine 6 months unless its bad for w/e reason. I will state that hardware has always been quite resilient to neglect but I mean
you need to understand theres risks in just neglecting to care for your hardware.

This post was edited by King Atrhur on Apr 21 2018 08:29am
Gold: 0.00
Apr 21 2018 06:08pm
Have you tried using Windows repair/reset/refresh tool? Essentially will re-install your OS, but keep all your files.
Apr 21 2018 07:34pm
Quote (King Atrhur @ Apr 22 2018 01:29am)
Impossible to answer unfortunately.

Sometimes there's zero issues for the hardware and people like the feature but soon as they get new Tech/Update/OS/Over time etc shit hits the fan.
Given the amount of times I've dealt with BSOD's and corrupted OS's for clients due to the feature I'd avoid it like the plague. In fact theres someone
In CHD bitching about it not working and another in DF that had a BSOD constantly till it was disabled. Both within the same day.

Links:
https://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=78540041&f=188
https://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=78539913&f=115

As for keeping it clean think of a pc like a car. what happens if you don't change the oil/top it off. While things will still function for a bit you leave
yourself in a position to slowly damage it. The longer you do this the bigger the chance of irreversible damage, I'd clean a laptop once a year if I
owned it. Desktop machine 6 months unless its bad for w/e reason. I will state that hardware has always been quite resilient to neglect but I mean
you need to understand theres risks in just neglecting to care for your hardware.

Hey that’s crazy. I’m a guy that usually has a lot of tabs open always, hence the sleep/hibernate option. Might have to change that!

I’ll def get it cleaned too, she’s well over due for s tune up.

Quote (zell1luk @ Apr 22 2018 11:08am)
Have you tried using Windows repair/reset/refresh tool? Essentially will re-install your OS, but keep all your files.

Is that a downloadable tool?
Apr 21 2018 08:05pm
Quote (uGhost @ Apr 21 2018 08:34pm)
Hey that’s crazy. I’m a guy that usually has a lot of tabs open always, hence the sleep/hibernate option. Might have to change that!

I’ll def get it cleaned too, she’s well over due for s tune up.

Is that a downloadable tool?

Its a built in option on windows 10.
Its not a format but like one virtually however this will never fix the sleep/hibernations coding.
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll