d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Motor Sports & Cars > Control Arm Bolt
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 381.00
Trader: Trusted
Apr 12 2018 12:16pm
i've been working on a 1999 hyundai tiburon for some time now.
the front lower control arm on driver side needed to be replaced for a number of easily noticed reasons.

i have the ball-joint separated, but have come across an issue with the main bolt connecting bushing to "whatever technical section of framing it is".
the bolt is free-spinning. i cut in the frame from underneath to expose the bolt end and nut. the nut just spins with the bolt, it appears the hole has widened from driving with play in the control-arm.
it is going to be some work, but i think i can get the bolt out. hoping to utilize the bolt again, but we'll see.

i'm worried about replacing the new control-arm with things as is though. i am not positive, but it would appear the widened hole will give play even after fully tightened.
i'm wondering if maybe someone here would recommend something. i'm thinking maybe washers and bolt-sleeves cut down to shim in the framing behind the bushing. but, i'm also thinking i may have to weld a nut in place.

here is a crap picture i drew. the red and green are the bolt and nut i am referring too. if you have any questions ask away.

Gold: 533.37
Apr 13 2018 03:39am
are you talking about the bushing in the control arm is worn out or missing or the mount on the car that the control arm bolts too?
Apr 13 2018 02:40pm
Quote (JDH @ Apr 13 2018 04:39am)
are you talking about the bushing in the control arm is worn out or missing or the mount on the car that the control arm bolts too?

the mount in the sub-frame that holds the nut in place.

my previous question though i am no longer in need of an answer for. the hole didn't widen as it was appearing. i already have the new control-arm in, although i need to pick up some lock-tite to hold that nut in place since the sub-frame isn't going to do it anymore.

i am on to a new question though.
i had to cut out a decent size hole to be able to get a wrench in the sub-frame. i am now curious if i should be patching that hole with a weld. everything still seems to be sitting solid, but if it's risky i best just do it.
i can get a picture of the hole, but not today. rather rainy right now.
Gold: 1,363.36
Apr 13 2018 04:10pm
Weld it, but if i remember they have a recall for the subframe
Apr 14 2018 09:12am
Quote (Subban @ Apr 13 2018 05:10pm)
Weld it, but if i remember they have a recall for the subframe

i've checked a few years ago, i believe all recalls were expired for this year.
i've tried searching recently for recalls and didn't find anything.

i guess i'll plan to patch the hole
Go Back To Motor Sports & Cars Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll