d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Immigration, Etc... > And Illegal Immigrants
Prev1373839404177Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4,400.67
Jun 20 2018 01:34am
Quote (Ghot @ 20 Jun 2018 05:33)

consistent and determined action show quick results - who would have thought?
Gold: 28,296.69
Jun 20 2018 07:49am
This ironically might be the one issue Trump actually pays some sort of price for in the long run

Even the far right hardcore conservatives are softening up on this one

Gold: 2,489.69
Jun 20 2018 08:23am
Quote (Ghot @ Jun 19 2018 07:42pm)
Yeah it will. Or maybe we should just put them up in Holiday Inns, at the taxpayers expense. :/

"it will be worse" for "reasons" vs. "separating children from their parents is a deterrent"

pick one genius.
Jun 20 2018 11:01am
Quote (Beowulf @ 20 Jun 2018 15:49)
This ironically might be the one issue Trump actually pays some sort of price for in the long run

Even the far right hardcore conservatives are softening up on this one

according to recent polls, only around 25% of republicans oppose this policy. so playing the "crying children"-card has only affected one fourth of his base. a lot of them will "come home" once they start thinking rationally about it instead of being washed away by emotions and cheap propaganda.
Jun 20 2018 11:05am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jun 20 2018 11:01am)
according to recent polls, only around 25% of republicans oppose this policy. so playing the "crying children"-card has only affected one fourth of his base. a lot of them will "come home" once they start thinking rationally about it instead of being washed away by emotions and cheap propaganda.

still waiting on your rational thinking on why housing families together is worse. you said that and have run from it since i pointed out how insanely irrational that is. please lmk, i'd love to come home.
Gold: 28,296.69
Jun 20 2018 11:05am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jun 20 2018 10:01am)

There are also Republicans specifically motivated by this issue and not in a good way or for the reason one would expect.

Spokespeople for the administration (as i recently said in another post) womp womping and calling them invaders while this is happening are terrible optics

Trump knows it and that's why he's been acting the way he has since the beginning. Much weaker, less confidence, more fear about how he is handling this one

So far they have bigly botched it
Jun 20 2018 11:08am
Quote (Beowulf @ Jun 20 2018 11:05am)
There are also Republicans specifically motivated by this issue and not in a good way or for the reason one would expect.

Spokespeople for the administration (as i recently said in another post) womp womping and calling them invaders while this is happening are terrible optics

Trump knows it and that's why he's been acting the way he has since the beginning. Much weaker, less confidence, more fear about how he is handling this one

So far they have bigly botched it

the fact that Cruz, the mouthpiece for evangelicals, was the one bringing forward swift legislation validates this post.
Jun 20 2018 11:19am
Quote (thesnipa @ 20 Jun 2018 19:05)
still waiting on your rational thinking on why housing families together is worse. you said that and have run from it since i pointed out how insanely irrational that is. please lmk, i'd love to come home.

housing them where, under which conditions? I support the idea of creating "transition centers" which have a fence around them, but are like a normal village otherwise, where illegal immigrants and their children can be detained until they are deported or admitted into the U.S.
but such transition centers would have to be built first; and until then, there are only the options I laid out before:

• put the parents to jail and the children into state custody, i.e. separate them.
  • put the parents to jail with their children.
  • dont put illegal immigrants into jail if they are accompanied by children. this would imply a return to the failed obama-era "catch and release" policies. and it would incentivize future illegal immigrants to abuse children as an "emotional human shield".

which of these options would you prefer until family-friendly but fenced transition centers are ready?

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jun 20 2018 11:19am
Jun 20 2018 11:25am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jun 20 2018 11:19am)
housing them where, under which conditions? I support the idea of creating "transition centers" which have a fence around them, but are like a normal village otherwise, where illegal immigrants and their children can be detained until they are deported or admitted into the U.S.
but such transition centers would have to be built first; and until then, there are only the options I laid out before:

• put the parents to jail and the children into state custody, i.e. separate them.
  • put the parents to jail with their children.
  • dont put illegal immigrants into jail if they are accompanied by children. this would imply a return to the failed obama-era "catch and release" policies. and it would incentivize future illegal immigrants to abuse children as an "emotional human shield".

which of these options would you prefer until family-friendly but fenced transition centers are ready?

Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jun 19 2018 05:44pm)
vouch. if children arent separated from their parents who just crossed the border illegally, this either means that the children would have to accompany them into jail-like but family-friendly detainment facilities. which would be even worse than the current situation. or it would mean that illegal border crossers dont get detained at all thanks to carrying their kids with them as a sort of "emotional human shield".

so you've changed your position?

I choose this option, and god forgive me for what i'm about to say, I agree with Ted Cruz.

"Over the past few weeks, Americans have been rightly horrified by the images and videos coming from our southern border, where tearful children are being pulled away from their mothers and fathers," Sen Cruz said. "There is no doubt that this must stop, immediately.

"I hope that my Democratic colleagues can join with us to stop the crisis that is occurring at the border," Cruz added.

The bill would provide for expedited processing of cases where immigrants arrive with children so that within 14 days those who meet the legal standards will be notified they can stay and the remainder will be returned to their home country with their families. It also calls for the number of federal immigration judges to be doubled, up to 750 from 375.
Jun 20 2018 11:35am
Quote (thesnipa @ 20 Jun 2018 19:25)
so you've changed your position?

nope, but my words lacked precision, so I can see where your confusion is coming from. In my older post, I was thinking about jails with a kindergarten and play area attached. something that is 80% jail and 20% ordinary shelter. In today's post, the transition centers I was thinking about would be like a village instead of a jail, with the exception of the fence around the entire thing. they would be 20% jail and 80% shelter.

I choose this option, and god forgive me for what i'm about to say, I agree with Ted Cruz.

Cruz is a spineless, soulless opportunist who chose this topic to distance himself from Trump and deal a political blow to his rival on an issue where Cruz assumes to have a majority of the population, perhaps even a majority of republican voters, behind him. He's not acting out of conviction (he has none), no, he's simply jumping on the hearstrings-train which, at the moment, seems to be effective.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jun 20 2018 11:36am
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1373839404177Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll