d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows > Ready Player One
Prev1345
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 250.00
Warn: 10%
Apr 7 2018 04:09pm
Quote (Blah58 @ Apr 7 2018 11:35am)
Those are two book series that you definitely have to read before you die.

Too many references in them, he wouldn't like them.
Gold: 425,263.99
Apr 7 2018 06:17pm
Trailer = whole movie. GG.
Gold: 0.00
Apr 9 2018 08:50am
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Apr 6 2018 11:56am)
I can write a long review later and explain, but I'll say this as quickly/cleanly as I can.

They made it dumb. They dumbed it down too much. The only way the movie this plays out is even somewhat believable (given the premise in a futuristic world with haptic gear blah blah is all a reality), the only way it makes sense is if every single person in this world has an IQ of about 70. They made it sooooo fucking stupid and the more you watch, the dumber it gets and I just couldn't look past it by the end.

Edit - Few of the biggest beefs though

Constant preaching
Sorrento - Making him retarded
Dumbing it down - Making the clues so stupid/random a 5 yr could figure them out
Dynamic changes - Forcing relationships between people/wasting time etc..
Willy Wonka ripoff

Most things I could have dealt with

Changing all the tasks
not killing anyone
iRock
Aech etc....

All of that didn't bother me too much, but they just fucked up too hard.

I haven't read the books but first time I saw the trailer that's exactly what I thought. The pure and chosen one and main protagonist is rewarded for their suffering by the wise and powerful Oz. Sorta thing. I still plan to check it out, but my gut instinct feels validated lol.
Gold: 0.50
Apr 10 2018 08:48pm
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Apr 6 2018 11:30am)
My expectations were lowered based off the trailers being terrible, but my original expectations were high based off my enjoyment of the book.

They did a couple okay things, the whole Shining bit wasn't bad, but they just shit the bed so hard on a handful of easy to do things, and it just kept getting harder and harder for me to look past as it went on.

I feel like you, as well as most, go into movies thinking it will be as good as one of your favorite books. How long did that book take you to read? Probably more than 2 hours and 15 minutes. How in the world would you be able to fit all of the emotion, tediousness, and repetitive actions of this book into a two hour block? Its impossible.

Where they left out certain critical moments of the book out of the movie (like the death at the end), they still had the bombing and those deaths. You see it's serious. I don't believe the end death is even necessary in the movie since it doesn't build a real strong relationship between the characters.

As for the challenges not replicating those in the book... good! To read it was great, to watch how it was written could be incredibly boring. I thought it was exciting watching the movie and being surprised at what the next challenge would be! I already know the backstory so i personally didn't mind the lack of detail, but it was like i got to experience two more challenges in addition to story.

It's not a great movie, it wasn't better than the book, but who really expected it to? If you did, shame on you. It was very enjoyable movie.

Edit: Josh not just meant for you, just quoted you. It is intended for anyone who posts: book>movie.... no shit sherlock

This post was edited by xmarksdaspot2124 on Apr 10 2018 08:52pm
Gold: 10,025.00
Apr 10 2018 09:12pm
Quote (xmarksdaspot2124 @ Apr 10 2018 07:48pm)
I feel like you, as well as most, go into movies thinking it will be as good as one of your favorite books. How long did that book take you to read? Probably more than 2 hours and 15 minutes. How in the world would you be able to fit all of the emotion, tediousness, and repetitive actions of this book into a two hour block? Its impossible.

Where they left out certain critical moments of the book out of the movie (like the death at the end), they still had the bombing and those deaths. You see it's serious. I don't believe the end death is even necessary in the movie since it doesn't build a real strong relationship between the characters.

As for the challenges not replicating those in the book... good! To read it was great, to watch how it was written could be incredibly boring. I thought it was exciting watching the movie and being surprised at what the next challenge would be! I already know the backstory so i personally didn't mind the lack of detail, but it was like i got to experience two more challenges in addition to story.

It's not a great movie, it wasn't better than the book, but who really expected it to? If you did, shame on you. It was very enjoyable movie.

Edit: Josh not just meant for you, just quoted you. It is intended for anyone who posts: book>movie.... no shit sherlock

Lotr movies>books

Tolkien is great and the Hobbit book was amazing, but my God his writing style in the lotr books was so fucking boring.
Gold: 0.50
Apr 10 2018 09:52pm
Quote (Blah58 @ Apr 10 2018 11:12pm)
Lotr movies>books

Tolkien is great and the Hobbit book was amazing, but my God his writing style in the lotr books was so fucking boring.

There are many people who would disagree, but there a couple exceptions. It is very rare though. Im speaking generally. If you go in hoping for a movie to be like as good as a book, you're going to be disappointed.
Gold: 10,025.00
Apr 10 2018 10:05pm
Quote (xmarksdaspot2124 @ Apr 10 2018 08:52pm)
There are many people who would disagree, but there a couple exceptions. It is very rare though. Im speaking generally. If you go in hoping for a movie to be like as good as a book, you're going to be disappointed.

Honestly you should go in with the same expectations you have when you see "based on true events".
Gold: 250.00
Warn: 10%
Apr 11 2018 12:03am
Quote (xmarksdaspot2124 @ Apr 10 2018 06:48pm)

Like I said before, changing aspects or how things unfold is one thing, and depending on how it's done, it's something I have no problem with and I already explained all this. Making the main characters and everyone in the world mentally retarded, drastically changing the character dynamics (who they are, how they feel, how they act etc...), and changing the entire fucking point of the game and the book to sell some half-cocked braindead shit so the masses can stomach it better is what made it absolutely awful for me. If you would have seen my second post, you would have seen that I said I was fine with them changing every single one of the tasks along with many many other aspects as though are not the most important things to keep in tact when transferring something from one form of entertainment to another. That being said, butchering every aspect of the characters, the world (other than the visual component), and changing the entire purpose of the contest was just fucking :bonk: and made it unbearable, and I'm not sure how anyone who read the book could feel differently. I think on my first readthrough it took me about 220 minutes to finish, so ya, I think a lot more could have been done in 140 minutes.

Quote (Blah58 @ Apr 10 2018 07:12pm)
Lotr movies>books

You're not wrong lol. Parts of those books were painfully fucking boring, and will at times put even the most avid fan to sleep. Depends on what kind of mood I'm in, but I love the LotR books and the movies and I thought Jackson did a terrific job with them. He completely shit the bed with the hobbit and should have just never fucking touched it. Jackson spends 9 hours on a 300 page book and left out almost every awesome event (that actually happened), to give us a 9 hour movie about the fucking ring that we've already had 9 hours worth of movies about. Thanks Jackson, just in case we forgot that you made the LotR triology, it's nice that you took a book where the ring is found and used a few times (that's fucking it) and turned it into a 9 hour long teaser for a series you've already done, Bra-fucking-o.

This post was edited by jadeoshbogosh on Apr 11 2018 12:11am
Gold: 150.00
Apr 15 2018 03:29am
i enjoyed it but it wasnt all that great. was just something to rest your eyes on for 2 hours or so.
i wouldnt be surprised if ss just signed his name on it and some grunts just put it together
Go Back To Movies & TV Shows Topic List
Prev1345
Add Reply New Topic New Poll