d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Other Games > Path of Exile > Strategy & Guides > New Player, Need Help With Identifying Good Gear
Add Reply New Topic
Gold: 0.00
Apr 3 2018 01:38pm
Hello,

I've only been playing this game for about a week now and I have learned a lot thus far. One thing I'm still trying to figure out is what makes an item good. Whenever I ask someone about good gear (since the trade macro can be a little wonky sometimes) I always get a response like "defensives aren't good on a quiver" or "on rings you want this, this, and this" so I sort of understand it at the most basic level but is there some sort of master guide that can tell me what I need to be looking for on different slots? i.e "x amount of res. on an amulet is good" or something along those lines?

Thanks in advance.
Gold: 1,399.31
Apr 4 2018 12:50am
Only one way to learn that.

Play the game and play different builds. It'll come naturally when you try to get stuff for yourself.
There is wide variety of builds and some may look for very specific stuff.

Some things you need to know thou:
Item can have 3 suffixes and 3 prefixes. These come on "tiers" - you can check them in game by holding alt when hovering over item in game or on some sites, i.e.:
http://poedb.tw/us/mod.php

So, a good item is one that rolls with mods you want and those roll on high tiers.

For example for strength based boots, resistances are suffix and tier 1 is 46 - 48%. Life (90-96), movement speed (30%) and hybrid armour life are prefixes.
So 25%+ movement speed boots with over 100 life with 3 high resistances mods (35%+) is a decent pair.

In general weapon, amulet and quiver are the place to get offensive stats.
Boots, helm, armour are more for defensive stats, although it depends on build.
Rings, belt and gloves are mix of defensive and offensive depending on what you need.

Effective life is good on all slots - so life / es / (possibly mana - again depends on build).

Resistances you can fill out on i.e. jewels so you have max resistances for different map mods.
Gold: 632.75
Apr 5 2018 10:20am
I'll just add you need to turn on the setting in the options menu before you do this in game.
Find the setting to show detailed item description (or some wording similar to that) and mark it then you can try holding the alt key while hovering your mouse over an item.
Gold: 0.00
Apr 5 2018 10:10pm
Thanks for the replies! I appreciate it and i'll definitely check all of this out :D
Go Back To Strategy & Guides Topic List
Add Reply New Topic