d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Computer Building > Help Deciding On Where To Buy A Pc > Only A Few Choices
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 6,839.57
Feb 19 2018 08:45pm
So I'm looking to finance a laptop or pc but only the finance company affirm will allow me too at this time.

Price range $1500.00-$1.600.00

This includes ibuypower.com, xoticpc.com, and cyberpc.com

My main question is which is most reliable with proper thermal, and than my questions are which are best for the cost, and how do I build this device properly or is there a pre-build that's worth it?

I would like to get a i7, 16g ram, gtx 1060 6g, possibly with a ssd boot and than a 7200 primary. I want to make music with ableton live and the push 2 midi controller but I also would like to heavy game diablo 3, Destiny 2, pubg, ect..

Please, if you have any ideas and can let me know how to pick a decent case and to build it with good/proper thermals that will be slightly future proofed or allow me to or have room to upgrade a bit in the future if it becomes a option it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone

Last thing ibuypower gives a choice to switch to a azetech liquid cpu cooler for free, are those worth it or just a hastle for someone like me? I thought it looked cool but was worried I'd just mess something up somehow seeing as it's got liquid.

This post was edited by eyeslow on Feb 19 2018 08:55pm
Gold: Locked
Warn: 60%
Feb 20 2018 07:08am
ryzen 7 will be more future proof than an i7
also heard good things about them from people using them for music production
Gold: 84.10
Feb 20 2018 07:25am
Quote (DCSS @ Feb 20 2018 08:08am)
ryzen 7 will be more future proof than an i7
also heard good things about them from people using them for music production

no one can predict the future
both will be fine
but intel is ahead on gaming aspect by far and newer i7 is right there with multicore
next gen ryzen will be out soon which we may see big improvements, hopefully single core very close to intel

hopefully
Gold: 93,828.11
Warn: 10%
Feb 20 2018 07:46am
Quote (yupitsmeh @ Feb 20 2018 07:25am)
both will be fine
but intel is ahead on gaming aspect by far and newer i7 is right there with multicore
next gen ryzen will be out soon which we may see big improvements, hopefully single core very close to intel

hopefully

I think his arguement is that multiple gens of ryzen processors can go in a single board. Intel doesn't have this
Feb 20 2018 07:50am
Quote (yupitsmeh @ Feb 20 2018 09:25am)
both will be fine

hopefully

clock speed is the only issue ryzen has right now, being as much as 1-1.5ghz behind is devastating when ipc is virtually identical. It's a very new core though whereas intel has managed to refine the one they're for over a decade to get to where it's at in that regard so ryzen will catch up, and won't require a new motherboard when it does.

Quote (Penguins0690 @ Feb 20 2018 09:46am)
I think his arguement is that multiple gens of ryzen processors can go in a single board. Intel doesn't have this

that too and Intel sometimes even releases multiple sockets per arch. The money grubbing is ridiculous. nehalem, sandy/ivy bridge, and haswell could have all been made to work on the same socket. Same for skylake, kaby lake, and coffee lake. Hell those last 2 are are just skylake rebrands, with kaby lake having more clock speed+heat, and coffee lake having more cores.

This post was edited by DCSS on Feb 20 2018 08:06am
Feb 20 2018 08:25am
Quote (DCSS @ Feb 20 2018 08:50am)
clock speed is the only issue ryzen has right now, being as much as 1-1.5ghz behind is devastating when ipc is virtually identical. It's a very new core though whereas intel has managed to refine the one they're for over a decade to get to where it's at in that regard so ryzen will catch up, and won't require a new motherboard when it does.

that too and Intel sometimes even releases multiple sockets per arch. The money grubbing is ridiculous. nehalem, sandy/ivy bridge, and haswell could have all been made to work on the same socket. Same for skylake, kaby lake, and coffee lake. Hell those last 2 are are just skylake rebrands, with kaby lake having more clock speed+heat, and coffee lake having more cores.

Quote (Penguins0690 @ Feb 20 2018 08:46am)

its been 2 gens every chipset
arguement is mute considering if you buy something older that 2 yrs you should be buying new motherboard
look at next set of ryzen cpus you most likely will need new mobo for new memory speeds considering if and how it makes a huge impact on performance along with other features

not sure if you remember am2 to am3+ days yes you got compatibility but lost out on faster memory compatibility and features such as sata speeds usb etc

Quote (DCSS @ Feb 20 2018 08:50am)

bulldozer was new arch and where is that now?

no one knows the future
but hopefully this massive multi core designs will lead developers to fucking quit being lazy and make shit for them

I dont believe in future proofing its ridiculous
via or someother company could release a modern cpu killer anyday unlikely yes but still there
there are few company startups looking at that possibility, could link articles if I have time to find them

This post was edited by yupitsmeh on Feb 20 2018 08:41am
Feb 20 2018 09:13am
Quote (yupitsmeh @ Feb 20 2018 10:25am)
bulldozer was new arch and where is that now?

bulldozer came out the gate with lower IPC than its predecessor, it was DOA and everyone knew it. I still remember people on forums in denial about how slow zambezi was compared to deneb, desperately clinging to cherrypicked multicore benchmarks vs sandy bridge in hopes that it would all turn out okay.

Despite how much of a dud it was, it did actually get substantially better compared to what it initially was. Even if Ryzen, which has already risen the bar substantially in its first iteration, can only see the same percentile gains over its revisions in terms of IPC it will be very successful. But since it is so successful, you can bet it will have a lot more invested in its refinement than what Bulldozer got from its first iteration up to Piledriver, and that's not even considering the clock speed it will doubtless gain.

I certainly dont think Ryzen and Bulldozer releases can be compared anyway, i was quite in awe at how Ryzen matched/exceeded broadwell-e clock for clock with equal cores. Bulldozer was disappointing from the start.

arguement is mute considering if you buy something older that 2 yrs you should be buying new motherboard

the point is you can keep putting new cpu's in a motherboard you bought years ago. Most motherboards last longer than 2 years in my experience, I mean my lga 775 rig logged nearly a decade of power-on hours with no issues aside from the usual hard drive/power supply deaths, before I ended up shelving it while still operational. This seems like an inteldrone viewpoint that new cpu's shouldn't fit in older motherboards and everyone should just dumpster them and give Intel more money because it doesn't have usb 3.1.

look at next set of ryzen cpus you most likely will need new mobo for new memory speeds considering if and how it makes a huge impact on performance along with other features

not sure if you remember am2 to am3+ days yes you got compatibility but lost out on faster memory compatibility and features such as sata speeds usb etc

I don't see how the fact that you won't get the latest version of SATA/USB or whatever makes it less future proof than an intel platform when you can stick a later gen, faster cpu into it which you can't do on intel. You can have older features + new cpu with AMD a few years down the line or older features + old cpu with Intel.

I dont believe in future proofing its ridiculous
via or someother company could release a modern cpu killer anyday unlikely yes but still there
there are few company startups looking at that possibility, could link articles if I have time to find them

the world could end tomorrow too, the point of life is you prepare for the foreseeable future as best you can, and right now intel is not the way to go for that.

This post was edited by DCSS on Feb 20 2018 09:42am
Gold: 6,839.57
Feb 20 2018 11:15am
I am stuck with the mother boards ibuypower, exotic pc, and cyberpc offer because affirm is the only finance company that will help me, I only have 500 cash and am approved for 1,000 by affirm.

I believe on ibuypower it's the z370, z270, x299, and b250? Than a few ryzen boards but I didn't look at them because I had no clue if Ryzen was worth it because all sites I read said i7 for ableton.

I was thinking of using the z370 or z270 mainly but here's one of the setups I tweaked to have the i7 gtx 1060 6g and 16g ram...i can't post a link with the upgrades I put but if you guys can lmk if it's maybe worth it to use most this build and I use the promo code Valentine for 5% off at checkout so I can add a few extra bucks if it's worth it, also I'm still confused if the asetech liquid cooler is worth it or if the regular rgb one they give is better?

https://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Intel-Z370-i5-Launch-Special/E/8539380

This post was edited by eyeslow on Feb 20 2018 11:17am
Feb 20 2018 12:09pm
Quote (DCSS @ Feb 20 2018 10:13am)
bulldozer came out the gate with lower IPC than its predecessor, it was DOA and everyone knew it. I still remember people on forums in denial about how slow zambezi was compared to deneb, desperately clinging to cherrypicked multicore benchmarks vs sandy bridge in hopes that it would all turn out okay.

Despite how much of a dud it was, it did actually get substantially better compared to what it initially was. Even if Ryzen, which has already risen the bar substantially in its first iteration, can only see the same percentile gains over its revisions in terms of IPC it will be very successful. But since it is so successful, you can bet it will have a lot more invested in its refinement than what Bulldozer got from its first iteration up to Piledriver, and that's not even considering the clock speed it will doubtless gain.

I certainly dont think Ryzen and Bulldozer releases can be compared anyway, i was quite in awe at how Ryzen matched/exceeded broadwell-e clock for clock with equal cores. Bulldozer was disappointing from the start.

the point is you can keep putting new cpu's in a motherboard you bought years ago. Most motherboards last longer than 2 years in my experience, I mean my lga 775 rig logged nearly a decade of power-on hours with no issues aside from the usual hard drive/power supply deaths, before I ended up shelving it while still operational. This seems like an inteldrone viewpoint that new cpu's shouldn't fit in older motherboards and everyone should just dumpster them and give Intel more money because it doesn't have usb 3.1.

I don't see how the fact that you won't get the latest version of SATA/USB or whatever makes it less future proof than an intel platform when you can stick a later gen, faster cpu into it which you can't do on intel. You can have older features + new cpu with AMD a few years down the line or older features + old cpu with Intel.

the world could end tomorrow too, the point of life is you prepare for the foreseeable future as best you can, and right now intel is not the way to go for that.

lol I'm not going into details and statistics of what would be the more worthy upgrade in couple yrs but we both know gpu would offer more performance

everything he listed benefits from intel cpu right now, unless he is mixing 8 sim tracks on ableton

OP can you qualify for newegg credit?

Gold: 39,837.69
Feb 20 2018 01:44pm
Quote (eyeslow @ Feb 19 2018 09:45pm)
So I'm looking to finance a laptop or pc but only the finance company affirm will allow me too at this time.

Price range $1500.00-$1.600.00

This includes ibuypower.com, xoticpc.com, and cyberpc.com

My main question is which is most reliable with proper thermal, and than my questions are which are best for the cost, and how do I build this device properly or is there a pre-build that's worth it?

I would like to get a i7, 16g ram, gtx 1060 6g, possibly with a ssd boot and than a 7200 primary. I want to make music with ableton live and the push 2 midi controller but I also would like to heavy game diablo 3, Destiny 2, pubg, ect..

Please, if you have any ideas and can let me know how to pick a decent case and to build it with good/proper thermals that will be slightly future proofed or allow me to or have room to upgrade a bit in the future if it becomes a option it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone

Last thing ibuypower gives a choice to switch to a azetech liquid cpu cooler for free, are those worth it or just a hastle for someone like me? I thought it looked cool but was worried I'd just mess something up somehow seeing as it's got liquid.

Are you close to microcenter? Better option than those sites
Go Back To Computer Building Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll