d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Who Will Win The Trade War?
Prev14567815Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 10,655.00
Jun 19 2018 05:17pm
Quote (Horford @ Jun 19 2018 07:16pm)
Well even if China is "already losing", we're certainly not winning... (yet, at least).

Yeah, we are, and we will. That is inevitable. We just need to stick to our guns and stick together.
Gold: 40.64
Jun 25 2018 03:05pm
Trump is playing hardball and elbowing his base in the face. The EU retaliated with tariffs on Harley-Davidson motorcycles which would increase the cost per bike by $2200. Harley-Davidson's response is to move more production to the EU.
You can read the official statement by Harley-Davidson here: http://investor.harley-davidson.com/node/17401/html

Smooth move Trump, really saving those American manufacturing jobs /s
This is protecting national security... right??

This is just the tip of the iceberg. I think the EU and China will hold out longer than Trump is in office. How much more damaged has to occur to American businesses before Trump realizes this isn't going to work?

Why is it so hard to just talk to our trade partners and work out disputes or tariff imbalances in a controlled manner? These sanction-like tariffs are fucking everybody in the ass. I don't see a winner.

My optimistic view is that these extreme tariffs on both sides will set the stage for negotiations that will lead to fair trade agreements. But how much damage has to occur before then? And how long will it take to recover those losses, if ever?

This post was edited by NatureNames on Jun 25 2018 03:17pm
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 20%
Jun 25 2018 03:14pm
Quote (Ghot @ 20 Jun 2018 00:17)
Yeah, we are, and we will. That is inevitable. We just need to stick to our guns and stick together.

you sound like a beer league football coach - you don't 'win' just because you tell yourself you will and by showing team spirit.
you lose if your products get more expensive or entirely unavailable, you lose if your economy suffers - so everybody is going to lose from this. if you're willing to lose just to claim someone else is losing even worse that's still bad policy - only someone desperate for 'wins' or completely unbothered by original and critical thought would claim otherwise...
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 10%
Jun 26 2018 08:07am
trade wars are so "Easy to win" though

😂
Jun 26 2018 08:18am
Quote (Horford @ Jun 26 2018 09:07am)
trade wars are so "Easy to win" though

😂

The only ones who win trade wars are government treasuries (and even there, they're Pyrrhic victories).
Gold: 7,371.00
Jun 26 2018 10:55am
Quote (dro94 @ Jun 3 2018 03:16pm)
Having a trade deficit is necessarily bad, this isn't autarky. Individuals have a trade deficit with the local supermarket because they provide goods at a cheaper cost (not exclusively price) than if we produced it ourselves. If you think your country can provide a higher quality or lower cost product or service than China then make it, or lobby your government to invest in those markets.

It's also pretty important to mention that the US has such a large trade deficit because its citizens are wealthy enough to consume enough products that cannot be produced by domestic firms alone. You could make a case that a large trade deficit is a risk to the value of the dollar, but as the reserve currency of the world it's not going anywhere for a long time.

No it's not and your analysis is correct except it's missing the other side of the coin which is that those markets severely limit our companies. China has very high entry barriers for US businesses that make it very difficult for our companies to be competitive there.

Every time i go to the mall i see tons of Asians snatching up American products. They love the iPhones, they love the name brands that America has to offer. Why do you think so many of them come to the US and snatch up these products. If China wasn't so restrictive and didn't protect it's industries i doubt we'd be having the trade war talks.

edit: I'm actually heading back to eastern Europe in a few weeks and it's annoying how many requests i got for iPhones. Everyone and their mom wants me to buy them an iPhone. They tell me they don't want to buy there because there's so many Chinese knockoffs that are absolute trash.

Quote (thesnipa @ Jun 7 2018 07:55am)
America, creates copyright system thats massively abused by people stealing credit from others when they had zero to do with the original product. (see windshield wipers, fidget spinners, the lightbulb, etc)

China, seeing that many American goods are easy to make at equal or lower quality and only hold market share in America due to brand name laws, knocks them off.

America, "YOU'RE NOT FOLLOWING THE RULES THAT WE CREATED WHEN YOU WERE STILL ALL FARMERS, THIS IS OUR GAME AND WE'RE THE CHAMP 200 TIMES RUNNING PLUS THE REFEREES."

This whole idea of copyright infringement is silly. we created a system that was meant to work inside of our borders, we have zero right to worldwide exclusive control. mainly because countless products were stolen or adapted from overseas equivalents and copyrighted here. it happens thousands of times a year, overseas product/process gets developed and someone patents it here. then we cry about knockoff Nikes, that someone bought for 10$, knowing they are knockoffs.

It's silly when we're discussing things like windshield wipers and fidget spinner but not so silly when we are talking about biomedical tech or things like semiconductors. I feel like you're purposefully focusing on the simplicities and not giving enough attention to actual intellectual property. Investors in the US invest in some of these research companies precisely because there is a high profit incentive. If you don't protect that incentive by destroying the rights to intellectual property you will actually see a decline in investment in those fields. I might invest in some small cap drug company because i think i can get 500% ROI. I wouldn't invest if i knew that even though they do develop a very good drug, some other companies will be able to produce that drug w/o incurring any of the costs. So what happens then? Well i wouldn't invest in the small cap bios, investment would drop all across this sector and less development would happen over time which is a net negative.

This post was edited by ofthevoid on Jun 26 2018 10:59am
Jun 26 2018 11:06am
Quote (Ghot @ 19 Jun 2018 23:17)

Thank god we have Ghot here. The world's economists and political theorists don't hold a candle to this god among men. He knows better than all of them.
Jul 7 2018 10:49am
Okay, I'm not an economics expert, but literally how are we going to win this trade war against China?

China’s economy is no longer as dependent on exports. Domestic consumption now accounts for more than half of the country’s GDP. Exports to the US account for only 19% of all of China’s exports.

“The reciprocal tariffs on US$50bn of goods in both directions will have minimal impact in China,” Andy Rothman, an investment strategist at Matthews Asia, wrote in a blog this week. China’s tariffs on major US exports like soybeans, sorghum, and autos, target Republican areas ahead of US midterm elections. “The impact on the US political environment is, however, likely to be far greater,” he said.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/06/china-ready-to-fight-back-as-us-begins-trade-war?
Jul 7 2018 10:53am
Even Trump's biggest ally is like F U

In Moscow, Maxim Oreshkin, the economic development minister, said that additional tariffs ranging from 25 per cent to 40 per cent have been applied to some road construction equipment, oil and gas equipment, metal processing instruments, drilling equipment and optical fibre.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/us-russia-tariffs-trade-war-latest-trump-putin-goods-import-duties-a8434746.html?
Gold: 17,384.69
Jul 7 2018 10:59am
Trump "trade war" could lead to a crisis similar than 2008.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev14567815Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll