d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > New Build - Freezing Issues
Prev12346Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 10,655.00
Apr 8 2018 10:00pm
Quote (Ghot @ Apr 8 2018 09:29pm)
Well if it's NOT freezing on the BIOS screen, it might just be Windows that is corrupted.

You could try re-installing Windows on the SSD you already have.

Might also try it w/o the vid card installed. Run the monitor off the CPU/motherboard connection instead. See if that helps.
Gold: 0.00
Apr 9 2018 08:59pm
I got the USB from my brother. I tried everything without taking any components off.

Windows installation wouldn’t install to the SSD because it was a GBT or some crap, so I ran the CMD prompt through setup help to repartition the drive to the MBR or whatevs. Went through the install - had four different BSODs. Made it through, got to the desktop, and the thing froze.

After today, I think I can safely eliminate just a corrupted Windows 10 off the list. The replacement SSD arrives tomorrow. I’ll swap them out and give it another go. Since I have to remove the GFX to swap the SSD, I’ll hook the monitor up to the MB instead. It should be very obvious if it really was the SSD causing issues, or if it is something else.

God damnit.
Apr 9 2018 09:35pm

I should have asked before, but you haven't overclocked or anything? If so, that's the 1st thing you should do, is reset the BIOS to defaults.
Apr 9 2018 10:13pm
Quote (Ghot @ Apr 10 2018 03:35am)
I should have asked before, but you haven't overclocked or anything? If so, that's the 1st thing you should do, is reset the BIOS to defaults.

I have overclocked the processor and, depending on how you look at, the RAM. I had the processor up to 4.7 - which is somewhat tame for this processor compared with what I’ve read - for weeks prior to the freezing. The RAM is rated at 3000 but reads less, so I overclocked it to its rating at the same time (the ASUS MB has kind of an auto-OC that I chose and used because it also auto-clocks voltage, which I didnt want to deal with) The processor never went above 61 C during stress testing. I never overclocked the GFX because it has fairly poor cooling since it is a reference card.

I kept the overclock going until a few days ago when I really seriously tried to troubleshoot the freezing issue, and then I reset the BIOS. It didn’t seem to help anything.

This post was edited by Interesting on Apr 9 2018 10:18pm
Apr 9 2018 10:24pm
Set the BIOS back to defaults.

We can't troubleshoot anything, when a comp is overclocked. Once it's set back to defaults, leave it there.

Then try to re-install Windows.

/e If it still has problems after being set to defaults, then we have a hardware issue.

This post was edited by Ghot on Apr 9 2018 10:26pm
Apr 9 2018 10:26pm
Quote (Ghot @ Apr 10 2018 04:24am)
Set the BIOS back to defaults.

We can't troubleshoot anything, when a comp is overclocked.

It has been set on the default settings since I reset them on Saturday.
Apr 9 2018 10:29pm

Well, while waiting for the SSD, you can try to test the RAM. Try with one stick in each of the slots, repeat with the other stick.

Also try with and without the vid card.
Apr 9 2018 10:39pm
Quote (Ghot @ Apr 10 2018 04:29am)
Well, while waiting for the SSD, you can try to test the RAM. Try with one stick in each of the slots, repeat with the other stick.

Also try with and without the vid card.

One thing I did successfully complete on Saturday prior to the total collapse was the Windows memory test. Took about 45 minutes and was successful - reported no issues.

I’m on my phone right now - I won’t be able to get on the computer and troubleshoot it until after 4 P.M. PST tomorrow. The SSD will probably be here by then. Do you think I should try with the RAM prior to switching the SSD?

This post was edited by Interesting on Apr 9 2018 10:40pm
Apr 9 2018 11:00pm

Compared to Memtest, the Windows memory test is not that good.

As for the SSD, it's the easiest to test. Put the new one in and try to install Windows. If Windows installs with no problems, then the old SSD was the bad component.
Apr 10 2018 07:51pm
I updated the BIOS as an update to it was just released. Then I swapped out the SSD. On the back of the heat shield was a foamish rubbery pad with a plastic sticker on it.. this was not melted but pretty close, and that’s just from having the thing on for a few moments for BIOS update. I can’t help but feel that some residue melted onto the old SSD.

I cleaned the heat sink, swapped the SSD, etc. I loaded windows - had a few BSODs. Got to desktop - everything basically good. Powered down and put back the GFX and loaded up again - still good. It did freeze once.. screen changed resolutions and grayed out and froze.

Restarted - got to Windows. Everything fine. Updated Windows, downloaded Chrome, downloaded GFX driver. Installed graphics driver, and kablooey. Chain freezing. Froze and froze on Windows load screen, etc... I managed to get to the Windows repair, reset the computer back to a secure point. Back in Windows and everything is meh. Downloaded Chrome again. Downloaded Windows updates but one says it can’t install cause of error. Rebooted to install what it could - BSOD - rebooted again and back to Windows. Clicked on Start - froze and BSOD. Last few have been “MACHINE CHECK EXCEPTION”.

That’s where I’m at now. I didn’t want to post to early - wanted to give it a few goes
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Prev12346Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll