d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Trump Reciprocal Tariff
1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 3.33
Apr 7 2018 02:39pm
Trump institutes "reciprocal tax" program. He says he will tax China at the rate they tax us. Whatever that is.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/12/trump-imports-reciprocal-tax-339127

The mainstream media and previous administration neglected to mention or act on the fact that China has had extensive tariffs for years at no reciprocal cost.

Elon Musk mentioned that Tesla was struggling with Chinese tariffs in which US car manufacturers pay a 25% import tariff while Chinese manufacturers only pay 2.5%.

For all you lovers of mainstream media, the only mainstream sources reporting on this (other than fox) are 'CNN money' and 'USA Today'. But no bias right?

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/trump-elon-musks-tweets-on-tariffs-very-interesting

China understands the value of having the world's manufacturing base, and intends to keep it at any cost.

This post was edited by FGdumpster on Apr 7 2018 02:41pm
Gold: 2,617.52
Apr 7 2018 02:57pm
This is the best policy. That means if China gets rid of tariffs, so will we
Gold: 7,525.35
Apr 7 2018 03:08pm
Quote (EndlessSky @ Apr 7 2018 04:57pm)
This is the best policy. That means if China gets rid of tariffs, so will we

it also means escalating tariffs.

trash policy that punishes american consumers for the bad policies of others

Quote (FGdumpster @ Apr 7 2018 04:39pm)
Trump institutes "reciprocal tax" program. He says he will tax China at the rate they tax us. Whatever that is.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/12/trump-imports-reciprocal-tax-339127

The mainstream media and previous administration neglected to mention or act on the fact that China has had extensive tariffs for years at no reciprocal cost.

Elon Musk mentioned that Tesla was struggling with Chinese tariffs in which US car manufacturers pay a 25% import tariff while Chinese manufacturers only pay 2.5%.

For all you lovers of mainstream media,the only mainstream sources reporting on this (other than fox) are 'CNN money' and 'USA Today'. But no bias right?

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/trump-elon-musks-tweets-on-tariffs-very-interesting

https://i.imgur.com/97DOIVJ.jpg

China understands the value of having the world's manufacturing base, and intends to keep it at any cost.

old news that virtually everyone discussed and covered.

i know you anprims get your news via carrier pigeon, but this was extra slow. you might want to take him to a vet and get him checked out.
Apr 7 2018 03:09pm
Quote (cambovenzi @ Apr 7 2018 03:08pm)

i know you anprims get your news via carrier pigeon, but this was extra slow. you might want to take him to a vet and get him checked out.

I suppose you just think China is run by a bunch of morons. I mean why would they have those terrible tariffs at all unless they're idiots right?
Apr 7 2018 03:10pm
“Civilized nations, however, do not use their armies and fleets to open one another’s ports to trade. What they use their armies and fleets for, is, when they quarrel, to close one another’s ports. . . . Trade does not require force. Free trade consists simply in letting people buy and sell as they want to buy and sell. It is protection that requires force, for it consists in preventing people from doing what they want to do. Protective tariffs are as much applications of force as are blockading squadrons, and their object is the same—to prevent trade. The difference between the two is that blockading squadrons are a means whereby nations seek to prevent their enemies from trading; protective tariffs are a means whereby nations attempt to prevent their own people from trading. What protection teaches us is to do to ourselves in time of peace what enemies seek to do to us in time of war.
Apr 7 2018 03:12pm
Quote (cambovenzi @ Apr 7 2018 03:10pm)
“Civilized nations, however, do not use their armies and fleets to open one another’s ports to trade. What they use their armies and fleets for, is, when they quarrel, to close one another’s ports. . . . Trade does not require force. Free trade consists simply in letting people buy and sell as they want to buy and sell. It is protection that requires force, for it consists in preventing people from doing what they want to do. Protective tariffs are as much applications of force as are blockading squadrons, and their object is the same—to prevent trade. The difference between the two is that blockading squadrons are a means whereby nations seek to prevent their enemies from trading; protective tariffs are a means whereby nations attempt to prevent their own people from trading. What protection teaches us is to do to ourselves in time of peace what enemies seek to do to us in time of war.

So if someone comes at you with a gun, your immediate choice is to not defend yourself but to let them kill you. Because wouldn't it be better if no one had guns?

This post was edited by FGdumpster on Apr 7 2018 03:13pm
Apr 7 2018 03:14pm
Quote (FGdumpster @ Apr 7 2018 05:09pm)
I suppose you just think China is run by a bunch of morons. I mean why would they have those terrible tariffs at all unless they're idiots right?

i already explained to you a key part of the picture via pm.
china is not one person. protectionist tariffs may benefit some people at the expense of others.
Their government choosing to benefit some industries at the expense of the well being of the masses there is not a good reason to copy them.
Governments are more than capable of enacting bad policies. The fact that the Chinese government did something does not make it inherently good or smart.

So if someone comes at you with a gun, your immediate choice is to not defend yourself, and let them kill you. Because wouldn't it be better if no one had guns?

The more accurate analogy is shooting yourself in the foot if someone else shot themselves in the foot first.
No, i wouldn't shoot myself.

This post was edited by cambovenzi on Apr 7 2018 03:14pm
Apr 7 2018 03:17pm
Quote (cambovenzi @ Apr 7 2018 03:14pm)
china is not one person. protectionist tariffs may benefit some people at the expense of others.
Their government choosing to benefit some industries at the expense of the well being of the masses there is not a good reason to copy them.
Governments are more than capable of enacting bad policies. The fact that the Chinese government did something does not make it inherently good or smart.

The more accurate analogy is shooting yourself in the foot if someone else shot themselves in the foot first.

In order to maintain wealth one must produce. You cannot create wealth through demand alone.

For example, I demand a yacht and a mansion. But I lack the production to acquire it.

If China siphons our production through tariffs, forcing our manufacturers to move or go out of business, how is that only bad for them again?

This post was edited by FGdumpster on Apr 7 2018 03:29pm
Gold: 2,617.52
Apr 7 2018 03:17pm
Quote (cambovenzi @ Apr 7 2018 05:08pm)

If youre a steel worker youre already being punished. Neither choice is an ideal scenario
Gold: 13.95
Apr 7 2018 03:18pm
When it comes to cars, raising the import tariff would mean nothing for Chinese car manufacturers. They're notoriously cheap cars that skip on safety and many other features which is why they export very little. When they do, it's to emerging countries because customers from where all the american/european and JP/KR cars are freely available would just buy an older model rather than a Chinese car if they can't afford brand new pricetags. Their clients are mostly middle east, poorer asian countries and I suspect more exports would be coming to African countries in the near future.

There's a reason why there's so many crazy accident videos caught by CCTV in China, and it's not only because of bad asian/chinese syndrome. Plenty of times where a car/truck is charging straight through a building I feel like this isn't driving failure but that the gas pedal/breaks or something is failing with the car.

As for Elon Musk and Tesla, their cars are pretty expensive I can see why they would be struggling with the market especially with the tariff.

Quote (cambovenzi @ Apr 7 2018 05:14pm)
Their government choosing tobenefit some industries at the expense of the well being of the masses there is not a good reason to copy them.

Yep, they're protecting their car industry as they grow and catch up to modern standards in car manufacturing, I'm sure their aim is to compete worldwide in the future.

This post was edited by Helloween7 on Apr 7 2018 03:21pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll