d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Spanking Or Hitting A Child Is Assault
12311Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Retired Moderator
Gold: 35,078.94
Trader: Trusted
Apr 1 2018 10:20am
I don’t understand how this is even debated. Once your child turns 18 and is old enough to fight back, it’s assault. In Canada you can’t hit children younger than 2 or older than 12. Other than that, it’s assault.

Regardless of the argument that spanking or hitting teaches your child, it’s overwhelmingly proven that it often goes too far physically, and causes major long term emotional and mental damage to the child in many cases. There are always many people who believe that if they weren’t hit as a child, they’d have grown up as a brat or entitled, etc. I simply don’t understand why you can’t sprak to your child, teach them, ground them, find more accurate means of punishment that suit the need to teach and raise a child.

Discuss why people think it’s okay to hit an entirely innocent child while it is illegal to hit them once they’re old enough to hit you back and cause damage.
Gold: 1.69
Apr 1 2018 10:23am
Different stages of mental development. Don't walk into a stage of psychology that you clearly don't understand. Just leave it up to the experts that quite clearly set a pretty clear and fair law.
Getting a spanking as a kid for doing a grievous thing is the same as slapping shackles on a man committing a crime....
Gold: 1,495.80
Apr 1 2018 10:31am
Stop trying to force your parenting opinions on others
How people raise their kids is their personal business

That’d be like trying to tell people if they can or can’t have abortions, have sex marriages, commit suicide, have sex changes, own guns, etc
It’s all personal choices and everybody has the right to do what they want. If you control it you’re communist
Apr 1 2018 10:32am
Quote (Happypuppy @ 1 Apr 2018 12:31)
Stop trying to force your parenting opinions on others
How people raise their kids is their personal business

That’d be like trying to tell people if they can or can’t have abortions, have sex marriages, commit suicide, have sex changes, own guns, etc
It’s all personal choices and everybody has the right to do what they want. If you control it you’re communist

This too.
Gold: 2,617.52
Apr 1 2018 10:35am
For a small percentage of children their temperament is such that they wont respect an elder unless they can prove they are stronger. Thats the only case in which id allow corporal punishment and only if you also explain to the child why.

Lets be honest here though, the real problem is single motherhood. Those children are more likely to be abused and then grow up to commit violent crimes themselves
Gold: Locked
Apr 1 2018 10:35am
Discuss why you keep making this thread. What is this, this 5th incarnation now?
Gold: 0.00
Apr 1 2018 10:38am
Hitting and spanking a child is largely a result of parents not knowing effective parenting techniques. It's a strategy that doesn't make sense to me, personally, as you're not imparting a sense of ethics onto a child that you hit/spank. You're instead merely instilling in them the idea that "I shouldn't do X, because I don't want to get hit/spanked". It's very shallow ethical development at best.
Gold: 945.00
Apr 1 2018 10:42am
Quote (Handcuffs @ Apr 1 2018 05:38pm)
Hitting and spanking a child is largely a result of parents not knowing effective parenting techniques. It's a strategy that doesn't make sense to me, personally, as you're not imparting a sense of ethics onto a child that you hit/spank. You're instead merely instilling in them the idea that "I shouldn't do X, because I don't want to get hit/spanked". It's very shallow ethical development at best.

Good post, I agree but can argue that it can be extremely effective when used once in a life time. A single physical correctional minor hit, at a point of severely crossing the line. The effect of being flabbergasted as a kid at the situation turns into the situation you describe when used more than once.
Apr 1 2018 10:48am
You guys are wusses. Have you never done sports or anything? A little smack on the ass that stings a bit doesn't leave a mental scar unless you are literally trying to scar your child by acting like a raging maniac.
Gold: 945.00
Apr 1 2018 10:49am
Quote (ChrisKz @ Apr 1 2018 05:48pm)
You guys are wusses. Have you never done sports or anything? A little smack on the ass that stings a bit doesn't leave a mental scar unless you are literally trying to scar your child by acting like a raging maniac.

Problem is that for a spanking to have the same effect, the intensity needs to increase as well.

problem number 2 is: it tends to increase.

This post was edited by Knoppie on Apr 1 2018 10:50am
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
12311Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll