d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > New Build - Freezing Issues
1236Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Apr 7 2018 06:49am
In early February I completed a new build of all new parts except for the GFX, which is a reference 980 my brother used to mine for about 6 months.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZNptgw

For the first month - no issues at all. Now, however, the computer sometimes freezes. I really only play Overwatch and WoW on this computer - with minimal other use.

I've had it freeze 2 seconds after I pushed the start button (froze on the BIOS/POST screen pre-Windows load). It can freeze during a game. It actually froze while I was writing this post. Sometimes, when it freezes, weird things happen. It signed me out of Windows one of the freezes. A few times after a freeze, it has asked me to re-install WoW and Overwatch (when I do so, it recognizes the games and insta-finishes). It just freezes - gives no indication.

After I finish playing the computer, I usually unplug everything / move it into an storage desk. One thought I had is that this minor jostling might have caused the PCI-E SSD to become slightly loose? I have no clue! Thermals all read good - and like I said, it has frozen 2 seconds in before.

I don't know what is happening, but it is very frustrating that it wouldn't happen for a month and then, all of a sudden, it plagues me like this! I've updated all of the drivers but it still does it. Does anyone have any ideas?

This post was edited by Interesting on Apr 7 2018 06:51am
Apr 7 2018 11:12am
When you say freezes, does it un-freeze after a couple seconds or do you have to restart the computer?
Assuming you mean m.2 SSD, as long as you have it screwed down, there should be no way it can get loose from the mobo.
I would start by making sure all your connections are still good; 24pin, 8pin cpu, ram and gfx card seated properly, if you have a modular power supply make sure everything is connected properly to that
Could try a bios flash and re-install of OS if checking connections doesn't work.
Gold: 10,655.00
Apr 7 2018 12:08pm
Quote (Interesting @ Apr 7 2018 08:49am)
In early February I completed a new build of all new parts except for the GFX, which is a reference 980 my brother used to mine for about 6 months.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZNptgw

For the first month - no issues at all. Now, however, the computer sometimes freezes. I really only play Overwatch and WoW on this computer - with minimal other use.

I've had it freeze 2 seconds after I pushed the start button (froze on the BIOS/POST screen pre-Windows load). It can freeze during a game. It actually froze while I was writing this post. Sometimes, when it freezes, weird things happen. It signed me out of Windows one of the freezes. A few times after a freeze, it has asked me to re-install WoW and Overwatch (when I do so, it recognizes the games and insta-finishes). It just freezes - gives no indication.

After I finish playing the computer, I usually unplug everything / move it into an storage desk. One thought I had is that this minor jostling might have caused the PCI-E SSD to become slightly loose? I have no clue! Thermals all read good - and like I said, it has frozen 2 seconds in before.

I don't know what is happening, but it is very frustrating that it wouldn't happen for a month and then, all of a sudden, it plagues me like this! I've updated all of the drivers but it still does it. Does anyone have any ideas?

Check all the connections ofc, but make sure you re-seat the RAM. May even want to use a small artists paint brush or a can of compressed air to make sure there is no dust in the RAM slots.

On a side note, don't move the computer around all the time.
Apr 8 2018 01:00pm
Today was pretty bad. It froze way more than normal, though I did get a 5 hour stretch of WoW where it didn’t freeze. Unfortunately, it got so bad when I switched to Overwatch that... ugh!

I don’t really know what the issue is... yeah I move the tower semi-often, but I don’t ham-handedly jostle it around. I don’t know how I could enjoy a long stretch of WoW and then the system freezes every 2 seconds outside of it. I don’t know how it could be fine for a month and then run so shitty.

I redid all of the connections, and re-seated the RAM and GFX, and then I went to reset the system to reinstall Windows via the BIOS, but it froze halfway through. Now it just freezes all the time! Seriously - the fuck?

Apr 8 2018 01:53pm

I see you have a Bitfinex power supply. Which to my knowledge is not a well known brand of PSU.

I would suspect it, and possibly the SSD. In the case of the SSD, it is relatively new thing for Western Digital as well. Last of all I would suspect the RAM, cause the RAM does so much.

You can check the PSU voltages with AIDA64 Extreme, you can test the RAM with Memtest. As for the SSD, I would just put another drive in there of any kind, and see if the problem persists.
Apr 8 2018 02:32pm
Quote (Ghot @ Apr 8 2018 07:53pm)
I see you have a Bitfinex power supply. Which to my knowledge is not a well known brand of PSU.

I would suspect it, and possibly the SSD. In the case of the SSD, it is relatively new thing for Western Digital as well. Last of all I would suspect the RAM, cause the RAM does so much.

You can check the PSU voltages with AIDA64 Extreme, you can test the RAM with Memtest. As for the SSD, I would just put another drive in there of any kind, and see if the problem persists.

I’m leaning more toward thinking the PCI-E is trash. Currently, it goes to the Preparing to Install Windows screen, let’s me know it had an error and will have to restart to install Windows, restarts, and shows the same thing ad continuum.

My computer has 2 post screens when it loads, the first one in which I can enter the BIOS, and a second one which shows the progress circles for about-to-start-loading Windows. It only ever screwed up on the second one.

I think what caused Armageddon today is that I increased the virtual memory thinking that the RAM could be at fault somehow. With the faulty SSD... sign.

This post was edited by Interesting on Apr 8 2018 02:35pm
Apr 8 2018 02:40pm
Well the SSD is the easiest thing to check. Just unhook it, and hookup another drive. Install Windows.
Then if you get to the desktop, you can check the PSU voltages with AIDA64 or HWMonitor.
RAM is both easiest and hardest. Memetest runs outside windows (easy) but it takes like all night long for the tests to run.

/e Also, I don't see a vid card on your parts list.

This post was edited by Ghot on Apr 8 2018 02:53pm
Apr 8 2018 03:20pm

In your original post you said:
I've had it freeze 2 seconds after I pushed the start button (froze on the BIOS/POST screen pre-Windows load).
...this is why I'm pretty sure you have a hardware problem.
Apr 8 2018 06:35pm
Quote (Ghot @ Apr 8 2018 09:20pm)
In your original post you said: ...this is why I'm pretty sure you have a hardware problem.

I’m sorry - I was confused.

When I turn the computer on (before today anyways) it posts with a black screen and a ASUS ROG logo with the “Press Del or F2 to go to BIOS” message, for about 2 seconds. Then, it shows the same exact screen without letters but with a status circle, for about 2 seconds. Then it goes into Windows 10-related loading screen.

It has frozen on that second screen - the black screen with the ASUS ROG and the status circle. It’s never frozen on the first screen or in the actual BIOS. Even now, with everything fucked, I can go dink around in BIOS.

I contacted Amazon, where I bought the SSD, and even though the return window ended in February, they sent me another SSD with one-day shipping for free. Now I’ll pull out the old one, mail it back, slap in this new one and reinstall Windows to see what’ll happen. That’ll probably be on Tuesday or Wednesday.

This post was edited by Interesting on Apr 8 2018 06:37pm
Apr 8 2018 07:29pm

Well if it's NOT freezing on the BIOS screen, it might just be Windows that is corrupted.

You could try re-installing Windows on the SSD you already have.
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
1236Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll