d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Well My Prebuilt Is On Fire Already, Any Ideas?
Prev123
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 8,590.00
Feb 21 2018 05:52am
Quote (Shinigami @ Feb 21 2018 09:31am)
I've got paste, wrist strap, everything I need but, it's just this warranty risk, and not knowing if this is the guaranteed issue I'm having or not.

Is an overheating CPU always just a problem of the Cooler / Heatsink / Paste / Airflow / Mobo (some combination of these) or can a CPU heatup because the CPU itself is defect?

send it back if its warranty

it's 99.99% going to be the cooler not seated properly
Gold: 0.00
Feb 21 2018 11:57am
i dont see anything about case fans on ur pc specs... if its a stock cooler on the cpu in a small case packed with hardware (big gpu,dvd,ssd,hdd) and bad cable management and no case fans - it gets hot in there

a pc like this need case fans, intake and outake - make sure u have that - and clean build for better airflow

Gold: 625.69
Feb 21 2018 07:21pm
Hey guys, so another update: I went ahead and called them, and the guy told me that opening case would void warranty, but I guess I talked him into letting me check if CPU fan is loose, so I did that, and yeah, the right side wasn't secured =P

I'm in Path of Exile on that PC now and the CPU is at about 40c, max temp it has read so far is just under 70c, seems to bounce around between that, much better than before. I didn't check about the thermal paste, which I imagine could use reapplying if the heatsink was loose this whole time, but not sure if I should go that extra step because that might actually be the deal breaker warranty wise.

Regardless, the Mobo still reads 120c, so that looks like it's definitely broken sensor, and the guy on phone said he has one final PC he can hold for me if I want to replace it, so there's my question, should I send this in to get the Mobo sensor fixed? Otherwise the PC seems to finally be in working order.

Also, thanks for all the help in general... you guys are seriously awesome :P

ps: If I do send it in, how shall I keep my data safe? (for example, I logged into steam on this, and registered windows with my email, are these risks to my login info?)

This post was edited by Shinigami on Feb 21 2018 07:24pm
Gold: 0.00
Feb 22 2018 06:40am
yaaaay u opened it :D gz mayn.. but waow the cpu cooler wasent in place? haha omg :wallbash:

probably not worth returning it then :D might be that mobo in general

edit: did u look at case fans?

This post was edited by Haj on Feb 22 2018 06:41am
Gold: Locked
Warn: 60%
Feb 22 2018 07:16am
one of many reasons to avoid prebuilts, it's as easy as putting together lego's and yet a company that does it for a living manages to mess it up smh

though it could have came loose in shipping to be fair.. the possible side effects of a full build getting knocked around in shipping yet another reason to avoid prebuilts

This post was edited by DCSS on Feb 22 2018 07:16am
Gold: 94,678.11
Warn: 10%
Feb 22 2018 07:00pm
Gold: 10,655.00
Feb 24 2018 06:06am
Quote (Shinigami @ Feb 21 2018 08:21pm)
Hey guys, so another update: I went ahead and called them, and the guy told me that opening case would void warranty, but I guess I talked him into letting me check if CPU fan is loose, so I did that, and yeah, the right side wasn't secured =P

I'm in Path of Exile on that PC now and the CPU is at about 40c, max temp it has read so far is just under 70c, seems to bounce around between that, much better than before. I didn't check about the thermal paste, which I imagine could use reapplying if the heatsink was loose this whole time, but not sure if I should go that extra step because that might actually be the deal breaker warranty wise.

Regardless, the Mobo still reads 120c, so that looks like it's definitely broken sensor, and the guy on phone said he has one final PC he can hold for me if I want to replace it, so there's my question, should I send this in to get the Mobo sensor fixed? Otherwise the PC seems to finally be in working order.

Also, thanks for all the help in general... you guys are seriously awesome :P

ps: If I do send it in, how shall I keep my data safe? (for example, I logged into steam on this, and registered windows with my email, are these risks to my login info?)

Bad sensor for the motherboard is really just inconvenient. Up to you really whether you exchange for another one.

Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Prev123
Add Reply New Topic New Poll