d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Science, Technology & Nature > Need Some Help From Anyone In Medical Field > W/ Cardiology Backround
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 847.98
Apr 13 2018 05:05pm
I know this is weird place to come about a medical question, but im not 100% sure if im just being overly paranoid and I know anything i search online about it will show me the worst.

I was born with 2 vsd's and an asd and as ive gotten older, their size has not grown. I have an unusually clear heart murmur, every doctor ive ever had could hear it immediately.

insurance/background:

I used to gget checked by a cardiologist every year, but since i turned 19; i cant be covered under my parents insurance. So Since then, i've been on my own coverage with some help from the federal gvt since im a full time student and dont have much income (make about 15k a year). well I recently got dropped from coverage because i started making more money w/ uber (to pay off school before interest starts racking up) and i had to report it in my taxes. But now im not making enough money to pay for any coverage since the gvt wont help at all now..

Current problem:
I usually strive to be healthy and active. I box regularly to help with cardio and have wrestled for my whole life. but, i also smoke about an oz of weed a month; thats probably not helpful. So i never really got sick more than like once a year (if at all).
i would from time to time have chest pains while working out, but would work through it.
this is now the second time in 6 weeks that i have the flu, and i got sick in december too. Currently, this is the most sick ive felt in years.
Last night, me and my gf smashed pretty hard for roughly 40 mins. After i finished a second time, I collapsed and nearly lost consciousness. I stayed awake for about 2 hours before i felt comfortable enough to fall asleep.
This morning, my cough has been much worse and the Robitussin isnt helping. Every time i couggh, i get a very weird pain in the left side of my chest near outer side of the rib cage (under where the bicep lays). Ive never had this kind of pain before and it hasnt gone away.

question(s):
How worried should i be from a scale from 1-10. I know it sounds bad but ive never had any limitations from the heart defect before and its hard for me to believe its something to rush to the hospital (without insurance) over.
I'm thinking, ill call my campus health services (theyre pretty good tbh) and see if they have an ekg w/ someone competent enough to read it. Should i be concerned that they wont have the expertise to tell me if this is something i can just pass off?
How much would it cost for me to get this done at a health clinic? (estimated costs)
im assuming anything in a hospital is much more expensive, am i right?
anyone know how long it would take for me to get re-insured? Is that something that happens quickly?

tl;dr:
i have a heart defect, but a resting heart rate of about 75. I'm currently in between insurances because the US government sucks and dropped me because i made an extra $5k to pay off student loans. Am i guna die? (refer to questions)
Gold: 12,916.00
Warn: 30%
Apr 16 2018 06:24am
that doesnt seem like a heart issue to me at all :unsure: ! heart pain doesnt escalate when coughing, so its either myalgia or (more likely) viral pneumonia :cry: this flu strain is strong af and can easily bypass the usual immune system features

i dont know about the paying stuffs, but i live in serbia so we like cheap methods, i would probably just do you a chest xray first and see whats wrong, with pains you described you might have a pneumonia (would be a sharp pain, like someone stabbed you directly into the rib cage, getting worse when you cough, sneeze, etc) , and this virus with that location might even cause pericarditis :cry:

tldr: flu probably fucked you up hard, chest xray should be cheap so try that :cry:

edit: also the general rule is, avoid exercising or having sex if you have any flu problems that are below the neck so to say :wacko: runny nose, sure. cough, noooo :cry:

This post was edited by Snyft2 on Apr 16 2018 06:25am
Gold: 90.58
Apr 16 2018 03:48pm
Quote (Snyft2 @ Apr 16 2018 04:24am)
that doesnt seem like a heart issue to me at all :unsure: ! heart pain doesnt escalate when coughing, so its either myalgia or (more likely) viral pneumonia :cry: this flu strain is strong af and can easily bypass the usual immune system features

i dont know about the paying stuffs, but i live in serbia so we like cheap methods, i would probably just do you a chest xray first and see whats wrong, with pains you described you might have a pneumonia (would be a sharp pain, like someone stabbed you directly into the rib cage, getting worse when you cough, sneeze, etc) , and this virus with that location might even cause pericarditis :cry:

tldr: flu probably fucked you up hard, chest xray should be cheap so try that :cry:

edit: also the general rule is, avoid exercising or having sex if you have any flu problems that are below the neck so to say :wacko: runny nose, sure. cough, noooo :cry:

" After i finished a second time, I collapsed and nearly lost consciousness."

definitely sounds like a heart related issue to me. I was going to post a 500 word reply but deleted it because it's all speculation and i'm not a doctor. But in any event, my advice is to see a doctor ASAP. The VSDs are roughly $200 to $500++ w/o insurance, I recommend getting one of those done ASAP. For benefits to kick in it from a job, some take 6 months to 1 year.

This post was edited by JohnMiller92 on Apr 16 2018 03:51pm
Apr 16 2018 04:09pm
Quote (JohnMiller92 @ Apr 16 2018 11:48pm)
" After i finished a second time, I collapsed and nearly lost consciousness."

definitely sounds like a heart related issue to me. I was going to post a 500 word reply but deleted it because it's all speculation and i'm not a doctor. But in any event, my advice is to see a doctor ASAP. The VSDs are roughly $200 to $500++ w/o insurance, I recommend getting one of those done ASAP. For benefits to kick in it from a job, some take 6 months to 1 year.

even with his vsd, his heart seems in a very decent shape since boxing requires a lot of stamina, much more than sex does :wacko: you could fuck for a whole night and not feel nearly as spent as if you did one regular boxing training :wacko:

so yeah, im pretty sure its the flu ^_^ the virus has an affinity for the muscle tissue (among others), and since heart is a muscle, thats one of the reasons why doctors say you shouldnt have much physical activity while you have the flu. also with pains he described, the virus caused either myalgia, pneumonia, even myocartidis, and either of those would restrict his respiratory movements and make him even less able to do any aerobic exercise, even sex :cry:

so even though i am a doctor, i agree with JM and this is something that requires seeing a doctor fast because you might have to do a couple diagnostic procedures :cry: the best and most likely scenario is simply flu, with some complications possible. usually you would only have to do a chest xray,but with vsd you will maybe again have to do an echo! still see a doctor, its probably nothing serious but it might be :cry: !
Apr 16 2018 04:25pm
two more things:

1) american health insurance system makes me sick <_<

2) JM, you must really enjoy the number of smileys in both of my posts :blush:
Gold: 90.58
Apr 16 2018 07:20pm
Quote (Snyft2 @ Apr 16 2018 02:25pm)
two more things:
2) JM, you must really enjoy the number of smileys in both of my posts :blush:

:cry: :fume:

This post was edited by JohnMiller92 on Apr 16 2018 07:20pm
Gold: 847.98
Apr 16 2018 09:05pm
thanks for the info fellas.

last night was the highest point of my fever (102.2) and my entire body felt like it was in a cast for 6 months. I sweat profusely and ggot up about 6-7 times throughout the night to wipe myself off with a towel (until i ended up just sleeping on the towel itsellf lol)
but today, i woke up feeling a bit better. fever was down to 100.1, so i attended class for the first time in a week. moving around and feeling better as the day goes on. i think im guna survive :) :thumbsup:

thanks again guys

Apr 17 2018 01:52am
Quote (JohnMiller92 @ Apr 17 2018 03:20am)
:cry: :fume:

Quote (TinyRick @ Apr 17 2018 05:05am)
thanks for the info fellas.

last night was the highest point of my fever (102.2) and my entire body felt like it was in a cast for 6 months. I sweat profusely and ggot up about 6-7 times throughout the night to wipe myself off with a towel (until i ended up just sleeping on the towel itsellf lol)
but today, i woke up feeling a bit better. fever was down to 100.1, so i attended class for the first time in a week. moving around and feeling better as the day goes on. i think im guna survive :) :thumbsup:

thanks again guys

npp but! although thats all flu symptoms, you still might wanna see a doctor cause that chest pain that becomes worse with coughing is more of a pneumonia symptom :wacko: dont underestimate this flu strain, its one of the worst ive seen in years :cry:

i mean there isnt much you can do if its viral pneumonia other than take ibuprofen or anything of the type (and even antibiotics, ive seen a lot of patients that develop a bacterial infection as a complication of this flu; cefuroxime maybe? should be cheap idk :unsure: ) and wait it out, but an internist might decide to for example put you on corticosteroids if theres possibility of adhesions (you dont want adhesions :cry: ), and unlike antibiotics, taking corticosteroids can seriously fuck you up, so you shouldnt do it without a valid medical cause!
Go Back To Science, Technology & Nature Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll